Too Good a Sub to Make a Teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mrs_Goatess, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

I've been substituting for two years now, and in that time I've been applying for full-time positions. My work calender is normally very full (I've six days schedualed this month, and teachers came back the day before yesterday). I've interviewed four times with no luck. I'm certainly not blackballed, because I get a ton of work, but I've gotten no job offers.

My question is this: is it possible that a district would rather keep a good sub than make him/her a full-time teacher and lose a substitute?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

that may very well be the case. This might be a good time to consider subbing in other districts. It's really a catch-22. You have to do a good job as a sub, but you never know if it will lead to anything permanent.

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 4, 2006

I agree! :)

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

So might there be a county-wide conspiracy between administrators: "Don't hire her! She's our favorite sub!"?

6. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

It is not a conspiracy, it is an unspoken policy in all school districts through out. I sub in PA and it is the same thing here. I am good at doing my job and I get request to come and be the sub. School districts DO NOT want to lose their good subs. I still keep subbing and still keep applying for my own classroom. I suggest that you look at other school districts not to sub but to apply for a job.

7. SubbingMama

SubbingMama Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

I had something weird happen in high school. We had an awesome sub, whom all of the students liked. She interviewed to be a full-time teacher, but was denied because she was "too nice" and admin said she would not be strict enough to be a good teacher. Isn't that ridiculous?! I would assume a good sub=a good teacher, but...maybe I'm wrong.