Too familiar with my name?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jul 12, 2012.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

I have a VERY popular name. I used to hate it, only because I had to use my give name and last initial. Now it's not so bad. I still know many people with that name, but I no longer have to use my last initial to distinguish myself. I use the shortened version of my name, but I don't mind if people use the longer version. It's not a big deal either way to me. I answer to pretty much anything. Just don't call me by my first name. That's my mother's name.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

I have a name like this. I go by my full name, and introduce myself using my full first name. It never ceases to amaze me how many people shorten it immediately after my introduction!! It drives me crazy!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

Same here, although there are always shy kids that don't speak up. I tell them - I will know your name by the end of the day so if you don't speak up now, forget it. I am calling you what's in the role book. lol.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2012

I don't mind when people shorten my name. I have a super weird name and not that many people have heard of it- but it can be shortened. With strangers I almost always get the awkward, "Oh...umm...that's a pretty name!" that people always say to something weird, haha. Some of my friends say the full version and others use the nickname. This thread made me think of one of my good friends though- her name is Rachel and if people call her "Rach" she will absolutely go off on them!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

I just watched a MLB game. The coach's name is a 1 syllable name. The announcers, they were national announcers, put an additional syllable at the end "y".

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2012

I'm glad I have a short name-no one calls me by a nickname. But I've definitely had problems with my last name growing up. My maiden name was pretty difficult for people to pronounce-I've heard all kinds of weird things. Now my married name is a very easy name!

7. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 14, 2012

My name is Christina. I've been called a lot of names other than just Christina over the years. Let's see....
    • Christine
    • Chris
    • Chrissy
    • Tina
    • Teen (a nickame from my dad- I don't mind him calling me that he has since I was little- I do mind random people calling me that though!)
    • Christie
    • Christiana
    • Kristin
    • Stina
    • Steen

I don't mind being called Chris. Most of my family and friends call me Chris and some people from work call me Chris as well but they asked if they could call me that. I've been called a lot of these names by random people.
    :dizzy:

8. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

Growing up I hated being called by a nickname. In preschool my teacher kept calling me by my least favorite of the nicknames. I remember saying something along the lines of, "That's not my name!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:" The teacher kindly informed me, "Well that is what you wrote on the paper." :eek:hmy: SOMEONE had taught me to write my nickname and not my real name. I was not a happy child.:lol: