Too early for Christmas still

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2007

the official start date

The official start date for Christmas is the day after Thanksgiving..

Somehow, the retail industry dubbed it "Black Friday" Now, don't get me started on my racism soap box! :rolleyes:

But the idea was, all the biggest sales started at 5 am! Almost everyone gets the day after Thanksgiving off. Don't know who is home with the kids who are not dragged out in the streets to shop!

In my house, we didn't do Christmas at home until that Friday when we were out of school. Seems like it felt sooo much nicer, and cozier.

we took down decorations after New Years.

When I got my first apartment, I put up a little tree. I must have been 20 or so, yeah, 20 exactly.

You know, when I got up on Christmas Day, I was actually a little sad! I really believed that something extra would be under my tree! :unsure: I guess you never stop believing...

then, flash foward to a few years. I was separated from my STRANGE, not estranged! husband, I took refuge in a shelter. My daughter and I shared a bunk bed (I refused to let her sleep alone with our crazy roomates so close :()

We had a special dinner that night. I had been on kitchen duty, and I saw all the great food that was donated. Then I realized how important it was to help food pantries.

They asked us to write down 3 things we wanted (for our kids).

At 6 am, somebody opened our door, and tossed in some bags.

Me and my roommate woke up, and woke up our kids. I had some nice dress pants (which I didn't expect!), and my daughter had some toys, and her first Cabbage Patch doll.

sigh!

this is making me sad... :(

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 13, 2007

There is nothing racial about the term Black Friday. It's the day businesses that have been in the red all year (losing money) can have a complete turn around and be in the black (making a profit).

Your story is very heartwarming. I have always donated to the canned food drives at school, and I know it goes to a good cause, but I have never really known how the holidays were celebrated in shelters if at all. I'm sure it is different everywhere you go, but this is just such a good story. It exemplifies what/who Santa really is-the spirit of giving. Just reading this makes me want to go buy something for the Toys for Tots drive the Marines hold every year. I don't even know where the drop off points are this year.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2007

yeah...

when I lived in L.A. area, one year, the bus company took can goods for bus fare! For two weeks, you could ride for free, just donating a canned item. some folks were cheap, putting a can of tomato sauce or package of gravy mix. some actually went "shopping", and switched their can for two more cans of something they wanted!

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 16, 2007

Today the kids started singing/humming Christmas music. Now it's stuck in my head! Oh well. It's getting closer and closer to that time. I might start putting on the Christmas music in the classroom soon. I need a smiley that is singing joyfully! :angel:

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2007

For years, Walgreens was my favorite store for Christmas decorating. It had everything, there's one on every corner, and last minute gifts and stuff were really cheap!

now, I have second thoughts, since they messed me around when I worked for them! :mad: And, I know all there products are pretty much made in China, which starts to worry me about having these things around my kids. They used to have real good assortment of gift wrap, tree trimmings and toys. Now, they are cheap and flimsy, have that weird smell, and don't look as nice as they used to. :(

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

I have no accounting background, but here is how I understand it:

At one point in time, when your business was losing money, those numbers were written in red ink to make them stand out (the same way that many of us record failing grades in red.) When you started to break even, you could switch back to the traditional black ink.

For many retailers, the day after Thanksgiving is the day when their books can finally be written in black ink, hence the name Black Friday.

No racisim implied or intended.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 17, 2007

That's exactly what it is. The day after Thanksgiving many businesses are able to go from being "in the red" to "in the black" because of all the sales they make. Therefore, the day after Thanksgiving is "Black Friday." I don't even understand how that could be misinterpreted as racist. What would it be implying?

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2007

I was just on a racism kick, a little leftover from the remarks I got during an interview. Previous thread over principal who asked me a question I felt inappropriate...

I went on a tirade every time I saw the word black. :rolleyes:

You know that lady is still trying to get me to work for her?!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

Sorry, after the whole "ADD/racism" thread I'm guessing I see a problem where there is none.

Back to Christmas: I just ordered some Dale & Thomas popcorn for my BIL and Vera Bradley bags for his 2 twentysomething daughters. (Discontinued styles/patterns get free shipping and a free $10 gift :) )

Gotta LOOOOVVVVEEE the internet!!!

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 17, 2007

Aliceacc- What is a BIL?

:blush: I feel really old and out of it right now

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 17, 2007

I feel really bad about singing Christmas songs right now, but our play is on December 11th. They need the time to learn them. I'm sure the parents keep hearing them at home and are talking how we are about starting Christmas before Thanksgiving.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

Sorry: Brother In Law

I don't know how I let that one get by; I hate all the abbreviations and normally don't use them. I figure that I'm never so crunched for time that I can't spell a whole word. I must be more tired than I realized.

My apologies.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 17, 2007

No need to apologize. My 15 year old son did not know what it was either. I don't feel so old now.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2007

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2007

(looking even more than usually schoolmarmish)

Liturgically, it isn't Christmas till Christmas Eve at sunset, and it stays Christmas through the Epiphany, Jan. 6 (which is actually on Sunday this year). We've still got Advent to get through...

... and yes, of course I know this is a lost cause.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2007

Not completely lost, no.

But I don't exactly see Madison Ave (or me either, to be honest) waiting until the Advent wreath is lit until starting to think about Christmas.

My kids are just about done :)

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

Here's the deal at our house. Thanksgiving will be at our house, but not Christmas. We all go to our son's. SOOOOOOOO, none of my family will get to see out Christmas tree.....unless we have one up for Thanksgiving(everyone lives far away.) WHat would you do? A.Put up the tree for Thanksgiving
    B. Don't put up the tree, but put out other Christmas nic nacs, wreaths, etc.
    C. Don't worry about it...just leave up fall decorations

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2007

D. Put up all YOUR favorites (with or without the tree) and have a Christmas just for YOU :)

For me that would include the tree, but not everyone would agree.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

I say if you want to put your tree up - put it up! I am planning on putting mine up next weekend, if I can get these last 12 boxes unpacked...

20. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 18, 2007

We put our fake tree up yesterday. We have no other choice but to do a fake one. Both my kids and I are allergic. :( It wasn't as easy as my husband and I imagined! We had to shape it into a "real" tree. I love putting the decorations up early, more time for me to enjoy it! I went to target today to look for some more ornaments, NOT a good selection at all. I still am in need of some more as we up sized instead of downsizing from our last tree we had for 5 years. My kids and mostly my husband insisted on the largest one at the store.

As for the outside decorations it was rainy today so I didn't get to that yet. Stockings are on the fire place and Christmas CD's are out!

I found the BEST candles called Beanpod yesterday while we were out...

http://www.beanpodcandle.com/beanpod/

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

when I went out of town for Xmas, I did not put up a tree. I knew by the time I came back, it would be New Years, and that's when I take mine down. I think my grown daughter was a little sad about that, in retrospect. You gotta figure these things out, they never tell you.

besides, I was too nervous about something catching fire, even if it wasn't plugged in.

I only had a real tree when I lived in L.A. love the smell, hate the mess! Pine needles and Easter grass...never see the end of them!

I think each year, technology is making it easier for folks to be lazy! Pre-lit tree, fiber optic tree, oraments included!

For goodness sake! ...that is the best part! untangling the lights, just to find out they don't work. Hanging all the blue bulbs one one side. Putting up the cutesy school ornaments that your kid now thinks is disgusting. Putting the star or angel on the top. :haha:

quick poll...

what's going on top of your tree?

a. angel
    b. star
    c. cherished ornament
    d. other _____________

22. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2007

d. other ----we never put anything up on top.

Real tree here always, I could never imagine a Christmas with an artificial tree. We will go cut it down this Friday and put it up Saturday. It does last until Christmas since we cut it fresh. The ones in the lots have been cut down for weeks at least.

23. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2007

24. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2007

Ok all this talking about Christmas I decided to pt up my tree right now! Check out my avatar!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

Best Christmas Cartoon Ever!

Oh Emma! That just makes me think about Charlie Brown's Christmas tree!

That to me, is by far, the best Christmas cartoon ever.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas."

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2007

Master Pre-K I think I am the only one in the entire world that really hates those Charlie Brown movies.

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

WOOHOO!!! Thank you TG! I have to go through this explanation with my kids every year it seems. And this is at a Catholic school! Actually, it's just a reminder that Christmas comes on very slowly...that's why I only put up a couple decorations at a time. Well, that and I'm just so busy I can hardly remember to take a potty break.

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

I vote for C. There are only about 1,000 other things to worry about.

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

Which tree? I have four. The tallest if only four feet. I ended up buying a set of three skinny ones a couple years ago to accomodate all the ornaments I have collected over the years via Hallmark and students. Toward the top of one I always hang a sand dollar ornament. There is a poem on the back that I can't remember right now, but I love reading it every year before hanging the ornament. It's the only thing the trees can support without them tipping over. Needless to say, I have artificial

My parents (i.e. Dad) insist on real trees. I never had a fake until I moved into my apartment. I love the real ones, mess and all. The only problem is that I'm allergic to the sap. I break out into hives if the needles touch my skin, and I'm always roped into helping put the thing up. So, picture me in a turtleneck, sweatshirt, gloves, and sleeves rubberbanded around my wrists trying to hold up an eight-foot tree with someone else while my dad is on his back trying to secure the chains around the branches and determine if the tree is straight. I require I be fore warned of the event so I can load up on Benadryl.

30. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 18, 2007

Okay Emma you inspired me to get a Christmas/winter avatar. Even though it's not even Thanksgiving yet! Teehee :)

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2007

please elightened me, one and all .... I missed that Sunday School lesson!

I get an Advent calendar every year, stick a check in it...and I know I am missing the true meaning... I should stick a quarter in each day to remember my church...

please tell me more...

my other churches never talked about Advent... :unsure:

32. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 21, 2007

Simply put, Advent is a time of preparation for Christmas. It is the first season of the liturgical year in the Catholic Church and begins four Sundays before Christmas Day. During this time of preparation we read from the books of the prophets (especially Isaiah) and their prophecies of the coming Christ. It is to be a quiet time, not really one of full of rejoicing. Traditionally (going way back here, long before the stores decided the Christmas season began on the Friday after Thanksgiving) Christians would spend this time getting the house ready, praying, preparing their homes and selves for the birth of the Lord. There were no decorations put up or Christmas music played until Christmas Eve evening. It's not a sad time, just more for quiet reflection. I don't know if any or which Protestant denominations celebrate Advent.

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2007

And that's how it was when I was growing up, runs. Our parents put up the tree on Christmas Eve after we were asleep. You can imagine how magical Christmas morning was. The anticipation! We always had an advent wreath and a creche displayed, but no other decorations inside. The tree (live) stayed up until Epiphany. Christmas wasn't over on the 26th!

One year I lived in Puerto Rico, and the season was wonderful. On January 6th, there was a parade through the streets of Old San Juan with people dressed as kings riding live camels to celebrate the feast of Tres Reinas (Three Kings).

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2007

thanks RWS and upsy ! Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

It's snowing here in Chicago!

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2007

Ooooohhhh, snow for Thanksgiving. What a treat! Have a great one.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2007

HGTV-home for the holidays... decorating 101 on now...

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 23, 2007

We got snow too! Just enough to make things festive and set the mood for Christmas. Very pretty!

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 24, 2007

It never snows where I am. I wish it would! The closest it ever came to snowing was hail for a couple of minutes maybe once every few yrs. One od these days, I'm going to spend a winter holiday in a state where it actually snows.

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2007

well come on down! or up or over! we get snow as early as October and all the way to April.

HGTV had a holiday decorating special. they made some instant snow!

one program where I worked put snow in their water table! wonder if my sp. ed. pre-k kids can handle that!!

40. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2007

Did anyone else forget that Thanksgiving came early this year and put up Advent decorations a week early???? :eek:

The girls just finished decorating a gingerbread house and took about a million pictures of it. awwww.... :)