Too Childish for 5th Grade? Any advice would be welcomed!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kristyciera, Jun 6, 2006.

1. kristyciera

kristyciera Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

Hi everyone! I just finished my first year of teaching and, of course, have decided to do some things MUCH differently this coming school year. I've been reading a book that talks about doing a bulletin board that you keep up all year where students have their own square and you change what you put up there (seasonal/holiday-oriented, work that goes with units, etc). I lvoe this idea, but unfortunately, I only have one bulletin board in my room, which I use as my jobs/responsibilities and classroom management display. Would it be too childish to put something in the hallway where each child has their own laminated "square" with a nametag and a clothes pin attached to it? I've seen this done a lot in lower grades, but wasn't sure if it was too babyish for 5th grade. If so, anybody else have any ideas? Thanks so much!!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2006

My kids loved having their stuff in the hall. I don't think 5th is too young at all for something like that. (In fact, it's a really good idea that I may "borrow"! :D

4. kristyciera

kristyciera Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

My kids loved it too! You know, teaching is a profession of constant borrowing!! :)

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 6, 2006

Oh my! The fifth graders I've worked with would love this! Who doesn't want their good work on display? I will borrow this...you could even take their picture and write their name under it and place on a design that child made, laminate and use for your tag in the hallway, identifying their work. This really personalizes it! Plus, it's a memento the child can take home at the end of the year. I must add, they love seeing pictures of themselves too!

6. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 8, 2006

Fifth graders would be all for this arrangement. The only thing that I caution you about with the photos is infringing on FERPA. There are certain precautions and guidelines that you may need to follow to protect the identity of your students. I don't even put names on lockers anymore... just numbers for that very reason.

Back to your concerns about whether or not 5th graders would grove for this, I would say, "Yes", without hesitation.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2006

We have been told that we can post either names or photos, but not both of them together (unless it is a general name list)

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 8, 2006

I don't teach 5th grade, but I do a bulletin board just like that. We call it our Star Writer's Board and each student's name is on a star in his/her "square". Whenever they publish new work they get to post it on the board. They love it! It's a great way for parents/admin/other teachers to see what your kids are working on. I don't think it would be to childish for 5th grade at all. :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2006

I, too, would be hesitant to post the child's name next to a picture. You have no control over the psychos that have access to the school (on election day, for example, or to make a delivery, even to speak to their child's teacher). It's probably not a good idea to make any child identifiable.

But I think the idea is a great one!

10. kristyciera

kristyciera Rookie

Jun 8, 2006

I had never even thought about the problems I might encounter by doing names and pictures. Maybe I'll let my kids decide. I'm looking forward to starting this in August and am probably most excited b/c it means I won't have to completely change my hallway display every month or so- ha! :p

11. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jun 8, 2006

Don't forget that if you do pictures, the kids may have their names on the work they post.

12. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 9, 2006

Not at all too baby-ish, I love my work displayed at age 26! =-P

Hannah

13. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 11, 2006

As an avid scrapbooker I do a lot with pictures in the classroom/school. As a school, we have a very long form that each parent must sign about the picture thing, along with audio taping and video taping. This form includes examples of how their pictures will be used...bulletin boards, classroom displays, etc. For our fifth graders the school purchased each child a DVD of their fifth grade year. I took pictures of the graduation, pool party, D.C. trip, and set it to music using Windows Moviemaker. Next year we are going to have pictures from the entire year on the DVD. The parents love seeing the pictures as much as the students do. We also do the pictures with the citizenship awards in the hall. Like I said, we have the parents fill out the form at the beginning of the year...I don't think we've ever had a no on the pictures! I do however understand the concern with the picture and posting student work. I would definitely do first names for the hallway. With my job chart in my classroom last year I did pictures and names but I guess since that was in my classroom and it wasn't academic work, it didn't matter. The chart with the pictures was great for the students to remember names.

Just a question about the picture/name thing...how do you have a school yearbook if placing a picture with a name is a problem?