Too busy for homework

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jd123, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 10, 2014

We- my fellow first grade teachers - assign most of our homework from Pearsons/SuccessNet online. We assign an activity each day rather than opening up the homework for the whole week, as we want to teach the concepts before the students have access to the assignment at home.
    Many parents are requesting that we open up the assignments days before we want to because their children have other activities on certain days. One parent wanted one of my co-workers to assign HW on the Friday before so her child could do all her HW over the weekend. And here is an email I just got from one of my parents:

"Can you please make available all the Pearsons week's homework on Monday so "Suzy" can do at her convenience. She is busy on Tuesday and Thursday and needs to do most of her homework on Mondays and Wednesday."

How do you feel about these accommodations? I know families are busy, but I don't want students working on concepts I haven't taught. And my HW shouldn't take much more than 10-15 minutes per night.

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 10, 2014

Could you compromise, and open up the homework each day as you teach it, but give them maybe 2-3 nights before you will check?

4. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 10, 2014

What ever I assign, I keep it opened for the week. If something is opened on Monday, it stays opened all week. If I assign something on Wednesday, it stays open for the rest of the week. I just hesitate opening Wednesday's or Thursday's lessons/HW on Monday and Tuesday.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 10, 2014

My daughter's 1st grade teacher had a week long packet of stuff. Sometimes we did it daily. If she was busy, she did a couple of days at a time. It wasn't much work. I mean, it is just first grade.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 10, 2014

If you're giving them a week after you've taught the lesson, there's no reason to change what you're doing. They could do the week's homework the weekend after you've taught it, instead of the weekend before, if students have to do it on a certain day.

Also, I get that families are very busy, but have difficulty in seeing how it is hard in a general situation to find 15 minutes in a day to sit down for homework. Even a kid who has an activity for an hour or two each day after school still probably has some free time at some point in the evening. Did they watch any TV the night they couldn't do their homework? What did they do after karate or violin lessons? And if a child is honestly shuttled around from after school until sleep - to swimming, Mandarin class, and then piano lessons, with dinner in there somewhere - keeping up this schedule and good grades as well is going to get harder as the student gets older. Just my :2cents:

7. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

Thank you for your comments. Students have the whole week to do Monday's HW. On Tues, they have Tues, Wed. and Thurs. But come Wednesday, they only have Wed. and Thurs for it and on Thurs., they just have Thurs. (we don't assign anything on Friday or over the weekend). I hope that made sense! That seems to be the challenge for parents who have a lot planned on Wed. or Thurs. I agree that as students get older, keeping up a busy schedule AND good grades gets harder. Their teachers may not accept that kids have other activities that keep them from doing homework as assigned.

8. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

If that's the case, why not make the following Monday the due date so they at least have the weekend to work on it as well?

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2014

I have always thought that we needed to teach our children that school is their most important job...after school activities and sports should not be as important...

However, things have changed over the years. Parents now feel that a child's life after school should be completely filled with extracurricular activities...and schoolwork should come second.

So, since you can't change reality, the suggestion to keep homework open until Mon is a good idea. I would not open homework before you teach the lesson.

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

Parents need to do their job- parenting = teaching their child responsibility, respect for authority, discipline, manners, good character and moral values, the importance of a good education, etc. and let teachers do their jobs in the classroom (all of the above, plus!)!
    Homework is assigned for re-enforcing what has been taught as well as teaching responsibility... Since when do the parents dictate what, when, how, homework is to be given or how long they should have to work on it?!! And they would expect you work around every child's schedule - or - oh - no - wait, just their child's, right? Really?! :rolleyes: I can't imagine teachers telling the parents how to do their jobs. It's crazy, unbelievable! They just undermine teacher's authority more all the time! :mad: No wonder so many children are the way they are today. As the saying goes, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And not only is it sad, but it is also scary because unfortunately it only gets worse every year.
    Yes, I know, I know, not all fall in the same category but if you've worked with children for a number of years you know it's not the same anymore. :( Teachers spend so much time and energy on teaching expectations in the classroom, parents should be teaching those expectations as well. :2cents:

11. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

Well said, jlj.
    As far as keeping HW open through the weekend, I thought about that, but I prefer to have the week's work done by Friday and not deal with it over the weekend. Just my preference.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2014

Fittingly, I had a discussion with my math group today about this very thing... *sigh*

There's always time to fit it in, if the teacher made the work reasonable. And if not, well, they're in for a rude awakening in middle school! :)

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 12, 2014

This is one of those 'life lessons'.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 14, 2014

I've had this situation before, except my homework was due the next day. I wouldn't give homework before I had taught it. I explained that to the parents. If they didn't get it done on time, they turned it in late and lost points.

Eventually I decided that rather then grading homework nightly, I wanted to grade it weekly so I went to a homework packet. My homework packet was a review of last week's work.

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

swan~ You are so right. Parents have their priorities mixed up. Though extracurricular activities are nice, school should be given the priority. I would explain to the parent that the reason that I can't or won't do this is because I haven't taught the lesson.

16. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 15, 2014

I agree, although I have a feeling that there will be parents who will tell me that their child will be able to do the homework anyway before I actually teach that lesson/concept.

There are parts of the homework packet that can be done at their convenience, such as work on Spelling City. But the math has to be done when assigned. Hopefully, that will be a good compromise.