too aggressive or just assertive?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ghost, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

I am opening a new unit for my new school. I have not asked for any supply money because I filled the room with my own things. But I was shocked there wasn't a student computer when there are kids with it on IEP's. I've been talking to anyone I think will listen about getting one, have applied for one through Donors Choose and have solicited "gently used" ones from the staff. Then the closet they gave me for changing diapers is just that. I brought in my own storage racks for clothes and diapers and bought a diaper pail on my own, but then I asked for a shelf to hold the gloves and disinfectant...and since there is no sink nearby I also asked for a hand sanitizer dispenser installed. Then I bugged the nurse and the sped. director for latex free gloves (I'm allergic) Finally, when my brittle diabetic collapsed on the playground and we didn't have a radio, I asked for one for the room (the other special ed. classes have one).

All of my requests have been answered very positively and if I haven't gotten them yet, they are on order (radio). My question is, am I being too pushy like my dh says or am I just advocating for my kids, like I say I am?:confused:

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

Sounds like advocating to me. You're not asking for anything out of the ordinary for what your kiddos need.

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I say you are advocating! I would be doing the SAME thing!!! Good luck!

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 17, 2008

You are advocating. :)

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

I totally agree that you are advocating for your students. Pushy would be demanding things that are not reasonable in the course of your duty as an educator. (think laptops for every student [barring IEP mandates], personal copier in the classroom, etc...any over the top request)

Yours have been very reasonable.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

I agree with everything else. You're asking for things that directly pertain to the health and safety of you and your students, and things required by their IEP's. That's in no way unreasonable.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

And keep it up. The kids need you on their side.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

You totally have to ask for what you need! They have to know that you need some things to make this new unit work and everything you have asked for is reasonable and appropriate :2up:

10. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Especially if other teachers have resources like a radio and a computer it is reasonable to ask for them.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I'm sorry, but any teacher who teaches children with the needs that your kids have can be as aggressive as they as they @#$% well please.

I doubt that few, if anyone, at your school has the cajones to do what you do.

If getting the things you need for your students means being turbo psychotic medieval mongol viking motorcycle gang aggressive, it's still "advocacy" as far as I'm concerned because of what you do and who you do it for.:up:

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

Pushy would be wanting the most expensive computer set up out there with all the bells and whistles. :) You are wanting what the other teachers may have... computers for their students.

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

I feel better now. Thanks! Whoo Hoo! Sarge thinks I have cajones :lol: