Tonsils

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

Has anyone on here had issues with tonsils, especially during the school year? I got sick six or seven times this past year because of them and had to go to the emergency room once, as well as rush to the doctor three other times. I had to leave school early twice.

I'm getting them out later this morning at 11:30. I was just very curious whether you have ever had problems with them during your teaching career and had to get surgery. I've only had surgery on wisdom teeth, so part of me is leery because of anesthesia and not being able to eat much for a week or so.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

My daughter had hers out at age 12. Lots of cold things--Icees and popsicles. It certainly helped her to be well.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

Mine are GIANT pretty much all year. They touch if I am sick. I will most likely have to get them out soon, I am just too chicken. :) I do wonder if it is related to work, as I seem to get strep several times a year. But I have always had large tonsils.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2009

Well, not tonsils.

But I had a mastectomy on the 7th day of school last September.

Hang in there, and follow my mom's advice after surgery: "Lift nothing heavier than a tea cup."

Feel better!!

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

I tend to have throat issues all year long. It is a combination of talking all day and living in a very, very dusty area. It has improved dramatically the last two years since we got classroom sound systems though.

This upcoming year I'm moving to a room without one and I'll be interested to see if the problems return.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

My ENT told my family that my tonsils were huge with micro-scarring from repeated infections. So Silverspoon65, I'd really look into the surgery- I am squeamish and was somewhat freaked out before this surgery, but now I feel like I can breathe better already. I am quite tired, though, and may go back to sleep after a little while.

8. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 15, 2009

Hope you feel better soon and heal quickly!

9. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I got my tonsils out at 12. For the first three days I only ate ice chips. Then I started only eating Cream of Wheat. I remember losing weight.

I used to constantly be sick when I was younger and now I only get sick about once a year or twice a year! It's worth it!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

I heard I'll probably feel worse after a few days, but I am strong and can handle this... I've been through far worse. :)

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 15, 2009

I had mine out in Junior High and couldn't eat anything for about a week to a week and a half. It was horrible. I couldn't even eat ice cream the first few days. I lost alot of weight , too.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 16, 2009

I have eaten a bit, amazingly, but I've gone through these dizzy periods already that I dislike. Better now than during the school year next year. I couldn't imagine being in the classroom and having my tonsils swell up again- I remember on the way home one day (the year before last... when I thought I had a sore throat), I opened my mouth and saw they were incredibly inflamed. It was the day before the state writing test. I had to go to the emergency room. Then the same happened this summer, too, very randomly, the morning I had to wake up to go to the school for something. I waited quite some time for the ENT- because the other office wasn't available. It's been a long road, and it made me so sick the past few years.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2009

I have problems with my tonsils at least three or four times a year. I should have mine taken out as well, but I've not taken the time to do it. Best wishes and I hope you feel better soon!!

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Our secretary's mother has just had her tonsils removed and she is 71 yrs old.:eek:

Jaz~I hope that you are feeling better soon.

15. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I had mine removed a few years ago! Thank goodness!!!! A few things I remember - I remember thinking my husband was a jerk because he wouldn't give me my pain meds unless I drank a glass of water. (A few months later my brother had his removed and ended up being hospitalized for a week due to severe dehydration.) My husband is so smart! So, as much as it hurts, focus on drinking fluids. I loved cold things, but I also loved soup broth. It felt like I was actually getting some nutrients and the warm seemed to feel good as well! Rest lots . . . you'll appreciate the surgery later.

I do still get some random sore throats :( . . . but NOTHING like I used to!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 16, 2009

Had mine out in 2nd grade. All that hype about the all the ice cream and popcicles was a bust!! I didn't feel like eating anything! Talk about disappointing to a kid that wanted to eat all the ice she wanted... lol

I hope you get to feeling better after they are out!!!

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I'm amazed that I am eating- creamy soups (not heated much, just at room temperature), some ice cream, ice pops, pudding, yogurt, and... ricotta cheese, amazingly. It has a good slick consistency.

I am also drinking water a lot, and I spent some time sucking ice cubes yesterday.

18. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I had my tonsils removed 2 1/2 years ago at age 22. I have always had one HUGE tonsil and repeated infections. I have had a few surgeries in my day and I am a pretty tough cookie. I have always taken care of myself and never relied on my parents to "wait" on me. I will have to admit this surgery put me out about a week and a half. I really couldn't do much at all but lay in bed.

Of course my throat hurt...I didn't put ANYTHING in my mouth but water for about 2 days. I then ate pudding, popsicles (my savior) and broth. Warning: Ice cream is no good because it coats your throat and may make you have to cough or clear your throat! OUCH!

I'd say the worst part of recovery was being constantly nauseas from my liquid pain killer. I always felt sick.

I hope this gives you a realistic point of reference! Good luck and heal quickly!

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I don't feel nauseous from the medication, so that's making me very happy. I did get very dizzy the first day, though! I think it's because I was coming off of anesthesia and other meds they gave me in the E.R.

Ice cream is not the best choice, but I have had it once. I've had more ice pops.

How long did it take all of you to heal, too? Just curious.

20. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 17, 2009

It toook me an honest two weeks to be back to what I felt was normal. It was crazy. This next part is gross, but I can honestly say about a week+ in I have a coughing spell and the scabs came off. That was the worst part. However, once they were gone, my throat didn't bother me nearly as much. It just takes time.

As I think you noted, any milk products were terrible . . . just ice pops and chicken broth!!! Good luck . . .

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I've had some milk products, but I feel okay, actually. The part I fear is the scabs coming off. Is that part bloody? Does it put a lot of stretch on your throat?

I expected about 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll feel somewhat better by then.

22. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 9, 2009

Ms. J,
    Are you all healed?

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2009

Yes, I am! Thank you for asking. :) I ate tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant two days ago and enjoyed the delicious meal.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2009

Nope, never had a problem w/ tonsils & never had them removed. I hope things go smoothly for you.

25. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

I'm glad the surgery went well for you and that you are back to normal. Did you ever cough up those scabs? That sounds kind of gross, yet intriguing.