TONS of teacher kids!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 24, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

My new kids were put into Power School, and one of the first things I like to do is see where their parents work. Out of 23 kids, 11 of them have a mom that works for a school district! I know that 2 of them are aides/supervisors, but the other 9 are classroom teachers. I'm not going to lie-this makes me a bit nervous! I feel like they're going to be the most critical of everything I do (I'm sure that I'm over-reacting, though).

Does anyone else get nervous about having teachers' kids in their class?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

I hate having teacher kids in my room, but honestly, those parents usually end up being the best, so it's purely in my own head.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 24, 2014

Wow, that is a ton! Is that normal for your district? How did you end up with such a high number of employees' kids?

5. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

I don't mind teacher's kids, but over the past couple of years I have had TWO of my assistant superintendent's kiddos. No pressure!! :p It all worked out for the best though!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

I don't think it's normal...I think about 6 of them are from my district, and the rest are from other districts. One of them works in my building.

I wonder how many teacher kids the other 2nd grade teachers have.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

Now that would make me nervous!

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 24, 2014

Me! We have 6 coming on to my grade level (all the moms work at my school), and I have 4 of them on my list.

9. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

I only like it if their parents work in the same school, then they can understand certain situations more clearly!

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

Also they are as busy as we are. I don't think they as have much time to overanalyze everything the way we probably worry they will. My experiences have always been good.

I thought I had a lot this year, but you win DP! I have 3 teacher kids and one admin's. My only fear is one is said to be a behavior issue, I know that could be awkward.

11. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 24, 2014

I've had several students who had a math teacher parent. They were not complainers, at all, though I was worried about it.

12. GaryBerry21

GaryBerry21 Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

I had several students' parents work various jobs around the school. The most troubling was a girl whose mom was on the school board. Apparently everything was my fault in that case.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2014

Luckily I've always had good experiences, but I know it can go the other way!

When I taught 2nd, I had several move away. At the end of the year I had 15 kids. 2 were staff grandchildren, 3 were staff children, 3 more had teacher parents working in my district, and I had 3 PTO officers' children. That makes 11. Out of 15!!

14. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jul 24, 2014

I love having those kids! Their parents send in the best gifts!!:lol:

Seriously, the ones I have had recently are all children I have known since the day they were born. It is cool to work with these kids because they feel like my own in many ways.

Don't worry. I am sure it will all be well.:)

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

I think that one reason I always get nervous is because my 2nd year teaching I had a teacher's child in my kindergarten class, and she was really rude to me. She questioned everything I did, and made my year really difficult.

I haven't run into any others like her yet, though!

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 24, 2014

I've taught many of my colleagues' children and it's never been an issue. I have found those parents to be particularly understanding and supportive. They also give great gifts and are genuinely thankful for the work you do because they KNOW how much work you do!!

17. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

I haven't had kids whose parents work in my building, although I did have someone's nephew. But I have had several who have parents that work in the district. My second year here I had two boys who just happen to be teacher kids. They had a love hate relationship (in fact still do) and there were some days it was difficult to have them together. The moms were sorta difficult. (I have had way more difficult parents) One was on my case about grades several times and in her defense I was kind of not putting them in fast enough. Looking back she had some legit gripes and now we are friends. The other one I do not like her as a person so having her son was kind of rough. At the end of the year, (the last week) he son was sick. He had fever that was controlled by tylenol and he just did not feel good, it was obvious. She sent him anyway because at our school we give bikes away if a kid has perfect attendance all year. Meaning no leave earlies, no coming in late. Was there for every minute of instruction. She said " he has worked all year to get that bike i would hate for him to ruin because he got sick during the last week." Needless to say I got sick thanks to him. I was not happy. Other than that my experience with teacher parents have been phenomenal!

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

I had many teachers' kids in my class over the years. There was never a problem.

However, I did have a problem with a teammate who said, "I don't understand why you always get all the teachers' kids."

I simply said, "Well, I never asked for them to be in my class. They requested me. I'm pretty certain you know how the process works for teachers when they're placing their own children in classes."

Ugh! :rolleyes:

19. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 25, 2014

Of the nine people who work near me, I have had 10 of their kids so far. Most of the others have younger children. If you include staff in other buildings also, the number really goes up. After awhile, it just isn't an issue.

20. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

I've only had a handful of instances when a teacher kid has given me problems. It's just best to make sure they know it is YOUR classroom. Not their mom's.
    I've never had a teacher from another school critique anything I do, and I'm pleased with that. I think most teachers who are level headed have a sort of "pity" respect for other teachers. We all do things a little differently, and we all handle things differently. It's just the way of the trade, and I think most teachers understand.

Unless of course you really are doing a bad job. Then watch out!!

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2014

Never. I'm glad. I'm sure it'll be fine and they'll probably be really supportive and most of them will probably be great parents to have but I'm glad I don't have to worry. Good luck!

22. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 25, 2014

I have had a couple of teachers students and one districts daughter. The district parent was difficult but it eventually got better. The teachers students weren't a problem at all. They were some of my most supportive, helpful students. So with that said I hope that I get some teachers kids who are like that!

23. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 27, 2014

I haven't had nearly that many "teacher kids". In fact, I believe I only have had three (that I knew of) in the past few years. The first one was terrible. The second and third one were wonderful.

My first "teacher kid's" mother was a nightmare. She worked across the hall, so she'd leave her class unattended all the time to "check up" on me. Mom questioned everything I did. Whenever the child didn't get their way, they would cry at the top of their lungs and Mommy Dearest would come bursting into my classroom from across the hall demanding to know what was going on. :|

The other two "teacher kids" I had were angels. Smart, articulate, well-mannered, respectful. One was a boy, one was a girl. The boy's mom respected my authority and when she made suggestions they were helpful and not at all condescending. The girl's mother was the same way. Both mothers used to send in extra supplies with their children with a note that would say stuff like, "Please give these additional crayons/supplies to any child that needs them." :thumb:

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I've had up to half my class be teacher's kids. Most of them are great parents to have, but a few have been helicopter parents.

25. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Having other teacher's kids can definitely seem intimidating but they always wind up being the best! I've had quite a few over the years (some staying at home with younger siblings) and they always sent in supplies and really seem to understand what you are dealing with in the classroom.

26. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 30, 2014

I've had several of the years and it's usually with no problem.

This year, however, I am on the other side of the fence as MY son will be starting Pre-K at my school.

27. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 31, 2014

If you're confident with what you do in the classroom, why worry? I've taught numerous children of teachers in our system and it's never been a problem. This year, I had a student whose father was the Kindergarten teacher at my school. (I taught all three of his kids, actually.)
    Sure, teacher-parents have a greater understanding of the curriculum and some may even be nit picky but at the end of the day, so long as you treat them the same way and evaluate them as such, you shouldn't be concerned.

28. OwlTeach

OwlTeach Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

The superintendent's kid and the mayor's kid are both in my grade this year. I am so anxious to see if they will be in my class. There are 2 ELA teachers, so there is a 50/50 chance because I know they will be in the same class. Eeek!

29. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

I have only had a couple of teacher kids in my career, but my kids have been in my co-workers classrooms, and I have to say, I think I am pretty nice to work with! I think that I maybe more fully understand the scope of the job and can advocate for my kids in a way that communicates that I know my child isn't the only child in their class.

I did have a very awkward situation when my son was in first grade - I was a stay at home mom then, but also a special ed teacher (behavior) who cringed mightily when my son's experienced teacher was very inept at managing students and did not know how to differentiate at all for gifted students. I did not tell him how to do his job or make life hard for him, though.