Tomboy or Girly-girl?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, May 12, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2009

I picked my daughter up after her school soccer game this afternoon. She was covered in mud--hair, face, ears, arms, legs. She said that it wasn't too bad--she had already washed off the mud stripes from under her eyes. She hadn't gotten muddy during the game, but in pregame warm-up when she was having fun diving into the mud (she's the goalkeeper). She's definitely not a girly-girl and is proud of it!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2009

Isn't it nice not to have to choose? I'm definitely not a 'tomboy', never have been, but I do enjoy downing a cold beer at times, getting dirty as can be in my garden, painting in my house, house 'puttering'...and then showering off, putting on some fabulous shoes and going out to dinner...;)

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

May 12, 2009

I think my mom raised me to be a good balance! lol I grew up camping, hiking, fishing and whatever. So dirt, bugs and whatever doesn't bother me! But I have my moments of being all girlyed up! haha I'm an art teacher, so obviously I love getting messy! lol

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 12, 2009

Neither of my girls were girly-girls. My oldest started playing tournament softball at 8. She pitched varsity for her sophomore, junior, and senior years of high school. At 21, she still loves playing ball and does not mind getting dirty or sliding into a base. My younger daughter also played softball but did not want to play in high school. Neither would let me put bows or ribbons in their hair and the color pink is a foreign concept to them. I really wanted a girly girl and I got 2 tomboys.

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 12, 2009

I'm the weirdest combination of both. I mean, I tan, get my nails done, dress nicely, get my hair done. Yet I am an athlete who doesn't worry about breaking a nail (they can be fixed) and I am a huge sports fan. I love my hockey and basketball. My dream date is a night out with the guys having drinks and watching hockey. Of course, I'll be dressed to the nines at the game... with the jersey over top of course!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 12, 2009

I grew up very much a tomboy. I didn't have a single baby doll (and as an adult I don't want children, hmm?) and the only barbie doll I had was Western Barbie, but I was horse crazy so I probably got her because of her horse. I had Tonkas and Hotwheels. I hated pink bikes and had a "dirt bike" instead. I went fishing everyday I could with my dad. I dressed very much like a boy in elementary school.

As an adult, I prefer to hangout with the guys (I usually have 1 good girl friend). At faculty meetings I sit in the back row with the guys.

When I met my husband I was very impressed that he had a bass boat. :) We now have his bass boat and my scamp. :)

But, I've always had long hair and I wear makeup. I felt really grown up when I retired my jeans and hiking boots for a wardrobe of slacks and heels. But, I'm not sure a coworker would recognize me on a weekend. :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2009

I'm a good mix of both.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2009

I'm definitely a girly-girl, always have. In fact, I can't think of anything about me that's tomboyish. When I was a child, I loved the Barbies, etc. & now as an adult, I love the clothes, makeup, shoes, bags, sunglasses & love my long hair!

10. kacieann

kacieann Companion

May 12, 2009

I am a mix of both. I do not mind getting dirty on the weekends, but love to get dressed up to go out to dinner. I think my variety is one of the reasons my husband and I get along so well.:D

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 12, 2009

I always thought of myself as a tomboy because I played with a lot of boys as a kid. I was certainly never a girly-girl. But I now know I was NOT a tomboy. I never played sports... never was into traditional boyish things.

I think I was more like a gay boy. I was into theater and musicals, but wore boys clothes. I refused to wear make-up, tan, get my nails done, wear girly clothes, etc.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 12, 2009

My oldest daughter played ball and ran cross country. She camped out in the winter. She would spit on the soccer field, and burp all the time too. Totally not a girly-girl. My youngest who is only 5 well she is all girly. Plays dolls, wants to be a princess, a cheerleader and wear pink as much as she can. She also craves chocolate even from before she was born. I don't do too many sports but I will watch anything from football to ice skating. I know more about sports than my husband who hates any and all sports except rodeo. I even want to coach high school football or soccer someday.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2009

This describes my daughter perfectly--a day without chocolate is a sad day indeed!

Ms. I.--My daughter also loves her long hair; cutting it would be tragic! She wears it down and straight during the day; the ponytail comes out for soccer, basketball and track.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

My oldest daughter is a combo, she is girly, but not too girly because she is satisfied in a cute girly out fit with some tennis. I on the other hand, hate tennis. Now for my last two girls, one is a girly girl and the other is a tomboy. When my tomboy first met my husband, the first thing she told him is that my name is C and I am not a girly-girl. She would dress like a boy if I would let her. The only thing girly about her is that she loves her long hair. The girly girl has loved polish, dressing up, playing in my heels, and make-up as long as I can remember. My tomboy has mostly male friends because she says girls are too messy. She is in 5th grade.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 13, 2009

I love getting dressed up but I love hanging out in sweats too! I guess you could say I am a girl girl

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 13, 2009

I cut my hair drastically to my chin once in my life yrs ago & it's all grown back now & is even a little longer than before.

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

My poor Jeannie- I'll have to loan her to one of you girly-girls to learn about how to be feminine!
    I don't do my nails- too much bother.
    I don't wear makeup cause I can't get my blush right.
    I don't wear heels cause of a foot problem.
    I do wear perfume- Body Musk body spray, Hawaiian White Ginger, and Love's Baby Soft body spray.
    I do love to mess with my hair. Remember Heather Locklear on TJ Hooker? My hair is styled like that, only I'm a brunette.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

Jeannie is a half & half, I guess. She likes her guy friends, worms, and dinosaurs. She adores Littlest Pet Shop, her girl friends, kittens, and babies. She loves babies so much and wants a little sister so much I once tried talking myself into wanting another kid. Her face just lights up around babies.
    Thankfully.... I wasn't successful.