Tom Cruise on Ritalin?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Bill_Lingle, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 6, 2005

2. chthonica

chthonica Guest

Jul 9, 2005

Ritalin?

Poor Tom's hyperanimated reactions to Lauer and Winfrey suggest that he's a Ritalin veteran. His small stature and lack of self-control indicate that he was on it for a long time--but not long enough. Sad.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2005

I really don't think that's the case, but your post is entertaining and well written.

4. Ariel

Ariel New Member

Jul 9, 2005

Enjoying this forum

I really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts (and am glad I'm not the only crazy teacher on-line on an early summer morning!)

I did see the Matt Laur interview and thought Tom was incredibly rude and closed minded. I felt sorry for Matt Laur and thought he was very composed and professional. I definitely agree that medication is not for every child, but I had 2 in my class last year on meds and thank goodness!

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 9, 2005

There is a new interview posted on MSN.com in which Katie Holmes is conducting an interview with W Magazine and present is a "Scientology chaperone", whatever that is! One time during the interview Katie was at a loss for words and the chaperone stepped in and said "You adore him". This is kind of scarey, and if I were her family, I think I would be stepping in just about now.

6. Amanda

Jul 9, 2005

I heard about that, too!

I just checked www.tomcruiseisnuts.com and there is a link to the interview. :D

7. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 9, 2005

I thought her article was great, and I'm really impressed that she came out and spoke honestly about PND. Shame on Tom Cruise for badmouthing her!

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 10, 2005

OK, read the interview... sounds like Katie's being brainwashed... rather interesting...

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2005

OK- and I read that in the middle of the interview a beautifully wrapped gift box arrives in which there is a diamond choker necklace for Kate. Romantic, lovely, yea but I recall reading an interview several years back done with Nicole Kidman in which a similar gift arrived from Tom in the middle of the interview- It's more about Tom looking good, the magazine can gush about how lovely, etc....

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 10, 2005

It's more like he is having delivered an electronic ankle bracelet!!

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

That whole chaperone thing is very wierd!!! I'd be getting my butt out of that one ASAP!

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 10, 2005

When the chaperone is answering the questions and telling her what she thinks you know it is not a good sign!

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

Movie stars know how to get everyone's attention...they are doing a good job of it I'd say!

14. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Oh my goodness! I couldn't believe that interview with her. She sounds like she's in a cult. Her parents must be going nuts- reminds me a little of the Jackson/Presely relationship.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

Where can I read the interview with Katie ? I haven't read it yet.

16. Amanda

Jul 10, 2005

Go to www.tomcruiseisnuts.com - It's linked from there.

Under Katie Holmes Poses in Wedding Dress While Slowly Losing Mind click on "Full Story"

17. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

Just read it...that just sounds all so creepy and unsettling. I hope the girl will come to her senses.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

Thanks for sharing the link. I read the interview. I knew a family who were of that religion and they were very nice and very "normal." I read a bit about the relgion and it didn't appeal to me. It seems fairly complicated so I quit reading about it. I don't think there's any danger involved for Katie. That's my opnion anyway.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2005

I agree too that it doesn't seem like a threatening situation. If she is truly happy with her decisions then that is great, but it does seem very creepy. Cult-like and strange. I intend to read more about it just to get information because I'm curious, but so far what I have read it seems eerie!

21. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2005

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

Thanks for posting that. That made me seriously ill while I was reading that. It actually made me a bit upset, being a Christian myself. Didn't Cruise say that you could be a Christian and a Scientologist at the same time? After reading that, I would find it hard to believe that any Christ loving Christian would follow a man that preaches against Christ. Apparently Mr. Hubbard (is that his name?) will have some explaining to do when his judgement day comes.

Very interesting and eye opening hanvan, thanks for sharing!

23. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2005

I know I thought so too. I was just looking for something on scientolgy...maybe that link is false but it has pages from hubbards book. He started or "founded" scientology. Theres not much on it but it def. seems scary, in my opinion.

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2005

I can't believe what it said about revenge and enemies. How extraordinarly opposite of what Christianity preaches. Not that there are not Christians (and others alike) who do the opposite, but PREACH it?!?! And how could a Christ loving person want to follow the teachings of Mr. Hubbard when he confesses that he thinks Christ died only for his own sins? AHHHH! Did it come from a college course of something? If you read the top it seems like it's part of a professors notes or something.

I had to go back and read it again because I thought it was way too interesting. Now I can clearly see why Tom is acting so strange and juvenile, to say the least. Gosh darn it, and I love John Travolta man, who happens to be a huge scientologist! I hope he doesn't start acting like Tom!!!

25. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jul 13, 2005

I personally have no interest in what most of these foolish celebrities think or do. They tend to say the dumbest things. Hollywood is a sad reminder of what is wrong in this country.

26. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2005

Beware, Jen!

John Travolta's wife is the one who had to give birth in complete silence!!
    I have had a crush for him since he was on American Bandstand singing Gonna Let Her In (are you old enough to remember that??)

He'd have divorced me in the delivery room cause I was NOT quiet giving birth.

27. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jul 13, 2005

Tom Cruise Ritalin

As a teacher with also a psychology degree in addition to my education one, I personally think Ritain turns kids into drug addicts. Dr. Phil has done several shows on ritalin and ADD and he says drugs is not always the answer. There are other ways. Drugs do work for some kids but what people don;t know is that drug is only effective three months at a time and that children are supposed to have "drug holidays" from it. I did a research paper on it!

28. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 14, 2005

While I am not an advocate for drugging all children with ADD, I have seen many kids respond well when on it. I think to say it turns them into addicts is not only ridiculous..it's ignorant! I'll bet that Dr. Phil would have to agree that is each case is unique!

29. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 14, 2005

I must point out again that in 14 years I've had very few parents/ doctors following up responsibly with me for my classroom observations. Doctors, parents, teachers should be working together completing behavioral checklists, adjusting meds., etc. I've also had kids on meds without the parents ever even telling the school to see if we'll notice a difference in classroom performance. Not a real pro-active approach!
    And to think I promised myself I'd stay away from this Tom Cruise/ Ritalin thread....

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2005

I think most of you know that I am NOT a fan of any type of "head" medicine-especially in children, but I am putting that in a category all it's own and has nothing to do with the whole Scientology controversy. I think that there are many kids on Ritilin, and the like, because their parents are not educated enough to know how to be a parent and want to take the easiest approach. I am not saying that there are not clear benefits, but the cons out way the pros in my book (for adults and kids). I do believe that kids could also become addicted, it's no different than any other drug. Kids are no different than adults when it comes to getting addicted and even the most non-habit forming drug can lead into addiction. I was once addicted to Flonase. Sounds wierd, but things like that happen.

Now, with the whole Scientology thing...that's just wacked out. I am not taking their side on medications because I believe in the whole Scientology philosophy, I take that side because of my own personal opinions, beliefs, and experiences. As far as what I read about the whole Scientology "religion" (that title is stongly debatable), if what is on that site is true, I don't support anything else having to do with the whole Scientology "church" (again, debatable). Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It doesn't mean that each one is right or wrong, it's mearly an opinion which everyone is free to choose. I wouldn't knock anyone for having a different one than me, but I would expect not to be judged or looked at differently, or attacked for mine. It's fine to share, but don't belittle in the process (that was not intended for you lovelabs, just a general statement dear, so please don't take that personally:)).

31. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 14, 2005

No offense taken, Jen. Actually my comment was in reference to Nisey's post. I respect you oppinions. I just really dislike generalizations.

32. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2005

There is a dr. around me that makes parents go to an ADHD clinic before passing out any medication for it. I was so impressed that someone does this. He tells them there are alt. for drugs that parents, and teachers can try. Some include diet (no fast food) tv/video games, keeping kids in a structured invironment, making your self ready before you even wake the kids up, even keeping their bedroom like a military baric (sp??) all can help with ADHD. It just takes a lot of work (or atleast sounds that way) and maybe thats why some parents go to the med. first. Also I wonder how many other dr. are giving parents this kind of information???? I know when I have kids they'll be hyper (I am) and I would do anything before med. but I am not really opposed to it. I have kids in my classroom that I can;t even tell their on it so I bet this other stuff would help more.

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2005

My sons doc. is opposed to medicating children, which I LOVE! I am unsure to how he handles parents with active children, but I love the fact that he is opposed to that kind of treatment. He doesn't even like advocating giving my son cough suppresants (sp?) when he's sick because of the way it suppresses the mucus and could turn into pneumonia. He's the opposite of the typical mid-western doctor, but he's not an alternative doctor. He's right in the middle which is perfect. I'm hoping sooner or later he'll switch to family medicine because I would totally pick him as my doctor.

34. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2005

I had a friend in high school who wasn't disgnosed with ADHD until she was 17 years old. Both her and her brother were perscribed medication (he was 2 years younger) and started taking them at that time. This friend was so outgoing and fun loving and when she started taking them it was like she was a whole different person. She became almost suicidal acting and all depressed acting. It was horrible. I don't know what the point of taking them at that point was because she wasn't a horrible student, she was just a little unfocused and active. I loved her personality and in my opinion, if she was already 17 and doing fine without them then she should'nt have even been perscribed them in the first place. It was her parents decision and they just didn't want to deal with them anymore having so much energy. I thought it was laziness on their part.

Those are the cases that make me extremely upset and mad. And there are some teachers that are just as bad and act like they can't stay sane if certain children aren't being shoved medication down their throats. I have worked with numerous teachers like that. It's kind of interesting that I never had probelms with those students, but the teachers who complained about them did...hummmm.

35. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jul 14, 2005

Ritalin and children

My comment on ritalin turning children into drug addicts is actually not ignorant. Nor did I say that the drug turns all children into drug addicts. What I meant by that comment is again I watched a tv special on this topic and there were parents on there themselves stating the symptoms thier children went through after being pulled off of ritalin after a long period of time. The affects were that similar to someone who is coming off a cocaine addiction. This tv special also talked to an adult that turned to other drugs after being pulled off of his ritalin when he was a teen. That is where my comment came from. I also spent some working in treatment homes for children that were on these medications and others and it was not good for them.

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2005

So, it could be interpreted, perhaps more realistically, that kids turn to alternative drugs when their prescribed drugs are withdrawn. In fact, doesn't the literature support that kids will self-medicate in order to 'treat' their psychopharmaceutical needs? (Many would say that marijuana does a better job of calming certain patients than prescribed drugs.)

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2005

Nisey, I am glad someone sees my point of view finally! I don't think it's an exaggeration saying that they get "addicted". People even get hooked on herbal supplements for petes sake. The body and brain work in mysterious ways. Look at the aftermath of some of these people on those antidepressants that try to get off of it. Their body is so addicted to it that they go through all of those withdrawl syptoms. ADHD drugs are no different, they both work on the brain.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2005

Good comments Upsadaisy!

39. Amanda

Jul 15, 2005

It is unfortunate that there are so many misconceptions about antidepressants. I am just thankful they exist. I prefer to see a loved one seek medical help than to resort to suicide or drugs. And it's SOOOO hard to make that first step! I am so disappointed to see people like Tom Cruise adding one more reason for someone to doubt the hope that lies in seeking medical attention and therapy. Comparing drug addiction to medical treatment with antidepressants is not even close... In fact, it only upsets those who have experience with both sides of the coin. I don't know how big meth is in other parts of the country, but it's #1 here in Missouri. HUGE. The meth addict slowly dies... I compare it to a slow suicide. It destroys families.

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2005

I know people who are so depressed , anxious, paranoid, obsessive, etc, that they are miserable most of the time. Some of them are religious and involved in their faith. They continue to have these problems on a daily basis and tell me about it regularly. When I tell them to get help, they go to the doctor, the doctor tells them they need therapy and medication . They come back to me and tell me that they are not going to take pills to get better. Now THAT is ignorant. I know for a fact how effective antidepressants are and if someone has to be on them for life, so be it. They do NOT change you into a different person. They do not cause you to be an addict or to act strangely or to think strangely. They balance things out so that a person can lead a productive and fairly "NORMAL" life...although that normalcy is hampered by many persons who make life uncomfortable for those who need the medication. How sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.