Tom Cruise on Ritalin?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Bill_Lingle, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 30, 2005

Do you think the reason Tom Cruise hooks up with these younger women, the current one approx. 16 years younger, is because they are more easily manipulated into thinking like him (shades of the Stepford Wives!) Wasn't his first wife Mimi Rogers close to his own age and that did not go well. Could that be why Penlope Cruz, who is absolutely gorgeous but is I think Spanish or South American and I am sure a devout Catholic, did not last too long because of not being willing to embrace Scientology?? Hmmm...makes one think!

2. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2005

Teacher... I do agree with that. We were flipping through the channels over the weekend and some ET type show was interviewing Michael Keaton and asked him about Katie & Tom. (MK played Katie's dad in a movie)...He said I wish them well, but she's very young and impressionable (sp?). I thought that was an interesting statement.

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 30, 2005

I would love to film some days in my class when the kids have arrived without their meds and the next day when on their meds and have him tell me which he thinks would be the easiest to educate!!

I do agree that meds and counselling should go hand-in-hand and it is not always easy to convince the parents of this. There is still a certain stigma to having a child going for counselling but not for medicating them.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2005

I saw that same interview. But it makes sense. I wouldn't have married someone who was a different religion than I am. I think that Ms. Holmes is just a star struck youngster who is in lust with a movie star, and Mr. Cruise is a middle aged man going through a midlife crisis and needs to feel young again. I could be wrong, for it's not my life and am on the outside of the relationship, but how many times does this scenerio get played out and end up in a fairytale ending? I can't think of any.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 30, 2005

Also Katie Holmes was engaged till a few months ago to actor Chris Klein. She is def. rushing into the relationship and she is young and caught up with everything around her.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2005

Now would be the appropriate time to make silly school girl crush laughter...he he he...he he he...he he he.

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2005

Someone said earlier he's using his sister as his publicist? Is he broke??

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005

No - She's into Scientology, and his former publicist advised against talking about it.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2005

I just watched the NBS show with Matt Lauer. He is quite a passionate barking moonbat. That's great that he reads up on stuff, but he can't assume that others don't as well. He seemed to contradict himself a few times. First by saying there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance, then the next minute he's saying there are better alternative cures for them. So which is it Tom? Do you think they exist or not?

I do have to say though, that I would never put my children on anything. How would I know I am not just dealing with a lazy school system that just doesn't want to "deal" with it? I am sure there are cases out there like that. I've seen a few myself. Teachers who don't want to put in the extra effort and creativity to assure a child's education. God made my son like he is for a reason. Not that he has problems, but if he did, that's how he was made. JUST MY OPINION, so NOBODY better throw a tomato my way!!! I'm entitled to my own thoughts.

Here's one scenerio: my husband was a very colicy (sp?) baby. So colicy (again, sp?) that his doctor had him on Vallum (another one, sp?) the first entire year of his life. What doctor put's a BABY on Vallum?!?! Of course, 30 years ago it was all peaches and cream, but think of those kinds of scenerios that will be looked at 30 years from now that are happening today. Now there are special corn based formulas (my son was on that-yuck, but he loved it). I would be willing to bet there will be more safer alternatives out there 30 years from now for other things as well.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 30, 2005

Now the news is saying Concerta has been shown to cause psychoses, suicidal thoughts and personality changes in kids using it, and that has been I think the most current drug of choice, as it eliminates "other unwanted side effects like loss of appetite!" I think I would rather have my child lose his appetite than be saddled with a psychosis!

11. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 30, 2005

Interesting point, becky. ;)

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2005

I agree. I think the easiest way out of things is not always the best way. I'd really like to know if any of these children who are taking guns to school are on anything.

13. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 30, 2005

Many times I feel they are, or they are the cases that need to be on something to sort of "calm" things down, but again without counselling, you are only fixing half of the problem. A good counsellor will work on the problem and sometimes only use the meds to get over the initial rough spots.

14. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

Never say never (re. never putting kids on meds)- If it's done correctly, medication can be o.k., Parents often only do the meds without correct follow up from a doctor, no counseling, etc. In 14 years I can count the number of times a pediatrician has sent me follow up behavior rating scales to monitor the dosage and effects of medication. Parents and doctors need to be proactive in medicating a child. I think Tom Cruise (and a lot of other people) thinks meds are viewed as the easy way out and for some that is true. However if parents, teachers, doctors use meds, counseling, monitoring correctly there won't be the great fear of meds. and they'll be used correctly and to the advantage of the child.

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2005

I don't want to repeat myself, but I will NEVER put my children on meds. God gives us our wonderful children the way they are for a reason. I would never judge anyone who does the opposite so I would expect nobody to judge me for my decision. Period! If my child is dying of cancer that is one thing, but I wont screw with the brain. That's a different category to me. That is my decision and I have the right as not only an American, but as a mother to choose what is right for my child. And my opinion, is NEVER. Point blank. Enough said.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2005

I think we are falling back into old arguments here. This is a volotile subject with strong opinions on each side. That makes it easy for us to take things personally. Arguments can be made on both sides.
    Back to the original purpose for this thread...Tom and his inflated image of himself. :D

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2005

Oh, really. Let's drop the meds/no meds argument. If anyone wants help dealing with the issue, they can ask for it. And Tom doesn't warrant this much attention from us!

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 1, 2005

The other night my husband told me that, because of Tom being such a fool, he no longer wants to see "War of the Worlds." He said that he will just remember the original version of the movie. Also, hubby recalled that in the original, the aliens died of viruses on earth - to which the aliens had no resistance. He wondered what a scientologist would think about that?

19. Azelia

Azelia Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

WOW!!! I must agree!!! I can't believe people actually do this. Did you see the collection cup that you can insert to collect the flow? That's just baffling. How could anyone expect to be clean. My goodness that's just a bacteria collector waiting to cause some major infection. What are these people thinking? I see major law suit!!!!!

And the who Tom Cruise thing. Who really cares. Why waste time talking about someone who doesn't really know anything but acting. And so what, he may have gone to Iraq, but he isn't fighting for this country. He isn't putting HIS life on the line. It's easy to talk a good talk, but it takes a strong person to walk the walk.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2005

I agree Azelia! Isn't it funny that all these actors and famous people go to Iraq to visit, but none of them will put their life on the line to really help.

Oh, and the collection cup, I believe it's called the Keeper Cup, doesn't it look like a midevil torture device?

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2005

Jen, they gave your husband V A L I U M as a baby?? Isn't colic just like acid reflux?

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2005

And Scientology..... wasn't that started by an AUTHOR?? A science fiction author at that??

I might listen to Jude Deveraux..... LOL... IF I got to meet the lead in her book A Knight in Shining Armor!!!
    What do you think, Christy??

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2005

Yep, they gave him Valium (thanks for the spelling:)). The doctor said that you would know when to lower the doses when he sits in the middle of the room and spaces out. Isn't that professionalism at it's finest? It's these instances that make me question stuff like this in the first place and why I would be scared to put my child on anything. Sure, back then it wasn't a huge deal giving a child Valium, but look at the responses now? I wouldn't doubt that those medications will get a different response 30 years from now as well.

To this day there really aren't any answers for colic, but I do know that my husband had a hard time with milk and soy formulas and they didn't have the corn based formula then either. He also had acid reflux and my son went through the same thing when he was born. The milk and soy based formulas made their tummies hurt, but now they both are fine with it. We had the option of the corn based stuff though with our baby. That stuff is expensive-$25 per can (small can-not the larger ones). It's twice as much as the regular stuff. I wouldn't doubt if acid reflux is related to colic seeing what my husband and my son both went through. They both were extremely colicy and they both had acid reflux. I've seen many many many children who are colicy and have acid reflux. I'm sure they are corelated.

24. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Jul 2, 2005

My friend and I were discussing this ourselves the other day. Ritalin can be overprescribed, but there are great success stories. My brother survived school thanks to Ritalin...otherwise he would have probably been put in a BD class for having ADHD. Have you seen the way Tom has been acting? A little Ritalin wouldn't hurt him any it seems. ;) Although, most people are saying it's a publicity stunt.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 2, 2005

Mmmmm....I could definitely handle that!!! :D :love:

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2005

Tom Cruise is short? So is Bob Dylan and Dustin Hoffman(5'6'')
    Michael J. Fox and Pablo Picasso(5'4'')
    Paul Simom...5'2''
    St. Francis of Assisi...5'1''
    Height has nothing to do with anything.

27. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

I know it doesn't. I was just taunting him. Shh, don't tell him, he'd be devasted. . . . .

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2005

I am upset with the fact he said, "there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance". I have lived first hand with a brother, father, and grandfather who suffer with bipolar (manic depression). My brother takes lithium for a chemical imbalance . It is the only thing that has helped him with this terrible disorder. Before meds, they gave shock treatment to patients. My grandpa endured many of those .............horrible. Thanks goodness there is medicine to treat people who really do have a chemical imbalance. It is real and shame on Cruise for stating otherwise! He may be doing more harm then he knows.

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2005

Jane...And the last thing we want to do is devastate Tom!

Kinderkids, I know what you mean about persons who think there is not a need for such meds. Depression and similiar conditions need to be treated as any medical problem. Just as you cannot tell a person with diabetes to make it go away, so it is with many cases of depression. Some people will just never be open to this line of reasoning and are very prejudiced against those who need treatment.

30. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 4, 2005

If you have hypertension and need to take meds or diabetes for which you need to take meds, that is ok. So I am assuming Mr. Cruise is also against medicating all of these other "imbalances" our bodies may have??

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2005

I wonder if his religion has alot to do with his reasoning on getting medical attention. I know of a lady who was of that religion and she wouldn't seek medical attention for a serious leg ulcer because they do not believe in the treatment of doctors.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2005

It is due to his religion. I was doing some reading on the net here...which by the way, I found the information to be fairly bazarre....anyway, they (Scientologists) do not believe that any kinds of mental problems can be from biological problems. They choose to treat persons claiming to have mental problems with their counseling, yet many times will turn them away and do not want to deal with them.

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2005

The thing that bothers me about the "religion" is that God is not at the front. Tom has mentioned "yes there is 'a' God", but that has been it. Nothing biblical is observed and that bothers me.

34. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 4, 2005

*snicker* :)

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2005

Jane, what would we do without you...you old taunter you!

Religion is of personal choice. I could care less what someone believes or not ... I am just interested in learning why some people believe certain things...may not understand them or agree, but just curious about things like that...

36. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 4, 2005

Me too, Patricia Ann - my first degree is a B.A. in Religious Studies - Non-western - studying what people believe fascinates me :)

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2005

I am also curious to know what they all believe and why. However, for me personally it bothers me that God is mentioned yet the Bible has nothing to do with it. Like Becky said about the silence during birth!?!?! What is up with that? Try telling that to any woman who is giving birth to a 10 pound or bigger baby! Of course the person who invented this religion is a man!!! Isn't that interesting?

38. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Jul 5, 2005

Yet another example of "a celebrity says, so most of the sheeple believe without considering the source." Tom Cruise popping off about kids on ritalin does not bother me near as much as other celebrity experts though. You know, Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn) lending us his expertese as a diplomat by going to Iraq, and don't even get me started on Michael Moore, Jane Fonda and the rest of those Hollywood bleeding hearts, the whole bunch of those clueless idiots just make me want to use foul language! Clint Eastwood once said, "A man has to know his limitations." I think these thoughts are very applicable here. Scary when you think about it that the ignorant among us are lended instant credibility because of their visibility and good looks with little to no consideration as to are these people really qualified to provide expert opinions. I'll stop now before the colorful language spews forth :mad:

39. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 6, 2005

Now that is a smart man. I agree with you, caveman, to my mind it is just ignorance that has people lending creedence to things said by someone just because he or she is famous. What happened to respecting someone's opinion because they actually had knowledge??

I'm with you, caveman, much more colourful language could spew forth (spew being the operative word) if I keep going... :mad:

In related news, I heard on the radio today that someone has built a website http://www.tomcruiseisnuts.com .....

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2005

And what about Ahnold??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.