Tolerance activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Brandi, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Ms.Brandi

Ms.Brandi Rookie

Feb 7, 2014

Ok, so I have a great, very well behaved group of 3 and 4 year olds. But today we had an issue. there r a boy and girl who are best friends always together. And today they said they want to get married. Now the boy is mixed race black and white ans the girl is white. So now another little girl goes "NO! They can't get married! Brown and white don't marry". Which blew my mind because we are a very diverse school, and as a Christian school we are always talking about how god made all of us special. So now the boy is crying that he is white and he kids are upset so we had to have a little sit down. We all talked about how are skin is different but our hearts are the same. And god made us all different and that's wonderful and special. And that when they grow up they can marry who ever they want.
    So with valentines coming up and this next weeks theme being "friends are for loving" I'm looking for some good activities to do with the kids that teach tolerance and celebrate the ways we are different. Games, projects, experiments, recipes...I'm open to anything. The kids are awesome and behave well to do all sorts of activities. A while back we did the brown and white egg experiment. So I'm looking for some different activities. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 9, 2014

I don't have much to add, but I thought of the egg experiment too when I started reading your post.

I had a 6 year old Caucasian boy (kindergartener) in my preschool class this fall tell me he couldn't sit by an African American girl in my class because "me and my family don't sit by people like her". I informed him that that wasn't nice and we are friends with everyone in this classroom, and he was utterly confused, and responded with something like, "Oh, I didn't mean her specifically, just people with different color skin". It took me off guard, hearing such a little kid say something like that! I tried to deal with it discretely, though, because I didn't want the little girl to hear or think of it as a big deal (she was 3).

Looking forward to see others' activity suggestions.

Maybe it would be a good start to actively choose picture books with people from different cultures and races?

4. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 11, 2014

I have this book Faces of the world. It is book full of pictures of people. I flip the pages and say things like "wow look at her beautiful skin" or "wow those brown eyes, so pretty". Children start soon copy after me and point out things in people.
    There is also this book "it is ok to be different"