Told I needed a mini fridge for room??

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Crys68, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I was just told by one of the teachers at my new school that I would probably need a mini fridge to keep my lunch and drinks in because our classrooms are portable units away from the building...Any suggestions on where I can get one not too expensive?

Thanks, Chris

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2007

home depot had the best prices when my husband bought mine.
    you might also check out prices at target, sometimes they have a sale.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I think my principal got mine at Wal-Mart, but I would've probably checked Target. A friend got hers at Lowe's though. In other words, I would just check around for the best price! lol They all should be on sale right now with college kids going back to school.

5. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 27, 2007

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

We bought mine at Costco for $99 a few years ago.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

WalMart has a small one for $49. It wouldn't hold too much, but should be the right size for lunch, a snack or two, and a couple bottles of water.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

Mine was about $50 at Wal Mart. It doesn't have a freezer. But I do put my Lean Cuisines in there for the day and they are fine. It has two shelves inside, and then on the door a wire rack, with a tiny shelf above it I think. I can usually fit my lunch snack, quite a few 20oz waters, some mini soda or gatorades when I need a sugar kick, and some snacks. I love it and I"m so glad I got it! Our school fridge is SCARY!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

You might want to check with your principal first. Our state has fire codes which state that mini-fridges aren't allowed. If one is needed for student medication, then there is lots of paperwork that has to be filled out.
    I was in a modular (we called them cabins :D ) for two years. I made sure I went to the lounge every day to get some adult conversation. I was very far away from everyone but my neighbor and needed time outside my classroom. You might consider that before spending lots of money on a fridge.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

It's funny they told you that. The district I worked at said no more personal appliances to cut costs. Even where hubby works they did the same thing(he doesn't work for a school either)!!!

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

That's right. They also use a lot of electricity.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

I think only about 2-3 teachers had them, but they had to be removed!!!

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, but it pays off. From the money that we saved by cutting electricity costs (shutting the blinds when we leave, keeping our door closed, turning off the lights, no personal appliances, etc..) we got a very good raise.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

I know some of the teachers thought I was crazy when I'd shut my lights off when I left the room!!! They would only do it at lunch time!!! I also tried to close the blinds during the day...I know it stinks, but the windows were overlooking the playground & on south side...got pretty warm in there!!! But nice in the winter!!!

15. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

We aren't allowed to have mini-fridges or microwaves in our classrooms. They all had to be removed. My district has its eye on the budget too and I would rather have a raise over a fridge or microwave. Oh, and I turn off my lights everytime we leave the classroom too!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

The lights and shutting the door are both habits I learned when I was a young child. That's just what you do in my parents house. I've found myself trying to shut off the lights in public restrooms when I leave. I can't help it! :eek:

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

We aren't allowed fridges or microwaves either. In theory, we aren't even supposed to have a kettle, but they don't make a big deal about that. As far as turning off the lights, it is just second nature for most of us to turn off lights and shut the door when we leave the room.

18. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Walmart and Target both have mini fridges. I saw them both yesterday and today....

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

DITTO! We can no longer plug in everything from a fridge to personal phone. :(

20. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

I got mine at Home Goods (a division of Marshall's). I think it cost $50-$60 and there were a variety of color to choose from.

21. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I really don't think that you need one (esp. if you are trying to make your dollars last!!!) Our school fridge is scary (yikes!) and so I just pack my lunch in an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack. I keep it in my room, but do eat in the teacher's room (like others have said...you DO need adult conversation!). My luch is always fine...the only time I use the fridge in the teacher's room is when I have a frozen lunch.....and most times the freezer is empty and clean!!

I'm sure that it is nice to have a mini fridge and if I had one, I would use it. I just can't see spending the extra money on it!