Token System

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pateacher, Jul 25, 2005.

1. pateacher

pateacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I am a new third grade teacher. I am thinking about using a token system in my classroom where students receive tokens for good behavior. I wanted to know what people think I should do as a consequence for bad behavior. Thanks

3. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I have a token system (tickets) and I also have a card system. The mix works well because if one system doesn't work with one student, the other one might. But one thing that has really worked well with the tickets is when the student breaks a rule, I will have them pay me some of their tickets. They hate having to do that (most of them anyway). They would rather change their card than lose tickets. Hope that helps.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 25, 2005

I'm also going to be doing a token system similar to the one on Ms. Powells website. I've honestly thought about ignoring bad behaviors (minor ones) and praising the student for when he or she is doing the correct thing. Of course I will have to do something for severe behaviors, but I hope to never get there. I thought by possibly praisinig all of the good qualities that I wouldn't have to worry about the bad behaviors, especially if I do a good job establishing the expectations. I don't know how well this will work, but it's something that I've thought about doing.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2005

Consequences... We have a school-wide discipline policy, and here is our newest revision.

My students have their name on the board with the number of the rule they act out against next to it. After they get to two numbers on the board next to their names, this is how it goes...

One number- Verbal warning

Two numbers or more...
    Step 1- Verbal warning and parent contact
    Step 2- Conference with student and parent contact
    Step 3- Guidance referrals, parent conference, interventions
    Step 4- Discipline referral

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

This year I am also using a card system and a token system. I bought "Caught being Good" coins from smilemakers.com and plan to give them to students for good behavior. During the first few days of school, I am going to have a discussion with the kids about the consequences to see what they feel is important (like how many coins for what particular broken rule). I'll have things in mind and I will "guide" them to where I would like them to go, but I want them to take ownership of the consequences too. The minor infractions will probably be lose one coin, but more severe actions need more severe consequences. :)

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

leighbball-What grade do you teach?

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I will be teaching 3rd this year.

To extend my previous post- the coins the kids receive will be used to "purchase" items from our class store. Our store is going to have items such as pencils, erasers, bookmarks, school store coupons, some special prizes (from oriental trading, etc) that i am going to let the kids vote on...so i have an idea of what they would like, etc. Each item will have a set "cost". I'm hoping to teach some basic money skills about saving and stuff. A lot of my kids don't get that lesson at home. I hope that makes sense:)

9. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I use a "point" system with my 3rd graders. I set up a board in the classroom that has 5 columns on it labeled...0, 1, 2, 3, 4. I write each students name on an index card and attach it to the board by either magnets (if your board is magnetic) or velcro. Anyway, I put each students name under column "2" at the beginning of each day. That means they are starting with 2 points. If the student does something good, they can move their name to column 3 or 4, for those amount of points. If they do something not good, they move down to 1 or 0 points. The good part is they can always recover, so for example, lets say the student does something bad and moves down to 1 point, but helps a student later in the day, they can move back up to 2 points. The students like this. Whatever column the student is on at the end of the day that is how many points they recieve for the day. When a student reaches 50 points they get to pick from my prize box. Also, if any student is on zero points at the end of any day I send a note home informing parents. This is a great way to keep parents involved on student behavior in the classroom. Students keep track of thier points in thier agenda book and it has been a great system. Use whatever works for you, but I've found I really like this. I know it sounds confusing, but it really does work. :) Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

10. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I use a daily chart by the door. It has three columns with a legend (T = talking, etc.) There are three columns. If the student marks all three columns by his/her name, we complete a form that his/her parent signs. On the flip side, if a child has great behavior with no marks, that child gets a check on the big chart beneath it for accumulation toward an end of the quarter prize. It works well for me because I take a minute at the end of the day to make comments in the comments part. The children always know where they stand and so do the parents.

11. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 26, 2005

Amanda, that is a great system as well. Do you ever help the students keep track of the points? Do you have problems with students lying about the number of points they received on a certain day?

12. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

No, I don't have students lying about points because they have to get thier logs signed by thier parents on Fridays. I also walk around the room and make a quick "check" of the points at the end of the day. If I find any discrepencies I am VERY stern about it! They know I'm not playing around. he he. :) Thanks!
    Here's a pic of my chart from last year for an idea:
    [​IMG]

13. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

:)

Last year we were unable to use "no recess" as a consequence (in our district). Thank you so much, these are great alternatives. :thanks:

14. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Marvelous! I love the chart. I will incorporate it into the reward system (Personal Goal Cards) that I currently use. My rewards are: Eat any snack you wish.(I normally don't allow junk food), chew sugarless gum for a day, sit at the teacher's desk for a day, and a free homework pass for one subject. I permit the student who has achieved their goal to choose their reward. Thank you again. I am on my way to the store to purchase a poster board. :D

15. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 31, 2005

Thanks so much!! I'm glad someone liked my idea. It has worked wonders for behavior in my classroom. :D

16. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Ok, I am about to create my chart. Can you help me out? Suppose everyone starts at zero at the beginning of the day. There will be -1, -2, - 3 and a +1, +2, +3 on the chart. ( I figure for fifth grade this serves a dual pupose to teach negatives and positives) Now, if HW is not done, the student goes to a -1. I know there is "no recovery" here because no HW, is no HW. I generally write a note in the Agenda indicating that the HW has not been done and the parent has to sign. Now suppose the student is fantastic in behavior during the day, I don't want to reward them by moving him/her back up to zero, they will feel that they don't have to do HW and can just behave splendidly, and be rewarded. Any suggestions will be welcomed. :confused: :confused:

17. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 31, 2005

hmmm, I have my students move down 1 point for not doing homework too. But they also have to give up their recess. That way, even if they have great behavior and move back up, they are still giving up something. I don't know if this will work for you, but that is what I do. Also, I too send home a note that the child did not do thier homework. That in itself is a punishment, because they have to get it signed. I hope this works for you. Good Luck! :)

P.S. I also wanted to note that I think it's great that you are going to use "negatives", I obviously can't because I have 3rd graders, but good luck.

18. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Thank you so much for your input. Last year my district would not allow us to use "no recess" as a consequence. Challenges, challenges, challenges! Have a great year, and thanks again for your super ideas. :D

19. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 31, 2005

This is a great thread and I've gotten so many great ideas for behavior management!! You guys are awesome!

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

IF you can't use no recess or portions of recess off, what about losing time on a preferred activity, like free choice centers or whatever? I know when my 2nds chose to break a rule during our "sink and float" unit, they had to sit and watch for the rest of the activity instead of getting to participate... they still got the learning, but it wasn't as much fun! (Or if they chose to talk on the carpet during reading time, they had to go back and listen from their desk). Would something like that work?

21. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Hmmm, you've given me food for thought. Thank you. :angel:

22. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 1, 2005

Love the idea of negatives also, Rainey. think I will borrow your idea.

23. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I just finished my chart today. Good luck to you and have a wonderful year! :angel:

24. prekteach

prekteach Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Does anyone have any suggestions for a token system for little ones,
    Pre-k, that is 4 yr olds? I have been using the behavioral chart for the past 5 years and it is just losing steam. Plus, I have grown tired of it! Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!

25. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 3, 2005

I like the points idea. I teach 5 classes of 4th grade reading. So, maybe someone can help me figure out the way to use it in my classroom. I was thinking I'd have a chart with the points for everyone to see. But a large spreadsheet roster printed out on the wall. When students change their number we'd write it in the chart. I'd have any extra column that would keep track of the accumulated points from previous weeks.

I'd have one of these for each of the homerooms and use it for the whole week before starting at 2 each MOnday. Any thoughts? Thanks...

Alicia :)

26. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Today I completed my tally chart. I laminated it (twice) so that it is quite stiff and will use an overhead marker to record the daily points earned for each student. At the end of the week, a total for each student will be taken. I've decided to incorporate the reward system that I used last year with this system. For each 5 points earned, the student will earn a point on their Personal Goal Card (PGC). When the PGC is completed ( it is a grid), the student chooses a coupon(from a list) that I have created. (no HW, sit at the teacher's desk for a day, chew sugar free gum for a day, eat any snack you want) The tally chart is then wiped and used again for the next week. Thank you Amanda for sharing your point system with us. :)

27. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I'm so glad everyone likes my point system! Last year it really worked wonders! Students were always looking for "wonderful" things to do to earn more points...it was a great motivator. Sometimes I even would let the first person who was on task with thier book open to the right page move up to the next point category. It was great. And of course, when students lost points, they didn't like it at all, so it worked that way too. Good luck everyone! I hope it works just as well for you.

BTW, this year instead of doing a "bee" theme board, I'm going to do a race track. It's going to say "On track with great behavior". Each of the students names are going to be written on race cars, instead of bees. :) Just something to think about.

[​IMG]