token system

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

Has anyone tried Ms. Powell's token system in fifth grade? I really like the concept of it and I bought some tokens from Oriental Trading to set it up. I was just wondering how it worked for someone in fifth grade.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

I've never heard of it. What is it exactly?

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

I used the basic idea and tweaked it to work with large numbers of students (last year I had 22 sections of 4th and 5th grade students). What I did was use tickets to reward students. They would put their name on a ticket and drop it in their bag. At the end of class I would pull tickets and students would choose from a list of about 40 rewards.

I was hesitant about picking a reward for the students like Powell does b-c students wouldn't necessarily like what they got. I'm curious what other people have experienced with it b-c my position next year will probably involve me seeing students every day and this system may work.

You may also want to look into the lotto board idea. :D

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

CMW - would you mind sharing your list? Do you have coupons for things or actual stuff that they choose from at the end of class?

I use tickets as well, but I draw five tickets for each class on Friday. Students choose from my box, which is filled with plastic eggs some with coupons, some with stuff.

When the tickets started piling up I would use the tickets to select helpers/errand runners, etc. as she describes.

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

Where can I find information about this lotto board idea?

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

There's a couple different ones. One is a class wide one and one is individual. I could only find a link for the class wide one. http://sites.google.com/site/mrsrollogr3/home/behavior-bingo

The individual one works similarly in that you have a hundreds board or bingo/ lotto board. When a student does something great (follows a certain procedure, helps a classmate etc...) they get to write their name on any number. At the end of the day/ week/ whatever you decide you pull numbers or roll dice to make a number. If a student is on that number they get a reward. A 4th grade teacher in my building did it and liked it. :D

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

Man of these came from the Can Teach website. http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/classman2.html
    These were ones that I could live with since I only saw my kids once a week for 50 minutes. If it's helpful, I put a star next to the ones my 4th & 5th really liked.

 Sit at the teacher's desk
     Use the teacher’s chair*
     Sit on a stool
     Use the computer*
     Special helper
     Take attendance
     Sit next to a friend for one day
     Sit anywhere
     Choose song for class to hear*
     Choose activity/game for class*
     Teach the class something fun
     Get a drink whenever you want*
     Work under the table during seatwork
     Lunch in the classroom with a friend***
     Eat lunch with the teacher
     Stinky feet (taking off shoes)
     Candy treat*
     Trip to treasure box*
     Pass out supplies
     Picture on homepage of class website*
     Sticker
     Run errands
     Send a positive note home
     Make a positive call home*
     Water classroom plants
     Feed fish
     Feed/ clean toad tank*
     Sign name on the window***
     Choose a video clip for the class
     Be first in line
     Bring in a cd*
     Invite a visitor from outside to school
     Play a game with a friend during recess
     Work in the lunchroom
     Operate the projector
     Get a fun worksheet
     Teach the class*

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I tried it but I was not good at keeping up with it. I found myself on Friday trying to remember what happened all week to stick the tokens in.
    I just did a treasure box for the reward.

11. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2010

I've used it with third grade and was debating on whether to use it with 5th this year. It was really easy to implement (for me), even though some weeks I wasn't as on top of things. On those weeks, I simply chose fewer tokens for prizes. I was almost always able to get it done Friday afternoon, but if not, it only took a few minutes on Monday morning. I also used my prize box for them to select from. I think for 5th (if I use it) I will do more rewards like letting them sit at my desk, or use a pillow for the day, etc. I'm not sure how 5th grade will feel about getting prizes from the box- unless of course it is food! ;)
    Good luck

12. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2010

That's why I loved it- it was easy for me to say, "hey, N, thanks for listening- get a chip" they knew what I meant and what the procedure was. I'd give them chips for group work, or turning in assignments (not always), having their name on their paper etc. It didn't take long to say, "hey...." There was minimal disruption as long as they know the procedure. I had a really honest class, so I didn't have to worry about them sneaking chips. If someone has trouble with that, they can always be kept in your desk and have 1 person in charge of getting them when needed. In fact, that could be their reward- or a class job.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

My 5th graders really liked mechanical pencils and pens from my prize box! They also liked super balls, key chains, and noisemakers (whistles, mini maracas, mini recorders). :D

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

I tried it and didn't love it...but I don't think I stuck it out long enough. I'll probably try it again this year. Where did you get your tokens? Part of the reason didn't love it was because I had 2 classes. If I had 2 colors of tokens I might have found it easier.

15. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2010

I used poker chips! Each student has a number so I numbered about 10 chips per student. I used red and white for the students, and blue for whole class rewards. With poker chips you could use a different color per class. '
    I will also have 2 classes, so this is why I'm debating on using it. I thought I might use this for my homeroom class and just tickets for the other class that I only have for 2 hours a day.

16. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 16, 2010

18. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 16, 2010

When I wanted poker chips, I checked at garage sales and asked parents(through our school communication system)- I ended up with 4x as many as I will EVER need. haha.

19. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

This is what my Token economy is like

Hi everyone,

I'm a 3rd year teacher in Alberta, Canada.

For the past 2 years, I have had a "SkinnerBucks" classroom economy run in my class, with improvements over the last year's methods.

First off, I have made my own money, with my face on them and 2 areas that are blank white, where I have embossed the paper to make a watermark that is impossible to reproduce / copy to ensure fair money making, and no photocopying at home (imbezelment).

My money is in colour with the following denominations:

I give each student a "checkbook" with a series of additions, and deductions, which is where I pay them their daily amount (random amount each day (usually $15-$28))

I also have a "SkinnerBuck Fines" list posted at the front of the room with various fines:

Reaching into the lotto jar - All your SkinnerBucks
    Complaining if your get a fine - Double
    Leaning back on chair (2 legs) - $4000
    Being silly - $100
    Loud outside voice in the classroom/Hallyway - $100
    Visiting/passing notes during worktime - $500
    Running in the hallway - $200

Etc.

I basically add fines as the year progresses, and take off fines that don't apply to the class that year.

Example: A girl was obsessed with Twilight, and she would be swooning over Jacob, "Jacob this, and Jacob that". so I wrote a Team Jacob fine on the board. Rolled a dice and the number landed on 4 (4 digit fine). I let "Chance" make the amount of the fine by having her roll the dice. She rolled a 2,4,4,1. Therefore her Team Jacob fine was $2441 each time she said Jacob...

She only taked about Jacob at recess from then on.

If a student gets fined, they pay their fine to the "Lotto Jar" where everyone's name is written on a popsicle stick including "the bank", and when the time comes, I reach into the jar and count up the total.

Sometimes it is over $8000 SkinnerBucks.

You have to be sitting in your desk in order to win, if your name is pulled. I ask the students if they want to "split the pot" but 9 times out if 10 they say no. (Greedy buggers) I pull a name and then present the entire jar's fines to the lucky person.

One time the girl that was the loud one of the room, put over $4000 of her money in the jar and her name got pulled, so she received her second chance...

What they get to spend their money on:

Every so often I have a "Tasty Tuesday" where I bring in healthy snacks, and some not-so-healthy snacks. Ice cream floats and Gummy worm jello cups are the favorites, but ricekrispie squares, and cookies go over well as well.

At Christmas and Easter, I have special money that they exchange to bid at the winter and spring auction. Winter is "SnowDoh" and Spring is "BunnyMoney".

I usually raid the dollarstore with recycling money saved up from the class bottle deposits, and present items that the kids can bid on.

To eat up their savings, 1 SnowDoh equals 10 SkinnerBucks, and they cannot trade their SnowDo back in for SkinnerBucks, so they usually start at 0 when they return from winter break.

Overall it is a lot of work to get going, but I love it, and the kids do also. If they are bad I simply fine them, and if they are good, I pay them.

For special guests, assemblies, and field trips, I write the fines up and let the kids decide what the rates should be. They usually are fair and ask if they are good, if they get rewards. I usually put my expectations, up on the board, and if they adhere to them, they can get some bonus cash just for behaving.

At the end of the year, there is the Final auction, where they take they savings, and round up to the nearest $500. I usually have prizes from $1-$5 on a table like a yardsale, and I draw 3 names from the jar, and they choose 1 item, then come to me and I subtract the price from their total on a side board. The process continues until savings are gone, then we clean up, and they celebrate their winnings. Over the 2 years, only one kid has said a genuine thank-you to me, but I enjoy seeing them choose prizes for their hard work. Most buy prizes for younger siblings too.

Anyway Good Luck,
    Mr. Skinner :D

20. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

Hi Mr. Skinner!
    I'm going to be teaching 5th grade for the 5th time this year (I LOVE it), and I have a question about your checkbook system. Do you have the students keep track of their credits and debits, or do you do it for them? I'm thinking of using actual ledgers (from the bank), but I'm not sure how to keep them from "adding" credits that I don't give them. Thanks!