token economy/ points

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 22, 2013.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

I generally have a pretty well behaved class, but I am trying to get them to take more responsibility for themselves.

I am thinking of doing a token economy or points system. I'm wondering what you all have tried?

3. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 22, 2013

I don't know if it would work for you or not, but today I posted in the secondary education board about something called Brownie Points. The thread is called "classroom participation."

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I have a token economy. I use ClassDojo, and every Friday we tally up the points earned over the course of the week. The students get to "spend" their point in my classroom store. Last year I kept track of the points on a log I kept in a binder. This year, I think I'm going to actually hand out dollars (fake, of course) to give them the experience of counting out their money. It's been very effective with the majority of my students. The only one who showed little interest was my one kindergarten student. He was happy if I gave him nothing more than a tiny sticker!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

So this works with younger kids? Do they ever have to pay a penalty with their money?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

Yes! It worked very well.... especially for those kiddos that are very concrete thinkers. I think I took away points (and this year will be dollars) less than a handful of times last year. I tried really hard to reinforce positive behaviors rather than drawing attention to the negative behaviors. So, if one student was refusing to complete their work, all of the other students earned a point for being on-task, while the off-task student was ignored. However, I should clarify that, while I think focusing on positive is good in any setting, I find it to be especially important in the sped setting when working with kids with behaviors. In a regular classroom setting, I might be more inclined to "charge" students a penalty for inappropriate behaviors, but it would probably depend on the specific students in my classroom.