Token Economy Plan

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by kidsalot, Oct 19, 2007.

1. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Oct 19, 2007

Help with token economy plan

I have a student that I must put in place a token econmy plan for. Let me say that this goes against my style of behavior management BUT due to circumstances I don't have control over I must resort to this type of management. (His therapist requested through his foster mother, that I try this type of behavior mgmt. )I am concentrating on only one behavior and am having difficulty trying to word the targeted behavior. The child refuses to comply. He will not move from the rug to table. If he does go to the table he will purposely bother his group members. He will also leave his seat and hide or crawl under furniture and kick at the underside or the wall. I am looking for a simple sentence that is clear and concise and will be understood by a five year old. Thanks!!

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 19, 2007

The student will leave the rug when asked, and move to the table, stay in his seat, and do his work. Receives token for each time he does it.

I don't believe in praise and rewards, but if used, they should be sparing, specific, and, with young children, immediate. I like that it's just for one task. Be sure to give him plenty of chances to do this, and give the reward immediately after the desired action. At first, you may give the sticker (or whatever) after only working for 1 minute. Then 2. Then 3. etc.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

You can also give him a token for each step of the behavior... one token for moving t the table, one for sitting in his seat, and one for doing his work for "x" number of minutes. Of course, the more tokens you end up giving, the more it should cost him to earn a reward, but it makes them more achievable at first. If at the beginning, all he has to do is sit at the table, that's a great first step. Then slowly fade your reward system once he's gotten that step down, so that he now earns points only when he stays in his seat for x amount of time, and then fade that one out so that he only receives a token for doing his work for x amount of time.

5. kavade

kavade Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

huh?

I'm a little confused. You have an outsider telling you how to run your class? Someone who isn't employed by your school? Or do I misunderstand?

6. desari

desari Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

kavade~ I am sure it may sound odd but it sounds like this student has something working against him.

7. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

Token economies work for certain people. Don't dismiss is completely, just because it isn't something you normally do.

Each person is different, and one behavior management plan doesn't fit ALL people!

If he is still not listening to you, maybe you don't give him enough praise....or maybe the reward isn't good enough.

If you find the right reinforcer, the child will do what you want. It is the trick...finding the right reinforcer!

It is YOUR job to find out what will motivate this student to do what you want.

Maybe it is a routine that the child has developed that you need to change.....just have to figure it out!

Children NEED positive praise and reinforcement!

8. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Nov 4, 2007

Thanks for all your feedback! I should clarify that this child's history is very sad and has contributed greatly to his difficulties. His soon to be adopted parents are still finding out how horrible his home life was. The outsider is his therapist who suggested this type of behavior plan for his parents and I to use. His behavior at home is a million! times worse than at school. We have decided to use a sticker system at school which will be sent home daily. He will earn a reward (at home) if he accumulates a set number of stickers. I pull him aside after each block of our day and tell him whether he earned a sticker- I ALWAYS!!! praise his positive behaviors and if he has not earned a sticker we discuss together what he could do differently.