Toddler Teacher Salaries

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by carriescandles, Jun 1, 2006.

1. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

Do any of you experienced Montessori Teachers have an idea of a salary range that would be reasonable? I am interviewing for the first time in 7 years to make a change and am struggling with this issue. Some schools have said I am paid well while others say I am underpaid. Just thought I would get an idea of others out there. Also in your experience do most Montessori Teachers get the summer off? I have in all 7 years but that seems to also be in question. Thanks for the heads up.

:)

3. Kerana5

Kerana5 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Toddle Teacher Salaries

Depending on your experience I would say between $12-15k a year is reasonable. Or maybe I'm a sucker.

Last year I worked as an intern, part-time (8AM to 1PM) and made $12K a year.

This year I got a job as lead teacher, 1 yr experience and was offered $14K a year. (8Am to 3:30PM). It averaged out to $10 an hour.

Today another school called to offer me a job for same hours as I will be working, but the salary they offered was $13K a year.

If you had 7 years experience maybe somewhere between $14k-$16K a year might be reasonable, what do others think?

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

At the school where I work, the teachers are paid according to a scale.
    Some of the factors that decide the pay rate are Montessori certification, college degree ( a BS or Masters) state of Illinois teaching certification, and years experience. We are a private non for profit school that goes from age 3-6th grade. Our school recently did a pay survey of the public and private schools in our city. They then adjusted the pay scale. A person with a 4 year college degree and Montessori certification would start out around 25,000 a school year.

5. Kerana5

Kerana5 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Man, I wonder if I can convince my husband to transfer to Illinois then.

When I was working in SC the highest I had ever hear anyone making was $18K a year and that was from someone who had a 4 yr. degree, ECE Montessori Certification, Elementary 1 and Elementary 2 Montessori Certification and 22 years experience at the same school.

Jenni

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Just be prepared to pay more for houses, gas, insurance, etc. LOL

7. Kerana5

Kerana5 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

more than here in Orlando? I already pay close to $1500 a month on rent! My hubby is the one who pays all the bills...I bring in what we call entertainment and relaxation money. I pay for the Satellite dish I pay for vacation and most of my salary goes towards retirement funds :)

8. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

What kind of school do you work at? Is it privately owned? Our is run by a board of parents and is a non for profit. We also get 9 personal days plus the usual breaks. Are you renting an apartment or a house? If you can take the winters, come on up! We are going to be in Orlando in a couple of weeks. I know we are going to melt!

9. Kerana5

Kerana5 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

lol, I used to live in MN not so long ago. I graduated from college yeah 2002. I then moved to SC and worked in Montessori school there, got my training there.

I moved to Orlando 2 weeks ago. Husband got a job. We're renting a house. Gotta be honest though, it is a beeeeeeeeeeeutiful house, the nicest i'd ever lived in.

I love Orlando. just would be nice to get more $ :) But isn't that always the case?

It is a very small private school. 40 students. It is owned by one woman who was a classroom teacher, in fact I've taken over her class because she has been so sick that the doctor actually banned her from the school for 3 months last school year!

So, she's retiring.

Jenni

10. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

The salary does seem low to be a lead teacher. What is your yearly tuition? Our is around $5,000 for early childhood. This is full day from 8:30-3:30. The Elementary tuition is slightly more expensive.

11. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

I asked for between $15-17 an hour with holidays and vacation/sick time. That didnt seem to be a problem. I guess it depends on where you live, who owns the school, and how badly they need a teacher with experience. Thanks for all your input.