Toddler Montessori Lessons

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by MDMontessori, Sep 20, 2003.

1. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 20, 2003

This age kids really like water lessons. Do you have a baby bath lesson? If not, I will tell you how to do that.

They also love sorting. A really easy one is sorting poker chips. You will need to find a container with 3 sections, another box for the chips and a basket to hold the items.

I haunt the dollar stores for sorting items. I just found a pack of 4 different earsers shaped like balls....soccer, basketball, baseball and football. I just need a four part sorting tray.

I bought 2 packs of cheap colored cars. This is a color matching lesson. Of course they LOVE little cars.

I found a pack with different colored rings. They were 5 different colors. I placed these in the round trays used for veggies at a picnic. It also has a circle in the middle. All the rings go in the center section. They then sort them into the 5 sections. I have a couple of trays and look for things to sort into 5 all the time.

I have a high tolerence for lessons works. I have all the 3's from the other end because the other teacher is not able to handle them. I show them the right way to do a lesson. They must first do it this way. Then they may try other things as long as they are on a mat. For example, the rings. After they sort them, they may put them on their fingers, etc. BUT..it must be done quietly and keeping the lesson on their mat.

This is the only way I can have time to work with individual children. The director is ok with this..thank goodness. It builds concentration and gives them many times to take out a lesson...do it...then clean it up and return it. This is a major goal for the little kids.

Eileen ...who has many more ideas but needs to get ready to take WET junk from the basement to the dump...UGH

3. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 20, 2003

Take your time, I'm a patient person :)
    I see the water lesson attraction! This is the first week I put out water lessons, how my little ones love them! They are so much more careful than my older kids, too! I don't have a baby bath lesson, but I have a lot of pouring and transfer. I have a lot of sorting too, but upon your advice, I'll put together more...

I subscribe to this same philosophy :) I'm also a big proponent of pretend play. Although I know the Montessori stance on it, I think it is SOOO valuable for the development of language and social skills!

4. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 20, 2003

We took one big load to the dump. That is the limit for one day. Tomorrow should be the end of it. I have several big rubbermaid tubs and just fill them with the wet junk. NOTHING cardboard on the floor..only plastic stuff. We just chucked all the canning jars in the recycle place. I have no time for canning when teaching. If I ever desire to do that again..I will just buy more. I have some old dishes and stuff and will put them into one of the big tubs. If the tub is too light, it just floats around. They should hold it down and then I can put another container of top of it.

The baby bath lesson consists of one baby doll about 10 or so inches......one rubbermaid type dish pan.......a pouring pitcher....a small plastic bottle with a little liquid soap and mostly water...mine has a top you screw on lid and a small tip at the end. I have a washcloth for washing....a big bath towel to put on the table under the lesson and a smaller hand towel for drying the baby. They are allowed to fill the pitcher to the line I marked twice for the tub. They are SUPPOSED to use 3 squirts of soap....lol.
    They wash the baby with the washcloth. I also have a toothbrush in there for small places. Not quite right for a real baby but it extends the lesson for quite some time. So you would have one washcloth, one hand towel and one full size towel.
    After she is bathed they wrap her in the hand towel to dry her off.
    Then they have to clean up the whole lesson as any other water lesson. I allow 2 people to do this. Of course they have on their water smocks.
    This takes so long I do not have another set of towels for another child to do it. Once is enough!!!! I some pictures of them doing this and when I get them scanned will send you to the site. I use webshots and am making more albums for there.
    What ages do you teach? I have 23 kids right now.....and 7 are just barely 3.....5 are kindergarten and the rest 4. The other teacher has only 19 and just one 3 and 1/2 year old. The rest are 4 and 5. I can have 25 in the room.
    Off to roll of the 4 extension cords from the generator and pack some wet stuff for the dump. I use the computer for a wit down break.

Pretend play???? You mean when my little girls play beauty parlor with the lesson that is supposed to be for screwing caps on and off bottles???? I never saw them do that....LOL.

Eileen

5. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 20, 2003

I teach a pre-k class of 3 and 4 year olds about half children with special needs, half typical kids. Some of my 3's just turned 3. Others have developmental delays and are working on a 2- 2 1/2 year old level. Three of my 4's are almost 5 (Sept/Oct birthdays). Right now I have 17 kids, eight 3's and nine 4's, but I supposedly can have up to 20, last year I had 19 all year, the two years before that I had 21...It's a public Montessori school so the classes are split: pre-k (3 and 4 year olds), k/1, 2/3, 4/5. I LOVE my class this year!