Toddler at Home

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by satisilver, Nov 29, 2006.

1. satisilver

satisilver New Member

Nov 29, 2006

Hello, I have a couple questions. First, I have read just about every book on montessori that I could find that pertains to children near my sons age, which is 2.5 years. I have also done certification distance learning, and have implemented everything I could find for our home environment since my son was born. Now, he is in a montessori program and doing wonderful! But, I always come back to the questions of what more can I do at home? I do not necessarily want to introduce some materials since I know that watching him with them at home would be differnet than him using them in a classroom and I do not want him to learn any bad habits with them and then take that to school. But, I would love to hear any ideas people have for keeping with the montessori way of life out of the classroom.

PS: I also have a goal to become a toddler montessori teacher in the future, so any information or pictures toddler teachers can send me would be really appreciated! Thank you.

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Nov 29, 2006

Hello, There is a wonderful book written by Kelly D. Moore. It is called Montessori Life: A Directress' advice for the "prepared environment" The address for ordering the book is

Kelly D. Moore
    P.O. Box 9021
    San Pedro, CA 90734

Some of the activities that can be done around the home:

Language:
    Make List (grocery, Christmas, Things to do)
    Make up Stories
    Read
    Rhyming Games
    Opposite Games
    Use correct Language for everything!

Math:
    count everything
    Cook together
    Use rulers and tape measures (growth charts)
    Look for patterns
    Tell time
    count money

Practical Life:
    household chores
    dust vacuum
    water the plants
    make lunch/breakfast
    dress themselves
    pour drinks for themselves
    assist in the preparation of dinner

Art:
    cut/paste
    go to art museums
    cut out magazine pictures
    paint on the sidewalks with a bucket of plain water, watch it evaporate.
    dance
    learn to play an instrument

Geography:
    Use maps/globes
    watch the weather
    be aware of different people
    make maps
    get a pen pal
    learn a new language

Science:
    Look up plants that you find
    look at the sky
    map of the stars
    take care of animals
    garden
    collect rocks, shells, leaves
    touch and feel nature
    plant seeds
    Use scientific language
    Don't just explain; show why (hands on)

Preparation of the Meal:
    Simple chopping/prepping food
    organizing the ingredients
    spreading
    measuring
    kneading
    cookie cutting
    mixing
    stirring
    assembling
    dishing it on the plate
    presentation
    reading recipes
    counting ingredients
    pushing buttons on appliances
    tasting!! licking bowls and spoons.

This is just a few of the ideas that she has written down. There are many more ideas. I give a copy of this to my new parents every year at conference time. Good Luck and welcome to Montessori!

4. MissMisty

MissMisty New Member

Nov 30, 2006

Diddo to pattypoo

Hi satisilver!

Pattypoo is right and has included a lot in her list. Do you have many lessons at home? Practical life is endless and they love the activities. If you want any suggestions I would be happy to send some your way. Thanks and good luck!

5. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Dec 1, 2006

Hi! I am also Montessori trained and have a daughter (now 4) in the Children's House.
    My daughter and I participated in a video by NAMTA called "At Home with Montessori", where the big emphasis is on working side by side with the child. Children love to be involved in the daily rhythms of the household, working right alongside Mom or Dad with cooking, washing, folding, fixing, gardening, sewing - whatever it is that you're doing. There is also an emphasis on spending time outdoors together exploring nature!
    I also offer "M Home Consultations" for our school fundraisers. We set up an area in each room with the child-sized items.
    In the Kitchen:
    a child-sized table and chairs
    a shelf or drawer (at the child's height) that contains dishes, glasses, tableware, napkins
    a dish bin to put dirty dishes in (kept in same place, the child will be consistent with cleaning her table)
    a pitcher of water
    towels available to the child for wiping spills
    a friendly attitude towards mistakes!
    a small colander for washing fruits/veggies
    ideas:
    set the table
    wash and slice veggies
    wash dishes
    cooking and baking
    In the Bedroom:
    low rod in closet, small hangers
    time to practice dressing skills
    In the Bathroom, a small table with a bowl and pitcher, soap, nail brush and toothbrush set up where the child can reach.
    The child-sized broom, mop and dustpan.
    A hook for her to hang up her coat when she goes in/out.
    A container with raisins or other dried fruit, another with pretzels or crackers, and one with her cereal in it that she can manage to open and close herself.
    A pitcher of water and a pitcher of milk in the refrig. It has been really helpful that she is able to serve herself a little snack while I'm fixing dinner and she can get her cereal on her own in the a.m. Somedays, she is dressed, done with breakfast and in her coat and boots before me!
    This is the aspect of encouraging independence that is so helpful, the child is not dependent on the adult simply to act in her environment, she has the items needed available and can act on her own impulse.
    How is your home environment going? Any new ideas?
    Target and other home supply stores have these small clothing racks that are adjustable. At the lowest setting, it is just right for a child to reach. It could be placed inside the closet or just out in the room. My daughter recently has been in the routine of putting her clothes out the night before. I only did it once with her but now she keeps reminding me and it has become part of her bedtime routine.
    I use the Michael Olaf catalog as well as Montessori Services, they have excellent quality child sized tools, tableware and musical instruments...I like to look at second-hand shops for things like wooden/silver trays, baskets, small glass cups and plates. IKEA has some child-sized items that are cheaper, but the quality is not as good.

6. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Dec 1, 2006

p.s. I also loved Patty's post. Lots of great ideas! Thanks.

We also love to play the "Sound Games".