Today was my first day!!!!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pinkdaisy88, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Today was my first day ever as a teacher. It went very well. I had very little issues. I'd have to say my biggest problem is having so much to cover as far as rules and routines go.

I do have a big problem child though and I could use some advice. This boy REFUSES to listen. He would not stop talking at any point in time. He kept talking to his neighbors and his friends and wasn't getting any work done. At one point he went to the classroom library to pick out a book and I had told him to return to his seat to read it. He ignored me and tried to sit on the floor with another boy and I said "****, your seat is right here, you have 5 seconds to sit down in it before you flip another card." He rolled his eyes and said "But I don't wanna sit there." I told him that I didn't care and he needed to follow the classroom rules and be respectful.

He ended up having to flip his card twice but he was still being a little jerk. Any ideas?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Well, I would start off by pulling the student aside or going to him to talk with him so that not all the other students hear.

Another thing that works well with students who have trouble following directions is to offer choice in the direction so that the student feels like they have a say.

However, this may be a student that you need to pull aside and talk to about why they aren't following the rule. Maybe their is some background he will share.

4. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

Definitely sounds like he's testing you. Continue following through with your behavior plan and try (although I know it's really hard) not to let his defiance get to you. It's really easy to get pulled into power struggles.

One thing you can try when he's ignoring you is to check-in to make sure he heard/understood your directions. You can say, _______, what did I ask you to do?

Check out these websites when you get a chance: http://www.disciplinehelp.com/teacher/ and http://www.empoweringparents.com/ These are great resources on how to handle various behaviors at school and home.

I'm glad that everything else went well and congrats on your first day!!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 11, 2011

I agree. He's doing the first day test. If you really sit down and talk with him and let him know your expectations he should come around. And he may even become one of your favorite students!

6. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 11, 2011

Try to catch him being good. Sometimes I know that is hard. I agree with the other posters. Continue to be firm and consistent. It is much easier to relax in the classroom once you've established your discipline than it is to toughen up later in the year. :)