Today was a good day . . . but for a sad reason

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Aug 23, 2012.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Aug 23, 2012

Today was a good day for me, but for a really terrible reason. One of my theatre student's father committed suicide over the weekend, and because I always stress to the theatre students how we are a family, I felt it was important that I attend the viewing this evening, and the funeral tomorrow afternoon. A few of other students attended as well, but they are also friends of the student, as well as his older sister, who was also in my program.

First of all, the kids were so amazed to see me there--they actually smiled, which I'm sure was very rare today. And their mother was so genuinely touched that I was there. I had really only met the father once, and she is not one of the super involved parents--so although I know her, it's not a close relationship. She was so surprised that a teacher from her kids' school would take the time out of their schedule to attend the service-

I felt really good about myself, even in the midst of the tragedy--I felt terrible for the kids and i wanted to show my support.

I now know there is one family that really knows I care about their kids, not just my job.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

That was really nice of you to go. I grew up in a small town and when my friend's mother died in 4th grade almost every teacher from our elementary school attended the wake. (There were 4 kids in her family.) It was definitely appreciated by the family.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2012

My 12 year old nephew suddenly died over the summer. My sister was most touched by the teachers and students who attended his funeral. Joe was E.D. (it's a long story) and not an easy child to be around, but there were classmates and teachers from a number of grade levels who took time out of their summer break to attend. It was a truly lovely gesture.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

My friend who was a teacher passed suddenly (luckily we're like fam so we had seats), but it was standing room only. I was amazed at the amount of people that were there from the school that her children went to!!! I know the family was truly touched.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

When my father passed away my sister was still in HS and the Superintendent (who all four kids had as Principal in MS), Guidance Counselor (to all 4), and the former Spanish Teacher when I was in school (I think she was VP for just my sister at this time and maybe homeroom for 1 brother prior) all came. My parents weren't involved with the school but it was very much appreciated. I actually interviewed with the Spanish Teacher who later became a principal and she remembered me but I'm not sure if she remembered my father passing or going to the funeral. I did thank her at the end of the interview though. I finished in 2nd place for the job after a demo.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

We always go when one of our kids loses a parent as well... how could we not?

I'm so sorry for your student's loss.

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

I lost my brother at a very young age (10) and it meant a lot to me at the time when my teachers came to the Shiva House one evening.