Today reaffirmed my decision to leave next year...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

I was miserable at my school last year and I'm even more miserable this year (although I'll admit some things are better - my classes are so much better behaved!)

Last week I woke up at 5:30 am and checked my school email. There were already 3 emails waiting for me from my principal telling us to do one thing or another, or handing down some bad news...it's just the way she words things! Cold, condescending, and negative. It was only 5:30 am on a Monday and she had already tanked my day. I decided right then and there that was the final straw. I was tired of this place ruling my life and living in fear of my admin. I've been on antidepressants since July and am busting my but for grad classes my admin is forcing me to take.

Today my decision was reaffirmed.

My unannounced post-observation conference went something like this...

"Ms. Pisces, our office records indicate that you should be having independent reading practice from 8:00 to 8:20, but your lesson plans indicate you are doing this from 8:05 until 8:25. However, on the day I observed you, your independent reading time took place from 8:03 to 8:22. Furthermore, your Literacy lesson should be completed by 9:20, but on the day of my observation I took note that you did not end until 9:23...."

...And so on...

Really? I simultaneously wanted to laugh at the ridiculousness and cry from the pain. I teach kids, and I am not a robot. There was no mention of my awesome use of technology, great student work on the walls, neat graphic organizer from the lesson or the way my kids were enthralled in the book I was reading (I used great character voices :))

Am I overreacting? Someone please tell me.

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 11, 2010

Oh my goodness that is ridiculous! I can't imagine being in a school that times my lessons. You are doing the right thing to get out of there.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

No, I don't think you are overreacting, and I think you should definitely have a copy of the evaluation in your own files to show potential employers if you can't get a good rec. from this P. Any reasonable human would laugh at the rediculousness of that eval. Good luck with your next job search. You deserve so much better than this.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 11, 2010

You are not overreacting, Pisces. If you can get out and move onto another district-do it! You will not regret the change. Good luck, and keep your chin up until summer!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2010

I don't think that you're overreacting either, Pisces. I would definitely look for another job. Good luck!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2010

Wow! I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the ridiculousness of that evaluation. My own evaluation has come and gone and I haven't had the meeting to discuss it yet. The person doing it is new at his job and goes from too soft to too hard and doesn't quite know what he is doing. I'm certain he'll still do 200% better than this. I will remember that when he talks about mine and not worry too much about it. I couldn't even begin to fathom working for anyone that thinks like that much less treats people like that. I'm a bit dumbfounded for you!

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 11, 2010

Wow! She'd really hate me-we're usually off schedule by more than 2 minutes :whistle:. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this. You're a better person than me-I probably really would have laughed out loud. Next staff meeting you should point out that she said it would start at 3:30 and it's 3:32.;)

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 11, 2010

Nope, you are not overreacting, every day my lessons are probably a lot more than 3 minutes off, especially since we haven't had recess lately and I juggle things to make the day more interesting and make time for a short educational video before lunch to make up for no recess. I agree with kindercowgirl - make sure to point out that the next staff meeting was 3 minutes later than stated!

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

How is everyone else reacting to this micromanagement? Are they passing out Valium in the lounge?

Breathe... enjoy the remainder of your year, and your P might just be the one leaving! You should canvass your colleagues and see how they feel too. Do you have a union?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

Valium in the lounge? Heck, I hope someone's putting it in the coffee!

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

No union, but I am without a doubt in the vast, vast majority when it comes to feeling undervalued, hounded, scared quiet, etc.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

And I admit to entertaining much more wicked speculations about what should be in the coffee of that principal...

14. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

yes, I would do the same.
    It´s the decision. Staying there would be impossible to handle or EVEN SURVIVE!
    Good luck with your job search!!!!!!!!!!

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

That is sooooo crazy. Are they looking for a great teacher or someone who (literally) watches the clock?

Don't feel you are overreacting -- you are having a totally natural reaction to this silliness. You will be appreciated elsewhere.

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

Wow, that's nuts. I agree, make sure you have a copy of the evaluation so that if you can't get a positive recommendation you can show what a nut-job this person is and that apparently only robots can do the job right.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 11, 2010

I'd start doing recon for jobs next fall NOW. Don't wait until the spring. Just make sure you keep your activities under wraps for a while. If you think she's bad now, what do you think would happen if she knew you were leaving in five months? Someone out there will see what a fantastic teacher you are and hire you. Good luck!

18. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jan 11, 2010

That's just crazy.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

You are NOT overreacting! That principal is crazy if she thinks every teacher is going to be exactly on schedule. Umm, kids will change the lesson times, there are a million different reasons why you won't be able to start a lesson right at 8:00am or end it right on the dot 9:00. She makes my ex principal look not so bad. I would definitely keep a copy of this, and begin looking for a different job. Can you put in for a transfer within the district?

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

:eek: picking my jaw up off the ground!!!

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

I'd like to transfer within my district but I don't know when or how...and I don't want to get caught finding out! :(

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 11, 2010

Your school will notify the teachers when the transfer window is open. Where I live you fill out paperwork, and then the district finds you a spot. Don't know too many details about how that happens, though. And I'm pretty sure they have to do in-district transfers before contracts are due.

23. Miss.H

Miss.H Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

That is ridiculous!!! We are told as teachers that we have to be FLEXIBLE!! Nothing ever goes to an accurate timetable in a classroom..we are working with children!!!!! As you said we are not robots..how can you be the best teacher you can be when you are worried about doing everything to the exact minute.

I think you need to go to our union and maybe discuss that your superior is bullying you. I have never heard of anyone being so pedantic in all my 10 years of teaching. Don't let this person dishearten you...you are obviously a great teacher!! Take your skills elsewhere, where they are appreciated.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

Whoa!!! I don't blame you for being so fed up!! UGH!

Is there someone you can trust to ask either in the D.O. or even some coworkers who may have transferred in the past? Lots of teachers transfer around here so I wouldn't think of it as being such a bad thing. But, I can see how your P may take it bad.

25. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 12, 2010

I'd break something or someone under that kind of pressure. You are one tough nut if you've been putting up with that nonsense without saying anything about it. I'd be all 'bleep the consequences' and my mind would be known. But that's me. It makes me angry for you. You do what you gotta do to get through it. Everything after this will be a cake walk and you a better teacher for it.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2010

OMG! No one can be any more anal than that! I don't blame you, life is too short for that madness.

How many yrs have you been teaching in total? I know you said you'd like to change schools, but if you don't or can't, are you going to get out of teaching altogether?

27. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

This is my second year. I'd rather return to this school than not teach I think, because I'd hate to explain that in an interview. But that makes me sick to even consider. What's even more sad is I love my team. They are my family away from home (I relocated for this job.) Maybe I will call HR and find out when the transfer window is and how it's done. My P is such a bully when it comes to leaving. She's made more than several threats at staff meetings, basically.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2010

Good grief. You're obviously very hampered here - but, lordy, one hopes someone is in a position to blow the whistle on this hideous excuse for a principal and that her superiors have the cojones to do something about it.

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

At least you know how to handle this P when she comes in the room. Teach the way you need to when it's a regular day and when she walks in the room, immediately revert to what is in your plans. The P we have is quite the micromanager, also. We have learned work-arounds-for her. We finally encouraged parents to go to district officials with some of the problems we were having so now I get visits every week from officials checking on things. Fortunately, I have tenure so I can afford to make waves. How long until you get tenure?

30. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Jan 12, 2010

Don't give up on teaching because of one bad administration. But yes, get out of there, I know I couldnt take it

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 12, 2010

I wonder what the turnover rate is for this school. It sounds like a lot of teachers would look for a way out of there.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2010

I see. Well, keep chugging along. I'd try my best not to let a P bully me into doing anything I didn't want to do. When I became a special ed teacher for the 1st time, my P wanted me to lead this afterschool program where I'd get paid a stipend, but I had to do BTSA (for beginning taechers) & I was brand new at not only special ed, but teaching in general, so I declined & was able to get out of it, plus that was a lot of new things to be put on my plate. She didn't rehire me after that 1 yr, but I can't help but wonder if that had anything do to w/ it. Either way, it wasn't meant for me & I'm onto bigger & better things.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

To your principal, my biggest WOW ever posted on A to Z...and there have been a few! :eek:

34. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

I know bad principals can make our lives miserable but like everyone at my school says, we teachers have to stand strong because we'll outlast numerous principals. Just keep copies of everything and file a grievance if need be to cover your butt and as a paper trail that you do not agree with your evaluation results. It is pretty obvious that you are being bullied and that you have grounds to file a complaint. This will help you if this principal ever decides to can you. A teacher at my school allowed herself to be bullied for several years and now has been let go by the principal after being "set up" in a no win situation. This teacher tried to "be nice" and never filed a grievance and now she is fighting for her life. Unfortunately, she has no paper trail with the union or with Human Resources showing that anything was ever amisss so it appears as if she's simply making up excuses. It's really a sad situation.

If you chose to leave, do it because it is YOUR choice and you HAVE another job ready to go to that offers a more professional work environment. Nevertheless, please file the proper forms to protect yourself now and in the future. You never know when things will show up that you have to explain. Not having "fought back" will make you appear weak and soft. Prospective employers may not particularly appreciate those qualities in a teacher candidate. Best of wishes to you.

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 14, 2010

Is your P like this with all of the teachers in the building or just you? It almost sounds like she is trying to force you out rather than deal with the difficulty of firing you. Very passive aggressive if you ask me. Do look elsewhere. You don't need this stress.