To whom do you owe thanks?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by pruckelshaus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Apart from mom, dad, husband, wife, $deity, etc., to whom do you owe thanks for finding and loving teaching as a career?

For me, it was:

* Mr. Graham, my 7th Grade Social Studies teacher, who really made learning fun, interesting, and meaningful to me.
    * Mr. Clinton, my high school Social Studies teacher, who helped me make connections between history and literature and showed me that there was relevance between history and my life.
    * Jane P., my supervising teacher, who was honest with me when I didn't want her to be, and supportive at all times. She's the teacher that I want to become.

Pete

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

Joan, Judi, Janine, Kelly and Sandy who have been wonderful mentors, advisors, cheerleaders, confidantes and friends at various points in my relatively short career. Without them, I would not be where I am today.

The wonderful friends and colleagues I have met here--you have helped me through some difficult times in the past year.

4. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

My aunt. I would never have thought that I would love special education so much if she hadn't introduced me to it.

5. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Since high school, I have planned to get a PhD in marine science. As a requirement to get the degree, I had to teach intro marine science labs for at least one semester. I ended up doing it for three years because I loved it so much! The TA supervisor recognized my passion for teaching and convinced me that it would be ok to change my plans (there was significant pressure from others to get the PhD but my heart wasn't in it anymore). So I decided not to get the PhD, but a masters in marine science (since I'd already taken all the classes), and next week I start the 2 semester teacher prep program at my university. I couldn't be happier about my decision, and I owe it to the supervisor who told me to follow my heart! :wub:

~Briana~

6. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Ms. Williamson by High School Biology teacher. I HATED science before I had her class and because of her high expectations, wonderful teaching skills and examples, in addition to her knowledge and passion of the subject I was hooked to Biology. If it weren't for her I don't think I would be where I am today.

7. Rascal225

Rascal225 New Member

Aug 10, 2007

I would have to say Bonnie Jean (my 5th grade teacher), Amy (cooperating teacher), Fran (cooperating teacher), Gina (college supervisor), Prof. Sinclair (professor), Dr. Tramonte (professor), Lin (high school English teacher), Mrs. Mooers (high school math teacher), Mrs Flynn (my 6th grade teacher), Mrs. Plummer (high school math teacher), and Bonnie G (cooperating teacher).

If any of you read this, thank you so much for everything! You are all my idols ;) :thanks:

8. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Mr. Johnston (high school social studies) who taught me to love history.
    Mr. Heath (high school social studies) - an amazing man who taught high school for over 30 years even though he was completely blind... he counseled me throughout college and I miss him every day

9. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

My 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Stine, and my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Hawkins. They were such amazing and caring teachers. I hope I am able to be half the teachers they were.

10. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Mrs. Garcia, my high school English teacher, is one. I went to a small private school so I had her for English for all four years. She taught me to challenge myself and always encouraged me to make my voice known.

Mr. Shelburne, my college English professor, is another I ought to thank. He was really hard, but he was so intelligent and I admired him so. He taught me to love literature and to see the world through different view points.

Lastly, my in-laws, they fronted the start up cost to my acp program. They saw potential in me. I hope I make them proud.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

Susan Crawford, my 2nd and 3rd grade teacher. She is the most inspiring woman and teacher. She always encouraged me and pushed me to succeed.
    Sherry Freeman, my university supervisor during student teaching. She made sure to keep me on my "A-game" at all times, but I came into teaching EXTREMELY prepared. Four years later, I still catch myself thinking, "what would Ms. Freeman think if she saw me doing this?' :)

12. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 14, 2007

My little sister, if Mom had never had her, I would never have volunteered in classrooms. Also, her kinder teacher who let a 14 year old run centers and sat down and showed me how a teacher planned!!!!

(Shh! Kinder is still my favorite!)

13. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Mrs. Rooney- my 4th through 6th grade Reading Language Arts/Social Studies teacher. (It was a Gifted and Talented Program, so we looped).

She was EVERYTHING a teacher should be. She made learning fun, challenging, and interesting. She inspires me to be a great teacher, and I think of her all the time in the classroom.

14. weno88

weno88 Companion

Aug 16, 2007

:D I really like this thread!
    I could really thank every teacher I've ever had. All of them taught me something valuable even if it was just how not to teach.

1. Mr. Taylor, my elementary school principal. He is still a super hero to me. He was wise and funny. He was an amazing leader for the teachers and the students, and he was constantly involved in the classroom. I could talk all day about what a great person and principal he was.

2. My 2 high school Spanish teachers who were completely opposite in almost every way. :) One was energetic and taught fun, silly lessons that would just stick in your head. The other was more serious, but still knowledgable. She had great classroom management skills.

3. My college Spanish professor who told me that she trusted me to teach a classroom full of kids. She encouraged me when I was doing well and let me know when I needed to improve. She was the best teacher I've had, and her telling me I would be a good teacher was the biggest compliment I could receive.

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 16, 2007

1. Mr. OC my 9th grade Algebra Teacher, thanks to him I mastered Algebra. When I think of a competent teacher he comes to mind. He was a prime example of "knowing your stuff."
    2. Mr. Lawlor my 6th grade English Teacher, thanks to him I learned how to write, we didn't take objective tests on the novels we read we wrote essays. He graded them very tough (which I thought was unfair at the time) becuasease of him I was a good writer in High School and College. His teaching methods really broke through to me and I learned so much.
    3. Ms. Bentlet my 8th Grade American History teacher. The best teacher I ever had. She was not lazy at all and new her stuff inside and out. She never had to consult the textbook for information nor did we use the textbook for anything except readings at home. I still remember the fun activities we did in this class. She was the best lectured I have ever seen, energetic, could connect with her kids, and soo knowledgable. She had to be the hardest working teacher I ever saw. She inspired me to be a Social Studies teacher and really showed me what it meant to be a fun, challenging, but yet extremely effective teacher. She is my role model to this day.
    4. Ms. Mullins my 9th grade English teach. You were horrible, absouely horrible. We never got anything back and your lessons and activites were so uncreative. All the kids hated your class and thanks to you I knew how I didn't want to teach.

16. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

1. Mrs. Cormier, my second grade teacher, who had the sweetest disposition and who embodied everything I thought a teacher should be. I'm not sure that she wasn't the originator of the Wee Willing Workers club! :haha:
    2. Mother Mary Thomas, my grade 9 math teacher, who showed me that teaching didn't have to be dull or all just book learning. She could dance a mean jive!:wow:
    3. Mr. Campbell, my grade 9 and 10 English teacher, who made learning poetry fun (well, as much fun as it could be!).
    4. Mostly, it's been the students themselves who have shown me how much I enjoy being in the classroom, how much I enjoy teaching, and how much I enjoy being around them. :)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2007

First and foremost, my dad, who taught for 35 years. After my mom died when I was 4, my dad used to sneak me into his classroom when my school was closed b/c he didn't have daycare for me. I used to boss his kids around in the junior high and I knew I wanted to teach then!

Also, my mom- even though she died in 1985- she is my guardian angel and she guides me through everything. She was a very strong woman, and I feel that her strength got me through 2 years of job interviews!!

Also, I'd have to say Mr. Reed, my 6th grade principal; Mr. Nehring, my algebra 2 teacher; Mrs. Perkins, my 5th grade teacher; and Katie, the first teacher I worked with during my LTS job (I took over for her after 3 weeks when she had her baby). They have all guided me and helped me and supported me and pushed me to be the very best I can be. I wouldn't be the person I am today without them!

18. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

My 6th grade teacher who came in and cast away with having favorites and made everyone feel important! She was awesome!