To those without jobs still...

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by stephanie90102, Sep 5, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

The school year has begun and I have accepted the fact that I will not be teaching in my own classroom this year. I have, however, put in applications to sub in two districts I am interested in working for someday, so hopefully, I won't be in this situation next year.

For those of you without jobs:
    I am in the same boat as you. Try and sub like crazy, and be the best you can be. Look at this school year as an opportunity to learn new methods, experience new grades, and to "interview" potential districts. This may sound like an excuse, but there is a reason you don't have a job right now. Perhaps your "dream job" is waiting for you. What is meant to be is meant to be. When you find it, you know the time will be right. It is destiny and fate. Just hold on to hope. I am.

Best of luck to everyone in the new school year! Get your booties out their and do your best! I'll be rooting for you! ~Stephanie :)

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

Have faith. Just remember to have faith, that was my motto last year. Last year I began the year doing a long-term subbing position. It then lead to testing students with the PAT (at the same school). When I was all finished doing this, I got a position. Not in the district that I was subbing, or where I live. But in another district 30 mins away. I got my current job in November of last year, becuase they had to make another section of 1st grade. Just have faith!

4. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

Thanks for the encouragement!! I, too, am subbing (again) this year. I still have not given up hope for getting into a classroom THIS year - even though time is quickly running out. There are still openings in my district, at the secondary level, for math, science, and english. As long as there are vacancies posted, I'm taking whatever tests I need to take to get in there!!

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2006

I'm trying to have faith! I'm so bummed about not getting a job this year...going from a full year long-term to day-to-day again feels like taking a step backwards...but hopefully something will open up in the district that I interviewed for...

6. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

Group hug!!! I agree with you TeacherC - it's hard having to deal with the day-to-day stress of not knowing where you'll be teaching, what level, and not staying long enough to really connect with the students. I can't wait to finally have a classroom "home"! Some things are just worth waiting for!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2006

We will all be where we are meant to be when the time is right. NO expereince is ever wasted. I am in the same boat, but honestly, life is too short! Be positive and things will work out. They always do.

8. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 5, 2006

Definately keep subbing and keeping your face in front of the principals, we are in our 4th week of school now and our bridging class keeps growing because they keep getting ARDED out by the other teachers so now we need another bridging teacher and they are looking to hire one of the subs we use in the next week and i know of several elem. schools too full looking for teachers so keep in front of them and keep applying.The first job I ever got, I got at semester, was hired 2 days before Christmas.

9. codename:m.o.m.

codename:m.o.m. Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

Thank you, Stephanie9...:)

10. TeechMee

TeechMee Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

WOW!! It was like reading everything I have been feeling and thinking for this past summer. I, too, am a day-to-day sub again this year even though I applied for a full-time classroom. I do see the benefits of subbing (no papers to grade, paperwork to fill out, no parent teacher conferences) but I miss the benefits of teaching (your own students, classroom, a community to call your own). But I cross my fingers and hope for the best and try to believe that there is a plan for me out there even if it means not teaching at this moment in time.

11. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 6, 2006

stephanie90102, thank you for your thoughtfullness right now. While I won't give up hope just yet, I am content with the CCD class at the church for the time being. (Just wish it was a paid position with benefits. Then, it'd be perfect!) Hopefully, that will help me a little better than all the subbing since I'll have my own class and actually be doing everything Teacher's and TA's actually do.

Again, thank you! :love:

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 15, 2006

Stephanie, :thanks: so much for that post. I needed to hear that. I have been giving resumes to schools for several weeks. Jobs keep popping up on the website. I had just about givin up hope, when I checked the district site and found a school with several openings. I applyed for two, after contacting the school via email. The school called me today. I finally have my first interview on Monday at 2pm. :D I was so happy at work I was jumping around. Now that work is over I am so scared for my interview. I tend to mess up interviews--I get nervous when people write while I talk. Which is ironic. I was a journalist for a while, and I wrote while interviewing people. :rolleyes:

Well thank you again Stephanie, your post really helped me not to give up hope, even if I don't land this job.

:) Hatima

13. codename:m.o.m.

Sep 17, 2006

I just started subbing last week and I am loving it. I feel much better that I am working. It feels good to know also that if my kids get sick I can just not sub and it's not such a stressful big deal. I'm certain that all my subbing this year will pay off in a job next year. We now have a computer run way of getting sub jobs and I love it. I have much more control of my jobs.

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 17, 2006

I am so relieved there are others in the same boat as I am. To date, this will be my 5th year subbing. I was luccky enough to be asked to do a LTS in kg, which I will start tommorrow in a school that is in the neighborhood I spent most of my teenage years in. It is a very nice school, and I have enjoyed multiple one day jobs for several years, now finally I have a long term.
    The principal told me that if this one works out, that she would like to consider me for several more in the spring that are maternity leaves. Total there are 5-7 teachers that are expecting, any where from Last Wednesday(the one I am doing) through end of this school year. I am hoping I can "keep mynose clean" and do everything she wants so that I can work my way into a position for next year.
    Good luck to all of us.

15. codename:m.o.m.

Sep 18, 2006

munchkin-
    Does your pay change at all for your long term assignments? What is your regular daily rate to sub? For my school district ( where my kids go and where I sub the most) it is 85/day. I recently read on the board minutes that after the 20th day it goes up to 91/day and for LTS it is 130/day. It did not used to be like that. You had to sub 120 days to get any kind of raise and I did not think that LTS got a different daily rate from a regular sub that I was aware of. Every school district around here is different.

16. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 24, 2006

Sorry for taking so long to answer. I was in Jamiaca for my 25th anniversary and came home with a horrible case of laringytis.:eek:
    Yes, here in the upstate your rate changes depending on the district that you work for. But in general, it is $65/day for ten consecutive working days in the same classroom/position. Then it is based on the absent teacher's leave time accrued + his/her seniority. Some districts wil make the pay retroactive to cover you from the very beginning, which is really nice, others do not. Some districts make you work 6 weeks before they will bump your pay up to teacher salary, with no retroactive pay involved. It averages out to be about $140/day for however long you stay after that.
    All I can say after 4.5 years of doing this is make SURE you talk to the district HR department to find out their policies Before you say yes to a LTS!!! Do NOT rely solely on the say so of the school's administrative staff!
    While youre working this timer in this position, you are the teacher that has left. You are expected to perform the job exactly as they would of if they were still there. Meetings, assessments, phone calls, duties.... the works. Which is kind of hard in someways, 'cause you're not the same person. If you are lucky, you have time to meet them, work with them, observe them and the other team members for several days. Of course this is usually done all on your part with no pay. But believe me, it is worth it in your weight in gold when it comes to filling in for LTS!!!
    In SC, you must have a qualified, certified teacher in the classroom after the 10th day. PReferably earlier, but I understand in some areas, it is difficult to get people to work for so low a wage even for a short time. And oh yes, they can terminate you at any time with no notification what so ever.

17. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 30, 2006

I am subbing too. I am so bummed out about not getting a teaching job. I am also looking into childcare and TA jobs. I just do not want to end up subbing the rest of my life. I do not know hat is wrong with me. I have several years expereince but I am 52 and I am slightly overweight. I also had to leave my last job in April because my mother was sick. I think with these sitatuions are detrimental to finding a permanent position. I am really really depressed right now. Terry G.

18. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 30, 2006

Teresa i have a question for you, do you think your weight has anything to do with your not being hired? I am slightly overweight too and when I was young and skinny I got every job I applied for, but this time around I am older, in my mid 30's and am overweight and I definately think my wieght played a big factor in me not getting 2 jobs, I am about 30 pounds over weight. Just wondering, i am pretty sure this was a huge factor at a Sylvan I applied at where they were all skinny. I was hired by a lady principal who was overweight.

19. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 30, 2006

It sometimes does play a factor. Employers do not want to have to pay health insurance for overweight employees. I think you should probably try to lose some of the weight. Your age should not be a factor. I was hired at Sylvan but I could not take the job. if a skinny employee has the same wualifications you have they might get the job. I am planning to lose weight. I was using Cortislim a few months ago. and I amplanning to swim every day at the YMCA. Terry G.