To those of you still looking...

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Aliceacc, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

HANG IN THERE!!!

The rush of people posting lately about interviews and offers has to be demoralizing for all of those still looking. But take it as a sign that things are starting to open up... they tend to do so in late July and August.

So keep that interview suit handy and keep the faith!:love:

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 14, 2006

Thank you Aliceacc! My suit and my dressy casual outfit are both ready and waiting for the next interview invitation!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

It will come!!

Just keep sending out those resumes!!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

Alice, that was very nice of you to start this thread. I thought the same thing but didn't do anything.

6. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I agree and also wish those of you still waiting the best of luck and hopefully you will also receive the last minute hiring spree phone call that so many seem to be getting in the last week!

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2006

I got two calls TODAY... so I have 3 next week. Why is it so hard to get a job in Connecticut? I need some serious interview help!

8. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 14, 2006

mrsammieb I found the "lets do some interview practice" thread to be very helpful. I am looking to teach and if I get a job it will be my first year teaching. I went through a lot of the questions and typed my answers to them in word to try and sort out what skills I had and what talents I possess to set me apart. Many answers throughout that thread gave me great ideas in appropriate types of answers. I would not have had great interviews today if I had not done that!

Big thanks to those who participate in that thread!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

Thank you, Alice! I keep finding myself getting discouraged... there are lots of fools out there who aren't calling me because they don't know what a great teacher they're missing out on!!!!!

So I keep checking postings EVERy SINGLE DAY to see what new ones have popped up, and I keep re-submitting my online apps for every district that *does* have an opening... I keep thinking they will get tired of seeing my name and just call me for an interview...

10. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Email principals if possible in addition to applying with the district - and attach your resume. It can help get you noticed!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2006

Make a point of also hitting those that aren't listing any openings too! Who knows what tomorrow will bring? You want your resume already in their hands if an opening does come up!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2006

I received my first permanent job one week after school had started! I am pretty sure that at my school we may be hiring new teachers at some point during the first term--we are in a rapidly growing new subdivision. Never give up hope!

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Yes, Alice... I've applied to every district within the last 2 weeks, even if they don't have anything listed, which is generally a duplicate (they're mostly online ones) of one they've already gotten, which just puts my name back at the top of the list. And then I've gotten every single ones that DO have openings re-submitted AGAIN, almost every day. ;)

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

Just keep sending those resumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may take a while, but we all will find the right job:)

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

Great idea!!!!

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

It's hard here too. We have great schools, as I'm sure CT does too. The teachers who have jobs are not leaving. So, hopefully a big retirement incentive will be given and those of us waiting will get those jobs.:D

17. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

Very good point. And a lot of my teaching friends said that sometimes it isn't what you say in an interview but how much you will cost the district. Which is very sad!! So sometimes it isn't you!

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

Yes, unfortunately, that is a BIG factor...:(

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

Right, we can't take a rejection as a reflection on our character. It is almost always due to other factors.

20. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

But you can't help but do that. When I didn't get a job with the district I just did a one year contract in (the teacher was coming back but they had a 1st grade opening and I was teaching 5th) I was crushed. I seriously thought of quitting. I couldn't help but think I might be successful if I worked for Wal-Mart or became an alcoholic or something. But, after the intital bite, I recovered (without too many drinks either!) As teachers I think sometimes we are just too sensitive anyway. I try to think logically but it doesn't always work.

21. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

Thanks for thinking of us!! It is difficult to keep the faith, but we have to do it.

22. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

You're right. But, sometimes you never know what those factors are, and what you can do to beat the odds. I guess just keep on trying.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2006

I heard a great line on The Learning Channel. It went something like this:

Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity!

24. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 16, 2006

I like that!

25. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 16, 2006

LOVE IT!!!:D

26. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

alice-thanks for the words of encouragement. :) i got some awesome news over the weekend (h.r. direc. in FANTASTIC sch. district is willing to interview me next month), and am trying to keep the momentum going! your words definitely helped! thanks again!!! :) -meri

27. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

Best of luck to you!

I'm getting my second wind as far as applications go.

28. adam devine

adam devine Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

you are great and positive, please tell me how to get in touch with some members here from neveda,i want to find a teaching job there, it would be great if i could talk to some teachers to find out what is the job situation there,i heard it is good.Please let me know if you know any teacher in Neved.Thanks.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2006

This Wed. is my second interview since I graduated w/ my MA & completed a year of ST (stud. tchng.). I sure hope I get this one because I'm pretty picky about what districts I want to work for. I don't want to drive any farther than 35 min. to work & even w/i that distance, there's some districts I don't want.

30. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

It seems that jobs are so scarce right now. I recently had two interviews. The first one I had was for a 6th grade position at a middle school. I called a week later to see if the position had been filled. The principal flat out told me that I'm not suitable to teach middle school. She said she thinks I would be better suited for elementary school, and she told this to the superintendent! I didn't ask why or anything, I just said "thank you" and then hung up, I was too upset. The second job I interviewed for was for a 5th grade team teaching position. I called back on that one, and they only want fully credentialed teachers. In order for me to be fully credentialed, I have to teach for I think two years, so it's kind of a catch 22 type situation. I just emailed the superintendent of the district I student taught in as well as the principal of the school I student taught in. The superintendent (Regina) knows me because she taught one of my credential classes. I let them both know that I was available. Man, I am soooo hoping I get hired! If not, I'm hoping I pass the science CSET so I can teach middle school/high school science, there should be open positions in that field.

31. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully something will come your way that makes a right fit on both ends.

32. adam devine

adam devine Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

hi, my recmmendation is that you should forget about hunting for jobs in california,look for jobs in arizona or las vegas ,there are more jobs and more opportunities.They will give youa three year provsiional teaching certificate based on yoru BA degree and student etaching experience in California.Try it, once you gete stablished teher you can try gettign back into jobs here, but I think california is veyr poltical,it is nto what yoou knwo btu who you knwo that amke steh differnece.I ammoving out to Neveda myself after searching for jobs here for five eyars.Dont ever give up, keep trying.Good luck

33. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 18, 2006

Terrence in what grade/subject did you do you student teaching? And by "fully credentialed" do they mean you need to have more than a preliminary credential? If so, then that's terrible.

Have you taken any of the science CSET? I hear it's pretty rough. (though, not as rough as the math CSET) I just graduated from CSU San Marcos with my credential and someone in my cohort, who was a health science major in college, had a horrible time passing one of the science CSET tests. I plan on taking it at some point, too. If I don't get a job this fall, I'm going to concentrate on passing it so I can get a job teaching science.