To those flipping their classrooms: Where do you host videos?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

I'm going to be using Vimeo for all the videos I'm creating myself. The problem is that I want to use other videos, especially lots of YouTube educational videos. My school filter blocks YouTube, so I don't really know what to do. I don't want to break any copyright laws by posting someone else's video on a more accessible site, obviously. What can I do? Am I just out of luck?

I've tried TeacherTube for videos, but their selection is limited and their website is always soooooo slooooooow.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

Have you tried talking to your school computer techs? I remember at my high school, teachers could request websites be unblocked for certain rooms for certain periods.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

They won't unblock YouTube.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 3, 2012

Convert youtube videos at a converter site then save it on your USB and bring it to school. One example is www.keepvid.com.

It takes maybe 15 seconds to convert. Super easy.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

That's a little ridiculous considering you're trying to be educational, but I understand.

Also caught myself assuming every kid has internet access at home...

hmm...

Can you put them on a flash drive and pass it around? Or put the videos on your laptops manually?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

I'm familiar with KeepVid and use it a lot. My problem is that I don't know how to get a downloaded video to the students. I will either need to load it onto every Macbook in the classroom (which will take a while, especially since I'd like to have several videos each week/lesson for them to watch) or upload it to a site where they can download it themselves (which raises the copyright issue). I've already tried uploading videos to Edmodo but that doesn't seem to be working--the videos are too big and it's taking too long to upload. Am I missing something? Is there an easier or more obvious solution?

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

Yes. Download all the videos to your master laptop/computer, put them in a ZIP file, and then transfer them with a flash drive or a virtual cloud.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Ugh. I think you're right and this might be my only option, but it's not one that I like. We have 32 Macbooks, and I'll have to load videos by hand. The videos will also not be available to students to view at home on their own (which was sort of the point of me getting these sorts of online/techy resources for them in the first place) since they'll be on the school computers.

Sigh. This isn't very easy.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 3, 2012

I don't know at the moment other than if you have access to email the keep vid attachment to each student.

We are supposed to be techie gurus Caesar! :)

11. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

How about Vimeo? Maybe it's not blocked? It tends to have higher quality stuff than YouTube.

Whoops, ignore this. I guess I missed that part of your post. Silly me. :rolleyes:

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

One thing about having students download these video files, as opposed to watching them via streaming media, is that it's going to be a big burden on our server. 32 students all trying to download a 50 megabyte video all at the same time isn't going to be pretty.

Streaming would be my first choice, followed by having the videos directly loaded onto the computers already, followed by students downloading full files on their own. Each of those options has a very big drawback, though. Streaming = No YouTube. On computers already = a lot of work for me. Individual student downloads = lots of bandwidth usage all at once.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

Do you have school provided class sites like Blackboard? You could upload there.

Or use a host like weebly. you may need to pay for extra features, but this isn't expensive.

You can always email the video creator and ask permission. They might even send you the file.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Whoops, I somehow missed this post. It got lost in the shuffle, I guess. :haha:

No, my students don't have reliable internet access at home. My flip is going to be heavily modified, and I need everything available at school. If students can access at home, that's a plus.

I could pass around a flash drive, I suppose. I think that would use up a lot of time, though. I'd have to load the videos manually, which I hate to do but if it's the best option, I'll do it.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

We don't have anything like Blackboard.

Weebly is also blocked. :lol: I have tried getting it unblocked to no avail. That's actually why I use Edmodo. I spent a long time last summer making a killer Weebly page, but then on the second day of school parts of it were no longer accessible.

Vimeo specifically prohibits posting of videos that aren't original even if you have permission. I suspect that other hosting sites have similar language in their terms of service.

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

Weebly is blocked?! What the...

Isn't at least half of weebly education related?

What do they *not* block? To be honest, I wish my district would block YouTube and a dozen other things. Our filters are weird.

Perhaps someone can recommend another low cost host. You could always pop up a password box to prevent access to the reposted videos.

Is there a tech person at your school? Perhaps you could dump this problem in their lap and see what solutions they can think up.

If the video files are small and copy quickly, you could do a sort of daisy chain approach: you copy onto 4 or 5 drives and your students copy to the laptops during their warm-up time. At the end of the time, everybody has their warm up and files copied.

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

Or, haha. How are your detentions? Have an unwilling detainee copy all the files for the week over.

Given how frisky my seniors get second semester, I'd probably have a fresh victim most weeks. (tardies, mostly)

18. thebumm

thebumm New Member

Sep 4, 2012

VPN

Set up a virtual private network. This will free up YouTube and allow private browsing, protect personal information. It also simplifies filesharing. As for copyright, youtube is transferrable free use media if it's for education. Boom down.

19. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 4, 2012

Setting up a VPN to access a blocked website at school sounds like a good way to lose your job.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

Do you have Vision or a similar program? I think you could show it to them all at once through that.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

Are any of them on www.teachertube.com?

If not, could you transfer them there from home?

Or could you load them all onto your own page and have the kids access them from there???

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

Vision is installed on the computers in the lab. On the Macbook carts, however, there isn't anything like that. The Macbooks are completely stand-alone. There's no administrative control whatsoever unless you are physically in possession of the individual Macbook.

There may be a couple of them on TeacherTube, but that site is so prohibitively slow. I tried looking at it last night and it wouldn't even load on my home network, which is super fast. I don't think I can rely on it at school.

If TeacherTube were faster, I wouldn't mind using it. I'm still unsure about whether I'd be legally allowed to post videos there that I didn't create myself, even if it is for educational purposes.

I agree.

Our filters are so bizarre with what they block and what they allow. In the past they used to give a reason for blocking whatever page you were trying to look at; most of the time it said "Blocked: Education Materials". :lol:

There is a tech person at school, but he doesn't have any control over the district filter. I have had success petitioning the district to unblock small pages, but there's no way the district would unblock something big like YouTube. I'll ask him if he has any other ideas. I know he's really swamped this time of year, so it might have to wait a few weeks....

Right now it's looking like manually loading the files onto the Macbooks is my best option. I like your idea of putting the files onto several flashdrives. With some practice, I bet my students could manage to do that fairly efficiently.

Thanks, everyone! (If you have any other ideas, feel free to keep them coming!)

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2012

Rummage around on Richard Byrne's remarkable Free Technology for Teachers blog, http://www.freetech4teachers.com: he's posted several options for dealing with YouTube videos without dealing with YouTube.

How many Macbooks are you needing video on at one time? (Sorry if you've already dealt with this question. I'm a little distracted right now.)

24. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 4, 2012

How is downloading the videos and distributing them via flash drive any less of a copyright violation than uploading them to your website? Is it just a matter of not getting caught as easily?

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

I'd say the flash drive falls into a grey area. Putting them on a website opens up the issue of access/unauthorized distribution instead of just personal educational use.

26. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 4, 2012

I usually grabbed the videos I wanted using Firefox and embedded them into my interactive Powerpoints. That worked really well, because I could keep and organize whatever combination of files I wanted and put them on CD-RW's or flash drives (a large number of our students had no internet access) where they could be accessed on site or taken home if needed. It also let me control the context (both physical and lesson-specific) and accessibility of materials a lot more...including having different versions of lessons for different students, and adjusting the support or expectations regarding products.

It's not as efficient as going the web route (once I had my Joomla site up, I went with that...though I had to tip toe a lot more with copyright), but it works pretty well...and since you can embed a links list in those interactive PowerPoints, you can still point students who have access in the direction of ancillary materials.

27. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 4, 2012

Before you go uploading all that onto each computer... try this!

I have uploaded videos to Youtube and then added the link to my library on Edmodo. Edmodo plays the video directly on their site so it is not blocked, just looks like a pop up video. Youtube is blocked for students at my school and this method worked for me! Try putting a link in your library and see if students can access it! Would save you so much time!

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

I'll check out his blog. Thanks! And I have 32 Macbooks that will all be used at the same time during class.

It might not be any less of a copyright issue. My original plan was to link to the videos (which shouldn't be a copyright issue, as far as I know), but then I ran into problems with the YouTube access. I thought that somehow embedding the videos onto a privately accessible page might make it easier for me, but I can see that yes, it could be a copyright issue.

This is not a bad idea. I'll see if I can make it work.

I honestly hadn't even tried adding them to my Edmodo library because I assumed that they would be blocked. Your idea might work, and it might solve my problem! I'll try it!

Thanks, everyone! I have several ideas to work with right now. I'll play with them and get back to you with an update.

29. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Sep 4, 2012

Yikes. I guess the thought of "copyright" issues didn't dawn on me. Can you not just post the link to the video on Edmodo? That was one of my plans. I'm going to have to finish reading through all the suggestions to see what else is mentioned, but how is posting a link any different than downloading and posting an entire video?

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

I don't think it violates copyright law to post links to videos. I could be wrong, but that seems like something that's okay to do. Downloading and posting an entire video violates the terms of service of most sites. On Vimeo there's something right when you upload that asks you if you created the file you're uploading. If you didn't create it, even if you have permission to repost it, you can't upload it to Vimeo. I'm sure that every website has the same sort of language in their terms of service.

My problem with posting the links on Edmodo is not that it's a copyright issue (because I don't believe that it is). It's that I didn't think that the links would be accessible because the filter would block anything from YouTube. With some new information in this thread, I'm finding that I might be able to work around that issue, so I'm going to try that tomorrow at school.

31. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 4, 2012

If the original author placed the videos on Youtube himself, I don't think it would be a copyright issue either.

32. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 4, 2012

Have you tried TeacherTube?

Nvm, I see that you have. =]

33. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 4, 2012

When I want to use Youtube videos, I use a program to download the video and then put it in a powerpoint or Prezi. The prezi's actually upload them. I don't know what the limit is though. I have enough webspace to generally host videos on for my website because I use my own hosting as well.

34. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 5, 2012

I consulted with our district's lawyers, and was told that I was pretty safe as long as I wasn't hosting anything someplace where public access was possible, and as long as I didn't leave it up long term. It's been a while, and I can't remember the exacts on that. They didn't seem concerned with Youtube or Teachertube videos that I grabbed at all.

I could dig through my e-mail and see. I'm sure I still have the information somewhere...you have to go pretty far down that road to really start to worry, though. I actually contacted a couple of audiobook manufacturers to tell them I'd ripped and spliced segments of their works into interactive PowerPoints to support special needs students, and hey is that like cool with you guys and stuff?

In each case, the response was something like "Thank you for contacting us."

35. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

I use my Google Docs and post the link to my class website.

36. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 6, 2012

Wow, I never realized you could upload videos to Google Docs. And now Edmodo will synch with Google Docs... so this might eliminate the need for Youtube at all! Trying this!

37. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

It's awesome and it's great for the kids too, because they can be private unless they have the link.

38. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

Purchase Apple Remote Desktop for $50.
    Create or use you admin account on each computer to log in remotely when the macbooks are on the school network.
    Push the videos all at once to all 32.
    It uses the server to ul/dl them, but not bandwidth.

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

You still link to the videos on YouTube, though?

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

Do you just pay for Remote Desktop for one computer, or do you have to pay for it for all 32 computers?