To those considering leaving the teaching profession....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Oct 18, 2015.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2015

Something else I think I'd love to do is work in a study abroad office. I live in an area ripe with colleges and universities, I think it'd be great to be able to snag one of those jobs. The problem is I think they want a "global studies" degree. A degree that is, let's be honest, one of those "congrats you graduated" degrees. Having studied abroad, lived abroad, traveled a ton, and worked in very international environments I feel equally or more than qualified as anyone who holds a "global studies" degree. But I'm afraid I would never even get to an interview.

smalltowngal and otterpop like this.
  2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2015

Good for you. Yes, if I could redo it, I might have gotten into this field as well. SLP, the field I later got into is in high demand too though.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2015

You never know until you apply! Make your resume and your cover letter strong and be prepared to "sell" yourself in an interview. I would also try to network as I think a lot of these jobs have to do with who you know.

smalltowngal likes this.
  4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2015

@lucybelle That would be an excellent job I think! I've looked at jobs within group travel companies like EFT and GoAhead in their educational tours department. I will probably start applying for those jobs after this year or when my daughter turns 18 in 7 years. It would require a move from where I currently live now.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2015

I'm in a great, high achieving, high SES district with great colleagues, strong union, enviable pay scale...and yet what we were has gradually been worn away like beachfront property...grain of sand at a time.... My colleagues and my kids and a bit of push back I've earned through the years keeps me going.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2015

I looked briefly into openings about a year ago and as far as I could tell there weren't any. In fact right when I was looking someone had just snagged a "Latin/South American Coordinator" position at a nearby university which I definitely would have applied for! I feel like currently I need to just ride out my job for the next few years since we plan on moving internationally again. Maybe when we get back I can look into it more seriously. I sort of get into these funks where I daydream thinking about other things I could be doing. (I also look up jobs in international schools in random countries- Czech Republic, Argentina, Chile, Switzerland...) If I ever want to actually leave education I need to stop daydreaming and start working towards it!

That sounds like a lot of fun, too!!!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2015

I occasionally will do the same thing. Look up jobs in other cities/countries to see what else I could be doing out there. I'm not as adventurous in the countries I'm looking at, really just in the UK. I'm also looking in the Boston area because that's where a lot of the educational tour group jobs are located, which I wouldn't mind at all!

8. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Nov 6, 2015

Lucybelle, I know someone with almost the exact same educational background as me (B.S., M.Ed in Secondary Ed with foreign language teaching certification) running a study abroad office at my alma mater. I did an informational interview with this person a few years ago as I was interested in hearing about their career path. I encourage you to apply to openings and see what happens! You may start making connections by becoming involved in the international student community at a nearby university and also look into http://www.nafsa.org/