To the interview...

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by stephanie90102, Jun 3, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Jun 3, 2006

Just out of curiosity, what are you all bringing to your interviews? I'm beginning to send stuff out, and hope to get called back for an interview. So, what do you recommend I bring? Stephanie

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 3, 2006

I bring five copies of my resume, paper clipped not stapled. And I bring my teaching portfolio.

4. art teacher

art teacher Rookie

Jun 3, 2006

I agree! Bringing copies of resume is always good. It tells the interview committe that you're prepared!
    I took 4 copies but 5 or even 6 is better! since you don't know how many people to expect in the committee.
    Personally I think teaching portfolio is a must! With photos,
    notes from other teachers, principal you worked with, etc.
    Something extra might make you stand out, maybe a short video presentation of your student teaching experience, evaluations you have received with important words highlighted!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 3, 2006

Oh don't forget to bring three or four questions to ask them.

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I would bring a portfolio if you have one. In mine I had some of my favorite lessons that I had previously taught with pictures. Most interview teams do not have time to read your whole portfolio, but they can easily and quickly see the pictures! Also, if you can make a smaller version of your portfolio that you can leave with the team, that would be great. They may have time later to take a closer look at it.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 3, 2006

I stress again with portfolios... don't just expect them to ask for it. You have to find a way to work the things in it into your answers whenever possible... when I get asked about how I integrate learning, I open my portfolio and show pictures from the unit I taught when student teaching.

My most recent interview was the first time in 3 years of interviewing that someone actually ASKED to see it.

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 3, 2006

I think they (portfolios) are a great way to supplement or prove what you are telling the interview team. For me, my portfolio made me less nervous. It was almost like a tool that helped me know what to say.

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 3, 2006

I have always brought my teaching portfolio. I also brought copies of my resume and letters of recommendation. I have had some schools ask for a copy of the sample lessons that I brought so that may be something you may want to bring. I have had one principal go through my whole portfolio, whereas, the school where I was hired at, I never brought out anything from my portfolio. The school already had a copy of my resume and letters of recommendations.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 4, 2006

I had one principal look go through my whole portfolio to. And she didn't hire me. But she happened to have been my fifth grade teacher LOL.
    I have had two other principals ask to see it. One they did hire me and the other was the one I am waiting to hear back from.