To Tell or Not to Tell

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heatherberm, Nov 19, 2016.

1. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 19, 2016

As I've mentioned in a couple of different threads, I recently left a job in one district to start a job in another district. At my former district, administration made the decision that I would not tell my students I was leaving. They left Friday believing I was their teacher and came in on Monday to discover that I wasn't. (And from what a couple of friends there have said, for many of them, it was a huge issue.) I didn't get this decision at all. I thought it was really unfair to put the kids in that situation and to not let either side put some kind of closure on the relationshp. I was curious if any of you have either left during a school year or had co-workers leave during the school year and how it was handled with the students. I completed an exit survey with the district, but I did it when I first put in my 30 day's notice so the conversation about not telling the kids hadn't happened yet. I was thinking about emailing HR to add some thoughts about this, but I was curious about other's experiences because maybe I'm naive and this is how every district handles these things.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 19, 2016

I left a position mid-year once. I did not tell my students (I accepted the job over a break anyway), but I did leave a letter in the classroom for my students. Of course, I have no idea what happened to the letter.

My students, unfortunately, were pretty used to having teachers leave mid-year. It was not a good school, which is why I left. But, I still felt bad for leaving them. You have to take care of you first though!

If you think that the district might care, you could email HR. Otherwise, just leave it in your past.

4. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 19, 2016

Thanks, guys. It honestly hadn't even crossed my mind that we wouldn't tell the kids at some point so I think I was just taken aback. This is only the second education-related job I've left though so I guess it just hasn't come up much. I think I'll just let it go then.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 19, 2016

To quote a great modern philosopher...
    Let it go, let it go
    Turn away and slam the door
    I don't care
    what they're going to say
    Let the storm rage on.
    The cold never bothered me anyway

Whether it was a good decision or a bad decision, you have to just let it go. It's not your decision to make, you can't change it, and the aftermath with the kids isn't your problem. Just look forward and do the best job you possibly can with your new kiddos.

miss-m and otterpop like this.
  6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 20, 2016

I just sang that in my head.