To Tear or Not to Tear: Workbook Question!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2007

Hello! :love:

There may be another thread on this ~ so my apologies in advance if there is!

Anyways!

I am a grade one teacher and we are about to switch to our volume 2 practice workbook for reading/phonics. For volume 1 ~ I allowed the kids to tear out their own pages. This was rather difficult at first ~ as when I said "Ok, please turn to page 75" some were on page 57, some were staring into space, and some had out their math workbook (on page 57!!) and were beginning to tear it out! :)

I realize it helps teach responsibility and LISTENING SKILLS to the kids when we have them find their correct workbook and get to the correct page ~ but I do find it a little bit of a waste of time.

I have a classroom of 28 1st graders ~ and it's very time consuming to walk around the classroom and make sure that each kid is on the correct page.

At the end of the book are "End of Story Selection Tests." They're also very difficult for the kids to locate.

Does anyone think it would be hindering their readiness for grade two if I pre-pulled their worksheets for them?

Let me know! Thanks so much!

:love:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

Sometimes as teacher we need to do things just to make it a little easier on us. And you would have more teaching time if you had the pages pulled out already.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2007

I agree with Jaime.... pull the pages out before.

5. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2007

I have a mom that comes in about once a month and tears out the pages for both the math practice book and our reading practice books. I know that they can do it on their own but why waste the time in class doing it? It is just easier for me to do this. I never had a second grade teacher come to me and say that it hindered them for second grade.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 20, 2007

I've done both. For 2 years I had my dad use a ban saw to saw off the spine of the workbooks. I then sorted out the pages and put them into file folders. It was time consuming at the beginning of the year but worth it. This year I decided to let the kids "try" to tear them out for a year. I wish I hadn't. It takes to much time, and I'm forever taping rips on papers. Some listen to instructions on how to tear it out, but the same ones rip them everyday. Next year I will go back to presorting them. It was so much easier.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2007

Our students are still having a hard time finding the right page (1st). Maybe you can do both. Some days pull the worksheets, and on days when it is mostly review, let them do the listening/pulling for themselves.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 20, 2007

The one thing I do like about them having their books is that I don't have to pass anything out. It's also nice to have those extra sheets in there that I don't teach lessons on (supplements to other lessons). They can work on those when they need extra practice or if they are an early finisher. I wish I could find a happy medium.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2007

I think that it would be hindering their readiness for grade 2 if you pulled the pages out for them. I've never pulled out pages for my students prior to doing a lesson.

If the pages have some sort of visual imagery - and in first grade I would hope they do - then show them the page they need to go to and many will find it based on the picture.

Moreover, identifying and naming numbers is an important math skill.

I will often say "raise your hand if the kid next to you is on the right page" Then I can go directly to the kids who don't have the right page or usually, the kid next to them will have already helped them.

As far as tearing pages, that is often beyond the fine motor skills that some of them possess at that age, and there's not much you can do about that.

Another thing, if you go into their workbooks and tear out the pages they've already done (great job for a parent helper or upper grade student at lunchtime), then finding the right page will be easier because when you write "Page 71" on the board, kids won't turn to page 17 because their book won't have page 17.

Another thing I do is dot their books. In open court, the Phonics Skills book and the Comprehension book are both orange and have frogs on the cover.:confused: So I put a red dot on the side of one and a green dot on the side of the other. They know them as their "red dot book" and their "green dot book."

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 20, 2007

I have seen teachers have the kids leave bookmarks in their workbook pages so they know where to go the next day. Also, I have seen several people use the sticky "flags" and at the end of the lesson they move the tab to the next page, ready to go for the next day.

11. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jan 20, 2007

i teach first and i find it important for kids to find their own pages....at semester there are still a few that struggle but i have them seated by someone that could help them if it is a problem or i seat them towards the front of the room so i can just glance and see then ask another student to help.
    there are sometimes that i find the page for them but i usually help them through it.....think of it this way. it is math....ordering....problem solving...listening skills....and responsibility....so truly you are teaching even in the lull of finding a page.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2007

I teach kindergarten Open court and one of the teachers do this too. I tore them out but that's because I teach kindergarten and I really did not want to deal with this. But, this one kindergarten teacher, she not only had the red dot and green dot, but they also used a bookmarker. They didn't tear out the pages until the unit was over. So, there's some ideas for you all.