To Teach Routine??? or Not??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrsstarz, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Mrsstarz

Mrsstarz Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

Hello all!! This is my first year teaching. As a student teacher I saw my cooperating teacher teach procedure & routine like mad the first few days--as I plan to do. However when I was talking with the other team members as my new school, they spend the first day doing activities with some procedures. I think that routines are very important. Should I follow suit or do what I was planning--teaching routines and procedures?

Thanks.

3. heathers

heathers Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

what grade do you teach? i'm new to 4th this year and planned on doing lots with rules/procedures, but with some activity too. did your cooperating teacher just do rules on the first few days with absolutely no activities?

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 1, 2006

I spent the first week of school mainly focusing on procedures and routines and rules. I modeled it, we practiced it, they rated each other, etc. We did a few other activities throughout the day, which gave me a chance to teach more procedures :p The second week of school, I started instruction, but still left an hour a day to review procedures and routines. Now, my kids now what's expected and they meet my expectations. I have no behavior problems in my class and my students thoroughly understand the routines and procedures for our classroom. Hence, I don't have to spend time on classroom management.

The teachers who didn't spend much time on these can be heard yelling when you walk past their classrooms. And now, my children stare in disbelief when they see other children who don't know how to behave. I hope this helps :)

5. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Sep 1, 2006

I teach procedures and do some simple activities as well. The activities allow you to practice those routines.

6. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Sep 1, 2006

At our school, we are required to teach procedures for the first few weeks over and over until it is "routine" behavior. I went over procedures incorporating lots of activities that build community in the classroom the first three days of school. Now, after a week it is becoming routine for the students and we are focusing on curriculum. I would do what you feel is comfortable for you in the classsroom. In my opinion, the procedures that are taught the first weeks of school set the tone of how the rest of the year will be for you. I go over every procedure imaginable the first few days so there is no "gray" area for the students. We practice and practice until we get it right. If you want it done in your classroom students need to know the right procedure.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2006

I do activities....a whole day of routine with out meaning seems boring and pointless. Why practice getting pencils from the shelf if you can't use them?? I am planning on spending a lot of time w/ routine but have lots of 'lessons' (prob way more than I need) for the day....teach the routine w the lesson.....

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 1, 2006

I combine both procedures and getting to know you activities. My students are quite well-behaved as a result... not always perfect, but nobody is causing me a great deal of pain and we get many compliments from others. I don't teach academics until sometime the second week, not even the beginning.

9. Mrsstarz

Mrsstarz Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

My cooperating teacher did the procedures / routines with activities, but the place where I was hired--well they want to get started right away with the curriculum & not focusing on the procedures. My class last year had minimal problems, teachers would stop in & ask what I did to make them quiet and stay on task--- I am just thinking that they think I am trying to reinvent the wheel. I will be teaching 4th grade this year.

10. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Sep 1, 2006

11. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 2, 2006

I just got done with the second full week of school and I am still reinforcing routine. The kids just about at the point where I can see we are going to work together like a well oiled machine. It takes time to get to that point. I have been teaching curriculum as well..but it has been peppered with constant routine reinforcement. Now we will be able to let loose on curriculum. Does that mean I won't have to remind students of procedures and expectations???...no...but it is just that...a reminder...they already know it.