To teach or not to teach?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach2heart, Nov 19, 2007.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Nov 19, 2007

I am having a very difficult time deciding what to do! I have only taught one year, and at that it wasn't even a full year (long-term sub position). It was a VERY challenging year and needless to say I left the position early. I have now received a call to interview for a part-time elementary position. In the meantime I have applied for various other jobs to get in the door with a great company in the area. I have an interview with them for an entry-level position with the idea that I would eventually like to move into HR. Now I don't know what to do! Should I go to both interviews and see how I feel afterwards? If I take the office job and several years from now decide I feel ready for teaching would it be really difficult to get back into the field? Help! Thank you :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2007

I would go to both interviews and see which one gives you the best feeling. I know it can be hard knowing exactly what to do when faced with a situation like this. You want to do something that you enjoy, but you don't want to feel like your wasting your degree. That's why I have not applied anywhere outside of education. If you do take the office job, it will be difficult down the road to get back into education. Interviewers will want to know why.

My dad has a bachelors degree in finance. In 30 years, he has not used his degree once. Now he is in his 60s and working outside as a surveyor.