To teach or not to teach...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CDOR79, Jun 14, 2007.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

...that is the question!

I need some advice from teachers out there, so please help me out! I am a certified teacher for grades K-5. I completed my student teaching and received my degree about 2 years ago, but still have yet to teach. I didn't have such a great student teaching experience and I ran into some problems. Those problems were partly due to my own faults and partly to do with me not getting along with my cooperating teacher. To say the least, these problems gave me a sour taste about teaching all together and caused me to lose every ounce of confidence I had in myself.

Now, 2 years later, I still fight myself with the idea to GIVE IT A TRY. I feel like I owe it to myself to do so and if I don't, I'll never know how I would have done as a teacher. Part of me gets excited at the thought of teaching while the other gets intimidated by all the the work and preparation teaching requires, and SCARED that I will fail as a teacher.

I guess my question is for not only your opinion, but also to ask how different you would say student teaching is compared to being a first year teacher. Is it just a matter of getting yourself adjusted and getting yourself into a routine, or does it always feel so overwhelming? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

3. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I had a not so great coop teacher also...maybe we had the same one!?! When you start teaching on your own it's different. Although I don't have my own classroom yet, but have done ML. I think you need the passion to go you through the rough spots, but it does get easier. Are you looking in NJ at the moment?

4. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 14, 2007

Ok... where are you guys! Student teach in 2nd grade? Miserable experience for me!

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I would say give it a try. See how it goes for a couple years and if you don't like it...it's not like you're stuck!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2007

You have to try.... if you don't you will always have regrets.

In the two years since your terrible experience... how have you grown? I'm assuming you are older and wiser. Now that you have hindisght, what things ( and you don't have to share) would you have done differently?

So many of us, are young and naive when student teaching. We think it's going to be all hearts and flowers, and then we realize there is so much we need to learn that they didn't teach us in school.

It's ok to be scared. Teaching is not easy. If it is- you are doing something wrong.

The best thing you can do is get a handle on behavior and management. I can't tell you how important that is. If you'd prefer to stick to the teacher's guides your first year- DO IT! There is nothing wrong with that. Each year you will feel more confident and you can branch out and try new things.

My best advice is- Try, Plan, Plan some more and be prepared to make a few mistakes. You are not a failure if you do. This is how we learn.

It really breaks my heart to hear your story, because, this is how I felt after a very long year almost ten years ago. Confidence is hard to get, but so easy to lose. Don't let it ruin you!

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

That's great advice Miss Frizzle and everyone else. Thank you! I appreciate it!

I do feel like I've grown since then and I definitely know what I should have done differently when I student taught. I should have APPLIED myself more. My head wasn't in it like it should have been, especially when there was so much work to be done (which totally took me by surprise too!). By the time I "caught up" with everything and began to try my best, my CT was already fed up and on my case about everything. That made it even harder because I was genuinely TRYING but yet it was like I kept getting shot down. That's when we started really bumping heads.

I, too agree to try it or else I will have regrets. I KNOW that's what will happen. It's just a bad time because I just got engaged and now I have a wedding to plan, a house to buy and all that stressful, but good stuff! I'm concerned with trying to juggle everything at once, and not to mention have to take a cut in salary. There has been an IDEAL teaching opportunity offered to me at a private school that I absolutely love. If I took it, I'd be
    taking about an $8K/year cut. I'm so torn!! My fiance' and I need every dollar we can get, but yet he is 100% supportive of me if I should decide to teach. It's just a rough time and I'm wondering if I should jump on the chance now, or wait until later (after I have kids) to try and get into teaching...which might not even happen! Who knows where/what I'll be doing in 10-12 years.

Sorry for the rant! I just want to give all the details. Again- any advice would be awesome! You guys are great!

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2007

If you have the opportunity, take it... jobs are hard to come by. You can at least say you have experience. Beleive me, that's what they want.

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Take it

It sounds to me that you really want to take this position. Try it for a year and you will know if teaching is really for you. I'm not sure what you would be doing instead of teaching but it sounded like you would be making more money at it. Miss Frizzle is right, jobs are hard to come by and if you let this go, there might not be another...and then again, there might be another one too.

My opinion is to go for it. Once you have kids, that changes a lot of things.

10. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

My first year in 8th grade L.A. was hiddeous. I didn't have the benefit of an internship....had on the job training! I felt like I was thrown in with the sharks. But, I did have the friendship of some very dedicated veterans who saw something in me to keep prodding me on. I love teaching and would never, ever, ever leave it. I may try different grades and have from 5-8 at this point. But, it's absolutely wonderful to inspire a person to love what they do (from learning to applying) - Do it!

11. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I would say go with whatever your heart says, and dont let fear get in the way. A lot of people have miserable student teaching experiences and rise above it all. Don't let the past get in the way of your future. I know it's hard to take a pay cut, esp in NJ, but if you have that offer, I say do it. If you get a good feeling from this school and the staff, I think you'll do well and they'll be on your side.

Good luck!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

Teaching jobs in the tri-state area, particularly in elementary ed, are impossible to find.

I say take this job now while it's offered.

If you hate it, at least you'lll know. But I suspect that, like the rest of us, you'll love it and never look back.

13. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

You've gotten a lot of great advice already, but I'll just add that I also think you should take the position offered to you. I know money is important, but happiness is more important. If you don't ever try again with teaching, you may regret it and that feeling can stay with you for years. If you take the position and hate it, at least you will know for certain that it's not the right thing for you instead of always wondering. Good luck with your decision! And congrats on your upcoming wedding!! I know what it's like to teach my first year, plan for my wedding and buy a house - all at once!

14. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Take it! I also know what it's like to be a first year teacher who got engaged, bought a house, planned for a wedding, and got married. Yes, it takes a lot of work, but it is possible! :)

15. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

Isn't it funny how we do all of those MAJOR things at once? At least when I got frustrated or stressed at school, I could look forward to shopping for my dress or picking out flowers for my wedding!

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

That's one way of looking at it.

17. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

It IS crazy. Believe it or not, I found out about this position on the SAME day I got engaged! It happened all at once. It was like a sign that everything in my life will be taking a different turn now and going in a new direction. If I did decide on taking it, I just don't know how I'm going to do everything at once. Everyone says planning a wedding is stressful enough as it is...to think I'd have so much work to do with teaching now..it's just overwhelming!

I agree with everyone's input and again- I appreciate it! Everyone is great on these boards! :)

18. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

19. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

Thanks to everyone for the responses. You all basically say the same thing...TAKE IT! lol. All I keep thinking too is that if I don't try this now, when will I get to? Who knows what my situation will be like in 10 years...especially with kids. I think that would make it even more difficult. I just have to think long and hard, but have to give an answer soon!

Does anyone have any good ideas for making extra money in the summer? Other than teaching summer school of course. I think if this salary wasn't as much of an issue, I'd be much less indecisive.

Thanks again all! ;)

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2007

You may be forced to work weekends.... think retail....