To teach or not to teach K...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by PreKyay, May 4, 2009.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

May 4, 2009

If this needs to be moved to the "Substitute" forum, please do...

I thought I would ask the opinion of some seasoned K teachers about my troubles in subbing in K. I have not consistently subbed in any kindergarten classes -- probably 4 or 5 times this past semester. I know K is a tough year-- don't get me wrong. There are so many dynamics going on (in any classroom, for that matter) and it's just tough period subbing anywhere. But today was the day from hell! I could not gain control of this class and I tried everything. It seemed there were a handful of kids who could follow procedures and keep their hands off each other. I've had problems in other K classes, but this took the cake. And it's the end of the year!

Is this normal for K at the end of the year? Am I just a bad sub? Or am I just not cut out for K? Maybe I just need to work on classroom management. I have not had these problems so much in the upper grades...

3. kteachone

kteachone Companion

May 4, 2009

It's normal. They have spring fever and just need to be outside away from each other. Keep reinforcing the rules and stay consistent. The year is almost over!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 4, 2009

My own students were not great today. Once you have your own classroom it is easier b/c you can start from the beginning of the school year. The kids like consistency!

5. janney

janney Cohort

May 4, 2009

:hugs:You're not in the Houston area are you? Sounds like you could have been in my class today...they can be a handful.

6. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 7, 2009

K can be tough, but they need constant structure and boundaries. I think the most important thing Kindies learn is HOW to be a student in school. It doesn't have to be wild and difficult, but ti's tough. It takes a special personality and teacher to really manage 5 year olds. What's the saying?

It's like herding cats. [​IMG]

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 7, 2009

I love that herding cats video-my principal showed it in the beginning of the year at a staff meeting! :D

But, yes, my kids have their days lately, too. They are just very comfortable with one-another and are ready for a break. I take them out for an extra recess whenever we have an extra 15 or 20 minutes. It helpes a lot!