To sum it all up....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, May 24, 2010.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 24, 2010

Went to the interview and the principal liked me a lot. We got along very well and she commented how much experience I had and how well credentialed I was etc...After 25 mins she decided she'd like to send me on over to HR to have me fill out paperwork for them to do references, transcripts, and a background check since all that had to be done before we could really discuss a contract. She called over to HR to let them know she was sending me and they asked for my name and then my certificate #. Apparently, up to then no one had even checked out my certificate. Once they ran it and found out I only had a non-renewable status, the county then said they refused to even consider me for hire. They said they do not take non-renew candidates, as it is too much trouble to deal with having to place me with a mentor etc. So, all the principal could do was hand me back my letters of recommendation, references, etc and tell me sorry. HR said it was a county policy and there are no exceptions....the principal says there is nothing she can do.

I don't even know what to say really. I cried all the way home.I feel completely let down. I have met all qualifications to convert to a clear, renewable except being able to get a full time teaching position and to be able to teach in that position for the year. : (

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 24, 2010

OMG! This broke my heart while reading it. I don't even know what to say.

4. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 24, 2010

:(

I'm so sorry - I don't know what to say. You're in my thoughts.

Least you're here among friends. Someone has to have an idea.

Again, I'm so sorry.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 24, 2010

I don't understand what a nonrenewable certificate means. It sounds terrible. Please explain. I feel for you so much. The job was yours. How unfair. I wish I could give you a big hug. And I would have cried all the way home too. You deserve a cry sweetie, to be so close and then have it all yanked away from you. PM me if you want to talk about it in private. I care. :(:(:(:hugs::hugs::hugs:

6. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 24, 2010

How terrible. I've been in situations before when it looks like a very good chance you're gonna get the job, only to see it fall through.

You have my heartfelt sympathy...:sorry:

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 24, 2010

SCTeachInTx......It's a step below a clear, renewable certificate. My state refused to issue me a clear, renewable because my M.Ed is from an out of state college. They claimed I needed to jump through even more hoops since I did not complete a teacher program in the Univ System of Ga. So, I am certified in my field (or two fields in my case) but am not considered "Highly Qualified" but just certified. My certificate is good for 5 years and I can convert it over anytime in those 5 years. I had to take an extra content exam in my fields, which I did and passed, and I had to take 5PLU credits through the credentialing board. (which I have completed as well) My last stone to turn over to convert over to a HQ, clear renewable was to secure a full time classroom job for a year and I would be issued a mentor teacher from RESA to observe my performance for that one year. At the end of the year, my certificate wold convert over and that would be that.

I think what hurt me even more was the way the HR lady talked, as if I wasn't worth her time to even speak as she snubbed her nose at me. I just wish someone had run my certificate # before I got there and went thru the entire interview.

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 24, 2010

I'm so sorry!

9. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 24, 2010

It kinda sounds a lot like the probationary certification here in Texas (except I'm considered HQ).

I have to teach two consecutive semesters in the same school for one year, and then I need recommendations from several people (program coordinator, university supervisor, and principal) after the year is up to convert to a standard certification.

I will have an appointed mentor during the year and a university supervisor I have to report to.

I don't think it is too much trouble for the mentor teacher though -- theoretically they can not help me for the entire year and still fulfill their duties, just as long as they submit the proper paperwork.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 24, 2010

So... are you saying that if I moved to Atlanta that I would have a nonrenewable certificate because I am currently licensed in two different states and graduated from a College in a state other than Georgia? Or is this because you did not get an undergrad degree in Education? This is confusing! I thought Texas made me jump through some hoops by making me take their state test and look over my certification in SC. This just seems so unfair. I would def send the THANK YOU note that Alice suggested and go to the next interview and let them know your situation towards the end of it so there are no surprises. I mean really, how hard would it be to have another teacher mentor you for a freakin' year! I know the P's hands are tied, but it is not like you have leprosy! :mad::dizzy:

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 24, 2010

You would be fine I would think. GA gave me a hard time since my undergrad was not in Ed and saying IF I had taken the Virginia State exams (Praxis) since my degree came from a college in VA then I would have been able to apply for immediate reciprocity. The college never told me there was any issue with me graduating and then sitting for exams in GA and the hundreds of calls I made to Ga PSC over the year of my M.Ed program they assured me there would be no problem. imagine my surprise when I got a NNT certificate in the mail after graduation! It is similar to provisional status, but a step above since Ga also has a provisional status license they can issue in lieu of a certificate. and YES...it's all very confusing and infuriating! With the private school, it should not be an issue since they can make their own rules and do even have to require teachers to be certified though almost all of them do have certified teachers. The mentor teacher wasn't even going to have to be someone in the school. RESA has an entire team that take on teachers like myself for the one year of supervision and they come out and do observations and meetings with me during the year. Heck...I even have to pay, out of my own pocket, a whopping $3500 to have the mentor for the year so it was not even an issue that this county would have had to deal with at all! :down:

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 24, 2010

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I still think the County policy sticks, but I am hoping that the next interview will be a successful one with a job offer at the end and NO wait time!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 24, 2010

I'm so sorry.

14. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 24, 2010

That really stinks. You still have the interview with the private school, right?

15. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 24, 2010

If I ever hear back from the principal! I'm sitting on pins and needles here since I emailed him back immediately this morning and have not heard a word since. :whistle: It's for a Christian school. My undergrad is in religion and my M.Ed in ECE. I have been Director of Christian Ed for four years and all my teaching experience has been in Christian schools thus far, so I am hoping all of this will help me if I can land a time for this interview. It's a tiny school though, so I have no idea what to expect pay wise or what they may be thinking in terms of part or full time. Trying not to get my hopes up at all I guess.

16. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

May 24, 2010

OMG! I am so sorry! Since you have to pay for the RSEA can you take the initiative to find one yourself. Perhaps then when you go into this next interview you are showing him/her you are really committed.

I hope things go better with the Christian School! Sending good thoughts your way!

17. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 24, 2010

I did inquire about that, but RESA can not even allow you to fill out paperwork for the mentor program without a signed contract which seems silly since I have to pay for it anyway!

18. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

May 24, 2010

WOW! I can't believe the situation your in. If anything... I would contact the ED departments at the schools you went to and COMPLAIN!!! Perhaps they might be able to help you (might be a long shot, but a shot is a shot).