To Sub or not to Sub?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mckbearcat48, Jul 16, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

I have been running into an interesting dilemma this summer: do I sub at districts that rejected me as a full-time teacher? Obviously I didn't interest them enough for full time work, but they are asking me to cover classrooms for them.

Anybody have this situation happen? I have one shot on Monday to put subbing behind me, so all isn't lost...it just feels that way.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 16, 2016

When I first started teaching I interviewed at this one school and didn't get the job. I also didn't get picked up for a full time position in the city system but was guaranteed to be a building sub (wherever they chose) for 3 months when the school year started. They assigned me to that school and I felt like such a chump. I even met the person they hired over me. Thankfully it was a teacher PD day and I had a last minute job fair that afternoon to attend and scored a position at finally.

So yeah it definitely hurts and lowers your self esteem as I have been there. But at the end of the day (and years later) I wouldn't take it personal and I know that's extremely hard to do when you keep getting passed over for jobs. What hurts more is when you're a TA at a school and they don't hire you to be a teacher but ask you to come back as a TA. I see this different than being a sub, not getting a job and being asked to still sub.

However it's up to you. Do you feel comfortable going back as a sub? Do you need the money? Will subbing at this district eventually help you land a position there?

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

Thankfully money isn't an issue (I saved some law money). I don't feel comfortable as a sub, but I don't get the choice to be happy since I'm not a full-time teacher. I am not sure on the full-time prospects in that district...but I know that not subbing is more dangerous to my resume than subbing since gaps in a resume are very bad.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 16, 2016

I would sub. So many districts hire from their sub pool. It's a great way to let them see you in action. It will also help you decide which buildings in a district you would actually want to work in if offered a full-time position. Daily subbing is also one of the ways to get LTS positions.

Bunnie likes this.
  6. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 19, 2016

I have subbed in schools where I didn't get hired. However it was really hard on me this year when I subbed. I subbed 1/2 day & cried all the rest of the day because there were like 8 teachers hired @ the school & they were all brand new teachers in their 20s. I was so upset that I have never even gotten an interview at that school, but have subbed 4 yrs there & did my student teaching there.

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

It is a nice punch to the gut when you see new teachers and think..."What the hell did I do wrong where they got the job over me?"

8. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 19, 2016

yep...I wish mom experience would count for something. Interview my kids & see they aren't screwed up (yet) and have that count for life experience that I can handle kids - ha.
    My niece just got a job straight out of college...she's almost 22. UGH!!!!!

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

I think most teachers have been in your position...don't be so hard on yourself. If you go back to subbing, look at the positive--you can learn more about the school and you can get observed by admin. Can you sub in a variety of districts? I subbed in about 6 even though I was mostly in 2 or 3 of them. I did this for experience and to get my name out. Good luck.

10. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

I'm sorry to hear this. I would not waste another day in this district.

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

11 districts last year. I'm signed up for 7 this year (2 were districts that didn't want me as a real teacher). Hoping something comes up, but who knows?

12. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

Maybe focus of the bigger school districts---since they usually have more openings over time.

13. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

Finished up submitting sub paperwork for this year. That...wasn't much fun.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2016

Are there any para positions available? I've known of four paras who were working on their certification while working as an aide and were snapped up the moment they were certified. Most of the subs in the districts I've worked in are either not certified or retired teachers so hiring subs is not something I'm familiar with.

15. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

This year, districts around me have gone to the "integrated interview". What that means is that not only do you interview for a full-time position, you are also being evaluated as a possible substitute teacher as well. Then, they really don't have to reject anyone since they can offer anyone a sub position even if they don't want them as a real teacher. I didn't think the practice was as prevalent as it is, but it seems to be efficient for districts to cull potential subs out of their failed candidates. That way, they can fill their staffing needs for actual teachers and still have some people left to substitute. I know some districts still do interviews for substitute positions on their own, but those seem to be going away in favor of offering sub positions to candidates that don't get FT jobs.

16. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 20, 2016

That has been more of the focus of late. I've been looking at districts that have much larger enrollments (2000+) lately, even sending "think of me" packages to schools without openings currently.