To Stay or To Go

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Jan 20, 2018.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2018

No, this is not another "I want to leave education!" thread. I'm trying to decide if I should leave the country and start all over in a new school.

I love where I work. I have great coworkers, the administration is supportive, the students are held to high standards, and I am allowed to be "me" in my classroom (my hair is blue right now). It's great. This is my third year in this school and I've become comfortable with the content. I now have enough time to really dig my heels in and come up with some awesome things for the kids to do. And I have. I have some really cool projects in the works. I'm still excited about teaching and innovating, and it's been so easy for me to do now that most of my resources are made. This is by far the best school I've worked at, and I've worked at four schools.

But I badly want to move to a new country and learn another language. This would not be something new, I used to live abroad. When we moved back to the USA, I always figured it would be a temporary thing. And now that we've been here four years I'm feeling antsy again. I've looked up some schools in potential locations and this morning I revamped my resume. I feel like this is what I've always wanted, yet at the same time I'm already thinking about how good I have it where I am. Moving abroad would be conditional on my husband figuring out something with his job. But I think it could be do-able, especially if we tell them it's only temporary- 2 years.

I know I'm the only one who can answer this question. But does anyone have some input?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2018

Rockhubby and I have talked several times about the idea of relocating to Canada, possibly Ottawa, sometime after I finish my principal's license (I'm almost finished). It's a tempting idea! My biggest worry would be finding work as an English teacher when I have an out-of-country license and don't spell using Queen's English. If that isn't your concern, why not make more concrete plans?

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 20, 2018

Some people have wanderlust, some do not. It is neither right or wrong, it just is what it is. If you can give up the security that you have without a problem, then I would say "Enjoy your adventure." I suspect that this may be partly based on your current age. You have the desire, energy, and appreciation to explore and participate in different cultures first hand. Few of us do - the "what if's" get in the way. I have no idea if this is something you should do, or not, but I admire your serious consideration and research into how you might be able to make this happen. Bravo!!

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jan 20, 2018

catnfiddle, I'm curious about your plans to relocate to Canada. How far in the process are you?

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2018

Well, you guys talked me into it. I applied to four schools today. We'll see where it goes from here. If nothing works out, I still have my fabulous school where I work now. :)

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 20, 2018

Can't wait to hear what transpires!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2018

I'm really NOT, since it'll be the middle of 2019 before I'm done my coursework.

10. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jan 20, 2018

What does finished your coursework mean? Your admin coursework? I'm just curious how that applies (in a real person's life - as opposed to the trends we are told about) to getting a license/ admin licence, onto a supply list, an actual job (with Reg 274 in effect), etc in Ontario.

This is the College's most recent report: https://www.oct.ca/-/media/PDF/2016 Transition to Teaching study/2016t2tmainreporten.pdf.

It seems overly optimistic to me. There is a new 2 year program that is the new requirement so there is a drop (temporarily) as new teachers required 2 years in their BEd but I think this anticipated shortage is overstated.

Currently, most teachers with about 8-10 years experience still do not have stable employment year to year so I really don't see this shortage (plus there are thousands of teachers who have given up on finding a job who will likely re-emerge in the market if it gets better.)

The admin market isn't required to follow Reg 274 so being able to apply is defiantly more open once you've cleared the hoops for licensing. Each region has 2 districts (Public/Catholic) so Catholic teachers have double the chances of landing a position. Some of the public boards add to their pool of candidates annually, some only open their pools every few years - just depends on need.