To Stay or Say Cya!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherBug08, Mar 27, 2014.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 27, 2014

Please help me out and give me your personal opinion. I know I am the only one that can truly make this decision, but I would love some input/advice. Should I stay at this school:
    Pros:
    - School is very rough, but I do enjoy it. I feel like when you can reach those tough kids it is simply an amazing feeling.
    - Staff is wonderful.
    - I have two very close friends that I work with.
    - I love the age group I teach
    - Since my school is inner city- I could have a big portion of my loans forgiven
    - The income is great!
    Cons:
    - There is extreme, extreme behavior at times at my school (many teachers have to do room clear outs)and sometimes it is just plain exhausting.
    - Lacks parent support
    - The three other teachers I work with in my grade level team can be very unorganized, but are always helpful and laid-back.
    - My principal likes me a lot and I like him too, but sometimes is inconsistent. (He is also new to being a principal though).

What would you lean towards doing if you were in my spot? Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2014

Other than extreme behavior problems your cons don't seem so bad to me.
    Good luck in your decision.

4. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 27, 2014

Yes, you are right they are not that bad. The other school district I am looking at (also have an "in" at) would be higher pay, wouldn't have such extreme behavior, and a 5 minute drive. However, it is the not the grade level I really want (not horrible though). Also, I feel very comfortable at my school and I am just nervous to go somewhere else with a different staff/administration. I have heard good things about the staff/administration at this other district. I am really scared I am going to look back on this decision in my life and regret it. :/ I really just don't know what to do.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 27, 2014

How do you feel about dealing with the extreme behavior?

I know you have it as a con, but is it a con because it is negative behavior or you truly despise having to deal with it?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2014

It never hurts to look. See what is out there and if you get an interview, or even an offer, compare what you know about the schools.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2014

Your first Pro says you enjoy your school. IMO, if you find a work environment you enjoy - stay. I'm sure if the Cons were so bad, you wouldn't enjoy where you work. The grass may not be greener especially if you transfer within your inner-city district and you end up at a school that is worse than your current one.

I work in a similar environment (I'm assuming here) and I do not enjoy the behavior problems, disrespect or general chaos. I would never say I enjoy my school. So, based on what you wrote, you don't sound very unhappy.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2014

If Admin likes you, you have 90% of the war won. When Admin blatantly doesn't like you, the battle is pretty much lost.

I've seen people get away with murder because Admin liked them and they were one of the "chosen few."

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2014

I can "hear" in your post some of the frustration typical in March, at least in my experience. It sounds like you are being very successful at your school. Congrats to you! Many can't do what you are doing. For me, it would come down to the school loans issue. It would take a big salary increase to compensate for loan forgiveness. After you've spent the requisite time, you may decide the cons are just too big. Your experience will be valued by future employers.
    Ultimately, you need to follow your head and heart.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2014

I would stay.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

So would I. All of the positives, particularly the positive relationships with colleagues and supportive administration, help to support through the challenges.

12. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 28, 2014

I agree with Mrs. C :thumb:

13. teach1

teach1 Companion

Mar 28, 2014

I would stay. Your pros are all very important (and sometimes hard to come by!!) and your cons don't sound all that bad (extreme behavior CAN be... but you said you enjoy your students for the most part). I am also just going by your tone.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

I would stay as well.

15. charlottesome

charlottesome Rookie

Mar 29, 2014

I would stay until you know you can't anymore. I spent 2 years in inner-city and now I am in a great, suburban district. In some ways, I miss the crazy! However, I knew I wanted to continue teaching for another 30 years and staying at my old school just didn't seem sustainable, for me. Also, I wanted to go deeper into the curriculum with my students and I always had a sense that I was just scratching the surface. I am much happier now. You'll know when it is time to go. Stay until then and learn as much as you can.