To prove my point...

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by tracieteaches, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Feb 23, 2006

To prove my point that special ed. teachers are not appreciated nearly enough, just look at this site! The special ed. teachers forum section is located belowthe substitute teacher category, and we don't even have a chalkboard avatar saying Special Ed. Teacher!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 23, 2006

I'm surprised that there isn't an avatar that says special ed. but I don't think that where it is placed on the list of forums is relevant at all.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 23, 2006

Oops... The special interest forums are actually supposed to be in ALPHABETICAL order (except for Homeschool since it is not an open forum). It looks like I made a mistake.

I add new chalkboard avatars by request... just suggest what you'd like it to say. I initially made only grade level avatars and the others were added by request.

Sometimes I don't feel very appreciated either.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 23, 2006

I think we all feel that way sometimes.

6. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Feb 23, 2006

Thanks, Amanda. I would like the avatar to simply say, "Special Ed. Teacher"

7. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Feb 23, 2006

Back when I started visiting this site, there were SO FEW special education teachers posting here--I really don't think it is a matter of not being appreciated, I think our presence is just growing on this site (which is great).

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2006

I think it should say: "Special Ed teachers are angels in disguise! ":) That is how I feel about them anyhow! (this from a mom with two boys in spec. ed)

9. Amanda

Feb 23, 2006

Now the subs are going to be mad because their forum is last.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2006

Oh no Amanda...........Glenda is going to be mad!!!!!! LOL!!!!! It's hard to please everyone, isn't it? (sigh)

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 23, 2006

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :p

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 23, 2006

Haha, Glenda!

13. Amanda

Feb 23, 2006

The new "Special Ed. Teacher" chalkboard is available now.

14. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 4, 2006

Kinderkids, thanks for the compliment!

I am a special education teacher who works with moderate/severe autistic spectrum disorders. I also have Asperger's Syndrome (it's pronounced Ashburger's in Austria) which is form of mild autism. I
    am very sensory defensive but I have learned through trial and error and learning from my own mistakes the best way to work with it. I also have appreciated becoming a teacher to students less fortunate than myself. It's working with them who has made me a better person and learn to look beyond my own limitations. it's the best career you'll learn to love when you've been in your own students' shoes! :) :D ;) :angel: :rolleyes: :thanks:

15. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 6, 2006

Hey! Subs are people too! And we are also pretty darn underappreciated:p I am required to to have a certification to even be a sub in most districts in my state. I know your job is hard and underappreciated, I've had three 5-6 week assignments in Sp.ed. (unfilled positions so I had to write my own plans). So I've been a sub and a sp. ed. teacher at the same time--double underappreciate--beat that. I know I didn't even scratch the surface on how hard your job is.

I agree with Ellen. When I joined very few people ever posted on Special Ed. Threads would go without responses for days.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2006

Hey Amanda- you provide a great service here as evidenced by the tremendous volumes of postings here. Lots of sharing, bonding, exchanging ideas.....Everyone knows how hard you work to keep the standards high on your site!! There are choices to be made in this world.....a special ed teacher can complain about where their forum is listed or they can be thankful that there is a place they can go to feel supported, welcomed and validated (which I think they would feel in any forum here....)

tracieteaches- lighten up....you'll find lots of support and welcome here if you'll remove any remaining chips off your shoulder. :angel:

17. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Mar 6, 2006

I am just speaking for all of the special ed. teachers out there. No, it really didn't matter to me where we fell in the line-up of forums, but not even having a chalkboard until I spoke up, well, come on. I am teaching inclusion this year and I love it. I just would like everyone to realize that with inclusion I do half the work load of the regular ed. teacher's instructional assignments--half the lesson planning and teaching half the subjects, but am also responsible for all of the IEPs, testing of special ed. students, and classroom mods. So, yes, I do want to stand up and be appreciated for all that I do.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2006

Hey, face it, we all want to be appreciated for what we do. Don't assume though that where you are listed in the forums or when an avatar became available (I think you will find Amanda is constantly undating these) is reflective of anyone's preconceived notions of or respect for special ed teachers.

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 6, 2006

I got used to not being appreciate... lol. All part of the trade! :)

Lori

20. Amanda

Mar 6, 2006

And so do I... I made the chalkboard by special request for you. As I mentioned before... I started with grade levels, which includes everyone, and the special ones were added when people requested them. To continue the assertion that I don't appreciate special education teachers because I didn't have a special ed chalkboard is taking this a little far... :rolleyes:

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2006

tracie, sounds like you've got issues with being valued appropriately there in Pennsylvania. If that's the case, I'm truly sorry, and if you'd like to ventilate about your situation you're bound to get a sympathetic hearing on just about any forum, and someone here may even be able to make suggestions that will help.

But in the meantime, would you please stop displacing your unhappiness onto Amanda? She's the wrong target. What's more, Amanda's ours here, in more or less the way that a primary grader's very favorite teacher is hers, and I'm afraid my internal primary grader (concealed under a veneer of adulthood, but never far from the surface) is beginning to bristle at your treatment of our Amanda.

22. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Mar 7, 2006

AMEN!!!! I gave up expecting outward appreciation a long time ago (sad, since I'm only 24!). This way, any kind of appreciation I DO receive is an unanticipated surprise! :D

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2006

"People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Abraham Lincoln

24. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 31, 2006

"All children are gifted, it takes us as educators to help reveal that gift"

Troy Sorrell
    Bridget Beuford

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 31, 2006

Religion, I can understand. Avatars? Not so much.

26. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Apr 1, 2006

Picking on Amanda?

I simply asked for an avatar that said Special Ed. Teacher and she promptly made one. Thanks again, Amanda.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 1, 2006

Thank you for thanking Amanda.

28. Amanda

Apr 1, 2006

I guess the further complaining about having to ASK for an avatar was forgotten.

All I can say is... :rolleyes: and I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.