To Prepare or Not Prepare...that is the question.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by breezymarie07, Jul 22, 2013.

1. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

School starts in about 5-6 weeks and I'm still jobless for the fall. I keep hearing that there is a chance I could still get an FT position as some schools are still hiring up until school starts (even after). So I remain hopeful.

My question is - do I start preparing basic things like I have a classroom (buy more books for classroom library, thinking of decor, etc) or do I wait until the eleventh hour when, God willing, I do get a position? I am also a little strapped for cash since I do not have much spending money after rent and utilities.

Since I'm superstitious, I don't want to jinx anything by preparing and then I end up with no classroom. However, I also hate being unprepared and don't want to be scurrying at the last minute trying to get my classroom set up. Also, I'm certified 1-8, so I don't want to spend money on books for 2-3 and end up at an MS.

Any advice? What should/can I be doing to prepare? Anyone hired late in the summer that can share their experience?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I would wait until you have a position to buy things for your classroom, especially if money is tight. Just keep applying and contacting schools!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

This.:thumb:

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 22, 2013

I agree. Hang in there. :hugs:

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I would not prepare anything since, at this point, you have nothing to prepare for. Just continue the hunt, and prepare only when you land something.

7. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

For my first year teaching, I was hired a week or 2 before school started. I did not purchase anything as others suggested because I thought it would be best to wait until I had a position. I also didn't know what grade I'd be teaching if I got a position, so that was another factor. As soon as I was hired, I made a major trip to the local teacher store, and I also hit up a ton of garage sales! I actually made out really well. A bunch of the teachers at my school were all really helpful with helping me get my room set up and even came down to my room to give me any extra supplies they could part with.

8. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

Thank you!! I do have a small start - my cooperating teacher let me take a bunch of her books for her classroom library and I have a good amount from when I was growing up that I would donate. She also gave me this cute little crayon board she was going to throw away. Was thinking of gluing corkboard to it and making it a bulletin board for something.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

I think it would be okay to start thinking about policies, procedures, rules, etc. I don't think you should buy anything, though.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

I would definitely wait to go shopping. After all, you don't know where you will end up. Why go to the expense when you aren't certain?

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

I did the same thing. I was hired late once, with just four days to prep a completely empty room. I had supplies but they were all in boxes in the hall. I needed those little touches. My p was very understanding and told me not to worry about making it all perfect. But I wanted to, of course, and so I worked like a dog day and night. I wouldn't recommend it, though...save your energy!

12. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

You could always make a wish list at Teachers Pay Teachers. That's what I've done and I can get what I want when I get a position.

13. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I have been buying books for 3 years and other things that I have seen on sale in preparation for my own classroom. It's been 2 years and I still don't have a full time teaching job. So, I have decided not to buy anything else, and start giving some of my things away to new teachers since I am not going to be using them any time soon.

14. evesmeow

evesmeow Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I have to agree with everyone else. Wait until you know where you will be before spending money on any classroom supplies. Now if people are willing to donate, by all means start hoarding books and anything else you think you would use in your classroom. :)

As someone who LOVES school supplies, it's been really hard for me to pass up the deals. So I try to stick to things I think I would use at home too like sharpie markers, post-its, tape, etc. Not only do I not have my own classroom yet, I don't have the room to store "stuff."

Good luck with your job search!

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2013

Planning procedures, looking for mentor texts, and pinning things on Pinterest would be a good idea. That kind of prep may even help you on interviews.

I wouldn't buy anything unless you come across a retired teacher's garage sale! Maybe stash a little bit of your spending money, like five to ten dollars or whatever you can afford, away for when you get your position so you have a bit to spend on exactly what you'd need to get your room ready.