To perm or not to perm

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher Chele, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 6, 2009

I'm thinking of getting a loose curl perm before school starts back. My hair is basically straight, but tends to wave in the back a little. I want something easy to style. I don't want to look like an 80's poodle. Does anyone still get perms?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

NO! Don't do it!
    I wash my hair at night, put little braids in it and by the time morning rolls around, I have my PERM! It's the safest way to perm my hair. I have never sprayed it, to see if it would last a while. It's good for about 3-5 days, if I don't wash it out. I hate not washing my hair every other day, so I end up just washing it out.:D
    Rebel1

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 6, 2009

I have naturally curly hair... IMO, curly hair isn't that easy to style (if you want to make it look nice). I have medium length, somewhat thick hair and it takes me about 30 minutes to do my hair. (I usually don't style my hair curly in the summer because it feels too heavy (gel) and the blow dryer is too hot).

My advice: Before you get a perm try seeing if your hair will curl on it's on since it has some wave to it.

Go buy some gel (I use Redken 8). Run the gel through your wet/very damp hair. Flip your head over. Scrunch your hair until it gets wavy/curly. Blow dry with a diffuser with your head flipped over. This will save you money versus getting a perm and it's healthier for your hair.

If those directions aren't clear enough google "how to style curly hair" and a bunch of how-to videos will show up.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 6, 2009

You're going to laugh at this one, but I'm totally serious. Google "plopping curly hair," then try it. It works!!!!

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2009

I was an 80's poodle.
    LOL
    Kim

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

I just tried a perm. I have been very dissappointed. I had straight hair and wanted something that would make mornings easier and if I used a curling iron my hair would not be straight in 5 min.
    My hair now mats when I wash it. I will be sooo glad when it grows out.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 6, 2009

I love perms. But they do damage your hair, and they never look as 'curly' as you think they will. I had one all through elementary, and through college. It fulfills my deep need for big hair. Because I highlight my hair now and it's very brittle, I just use the curling iron each morning (not good either, I know). About 3 minutes, and I can curl all the ends, spray and get a very large look (think Sleeping Beauty). I only wash every other day, and it keeps it pretty healthy looking! (my hair is straight as a pin, so if it curls with an iron, I bet yours will curl in an instant)

9. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 7, 2009

I just got one on Thursday.. it's my summer 'do!! :) I don't have to worry about "doing" my hair when I am at the lake... the perm does it for me. I do like having that little bit of body also in the fall when school starts. (My hair takes perms VERY well.)

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2009

Hey, I checked this out (including an instructional video on YouTube), but everything indicates plopping is for those with already curly hair. Do you know people with straight hair that do this? I also have straight hair but have always wanted long, very loose curls.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 7, 2009

I doubt it'll make much difference for people with straight hair, but if you have wavy hair than it might accentuate the waves and make them more defined. Plopping makes a major difference for people with curly hair like me. I keep my hair in a microfiber towel for about 5 mins then air dry.

12. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 7, 2009

I get a perm every six weeks, but for african-americans perms make your hair straight.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2009

Personally, I wouldn't get a perm because of the damage it does to your hair. I got one done in elementary school because my hair was thin and straight (still is HA!) and it took a long time for my hair to become healthy again.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 7, 2009

Work with what you have! This is my advice, from someone who fought with thick curly hair for decades. All I ever wanted was stick straight smooth as silk hair. A perm? No way! Embrace your straight hair the way you would if you knew all of us curly girls were coveting it!! :) Hugs!

15. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I will admit that I still get perms. I get a new perm every 6-12 months and have for almost 10 years now! I don't highlight or do anything else to damage my hair, so it really is minimal damage. I have been wanting to do something else with my hair but I just can't seem to get myself to cut the long length and I would then have to take the time to blow dry and straighten my hair. It takes me literally two minutes to run a pick through it and then throw some gel on it. If I didn't have it, it'd take me 30 minutes or longer to get it looking ok.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 7, 2009

Wow. Maybe permed hair is more compliant than naturally curly hair. When I straighten mine, it is so easy. I just brush it in the morning and that's it! I can wash and straighten it every 4 or 5 days if the weather cooperates.

Wearing it curly? Ugh, it has to be cajoled (coerced) into place, then once it's dry, de-crunching the gel or else it looks wet all day. Matted curls are no joy to wake up to.

So, OP, whatcha gonna do?

17. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Don't perm!

I haven't permed my hair in about 3 years and now it's sooooo dry and brittle. I regret it! Of coarse, I have thick hair and lots of it. I also highlight and color so getting the perm down just ruined my hair. I permed it so that during the winter my hair wouldn't get flat so quickly. And boy, do I regret!!!!!

Now I have to trim it about 1/2 an inch every 6 weeks so I can get rid of the dry ends.

Of coarse, I also straighten the hair so that doesn't help one bit!!:blush:

18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

THT WS WHT I SD 2! (NO! Don't do it!)
    Chck ths out. My older sister had curly hair and I have straight black hair. I use to iron her hair all the time. I pretty much didn't care at the time BUT now I'd like to have curly hair! I do it the safe way; braid it wet at night ,and POO:DOOF it out in the morning. It's fast, free, and fun!
    NOBODY is ever satisfied with what they get.:help:
    Rebel1

19. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

When you braid your hair, how do you do it? Lots of little braids? A few big ones. Mine always looks like it has a stripe of waves through the middle third of my hair.

20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

It depends on how I like it to turn out. If I want it to be smaller and tight curls I do really small braids. If I just want just BIG waves then I do just one or two big braids. I have never sprayed it with hair spray to see if it would last longer, BUT I bet it would.:D
    Rebel1