To Kill a Mockingbird

Discussion in 'High School' started by trulyblssd, Jul 31, 2008.

1. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Hi all,
    I teach Mockingbird in the beginning of the year. I have a question for all those that teach this wonderful novel. Do you have any suggestions for a movie to show at the beginning of the novel to show background of the southern lifestyle in the 30s. I will be out of maternity leave and I want to make things as easy as possible for the sub. Any suggestions will help me greatly!

3. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

O Brother Where Are Thou is set in that time period but it might just go over their heads if they haven't read the Odyssey. Also contains some scenes which may be disturbing.

If you have computer lab access for a few days, there is a great plan that uses the Library of Congress to look at life in that time period:

http://memory.loc.gov/learn/lessons/98/mock/lesson.html

See I and II.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

I was going to suggest using photos also. I have my students analyze photos to constrast the 20's and 30's. The National Archives web site has a ton of photos along with anaysis worksheets for the 1930's.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

6. teacher61

teacher61 New Member

Jul 31, 2008

Places in the Heart -- Sally Field --
    I think English Journal did an article (quite a few years ago) about all the parallels between this & TKAM.

7. ED457

ED457 Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

I believe we watched Ghosts of Mississippi when we read this book. It doesn't take place in the 30's, so it wouldn't help with the time period, but it helped to show racism in the south.

8. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

I second bandnerdtx and the use of Scottsboro documentary. I had some transparencies that showed the whole tragedy from the fake rape through the trial. Great stuff and very powerful.

9. fargo21

fargo21 Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

I would recommend The Autobiography of Ms. Jane Pittman, The Sky is Gray, and Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry. These are all movies set in or near the south during the time period you mentioned.

10. active44

active44 New Member

Sep 10, 2008

There's an inspiring video about mockingbird on TED which could be interesting to the youth. I cannot post the link, but you can search word RIVES on TED page and it's the 4th video from top

11. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Great Film

I use the PBS film Riding the Rails. It is a film about the 250,000 teengers who became homeless during the Great Depression and it reveals their experiences. It really connects to the students because many of the individuals in the film were around the age of the students.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

The Great Debaters ties in nicely with period and theme. And its just a fantastic movie.