To kill a mockingbird removed from Virginia schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Oct 23, 2017.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2017

Is it common to remove books from all schools in an entire state? No, that's not terribly common.

It is a little more common for parents or community members to challenge books that are either assigned as part of the curriculum or just hanging out on a shelf in the library.

More and more it seems like there is a culture of ignorance and intolerance in the US. I suspect that we will see more of this sort of thing in the not-too-distant future.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2017

I'm teaching TKAM right now, tying it into the second unit in our book, which is about the struggle for freedom (we use Collections). I was considering teaching a unit about freedom of speech after that, and will likely use this article in that unit!

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 23, 2017

Not book-related, but some years ago there was a mini-movement to retract parts of state history from the school history texts. Like, major parts that would leave noticeable holes in history. Why? Discomfort. I mean, we can't just leave basic things out.

Obadiah and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 23, 2017

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2017

I just finished a Banned/Challenged Books unit with my Grade 7s. We looked at a variety of children's books (primarily picture books) that have been frequently challenged. We talked about a quote that said that challenges to books (or other media) reflect society's fears. My students are working on an opinion piece about whether or not they feel that parents should have the right to ask for books to be removed from school or class libraries--I can't wait to read them!

8. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Oct 23, 2017

About six years ago my school in VA pulled Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" because a parent didn't like the discussion of rape.

9. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 23, 2017

It hasn't been removed from the schools in the entire state, the article is only about one county. (A particularly small, low-population county for the state.) The high school classroom I'm doing my practicum in just finished a unit on To Kill a Mockingbird today, actually.

(Not that I'm defending the choice of the county. I hate seeing books censored out of schools, even more so when those removing the book seem to be missing the point of the book they're censoring. I just wanted to clear up that the article isn't about the book being removed across the entire state.)

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2017

Thanks for clearing that up. A different article I read a few days ago implied that it was across the board in the whole state.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2017

Clearly this parent has not actually read and understood TKAMB, and the use of the language and its context and purpose.

MetalTeacher likes this.