To Kill a Mockingbird 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BCPMWK, Jul 2, 2010.

1. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 2, 2010

http://tokillamockingbird50year.com/

On the "What are you reading now?" topic, I posted that I read Scout, Atticus, and Boo today. It is a collection of stories from famous authors and others who talk about the impact this novel has had on their lives. Anyway, if you are a fan, there are several celebrations happening across the US this summer.

The author's website also has video interviews.
    http://www.marymurphy.net/

:D

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

This novel probably had the greatest impact on me of any book I have ever read. As far as I was concerned, when I was younger (and pretty much now), no one could hold a candle to Harper Lee, Carson McCullers or Flannery O'Connor when it came to getting uncomfortably close to the bone.

Thanks for sharing this!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

This book is my family's favorite shared novel!! Our cat is named Boo Radley!! ;)

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010

This novel bummed me out. I got halfway through and wasn't really into it. I put it aside in favor of The Help. Does it get better?

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 3, 2010

I read the novel in 10th grade, it was by far one of the best books I've ever read. One of those types of books, where when, my English teacher said "read chapters 1-3 for homework tonight, there's a quiz tomorrow"…. I read way past the third chapter.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

Are you talking about the new book celebrating the 50th anniversary (which doesn't sound like a novel) or the original 'To Kill a Mockingbird'? TKAM is a classic...but I was hooked from the beginning.

8. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jul 3, 2010

TKAM is my favorite novel to teach. I don't know how many times I've read it. Love it!

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 4, 2010

Definitely a great book!

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 4, 2010

I SO love this book, and seem to love it even more each time I read it. Gregory Peck did such an outstanding job in the movie. That part where the minister in the balcony tells Scout to "stand up, your father is passing" gets me every time. :)

Thanks for sharing these sites. Here is one from the Education section of the New York Times:
    http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/50-years-of-to-kill-a-mockingbird/?scp=2&sq=To%20Kill%20a%20Mockingbird%2050th%20Anniversary&st=cse

To the right hand side of the page, there is a Student Opinion section where students 13 and older can write in. I think this would be an excellent writing tool in the classroom. The paper really has some neat things for teachers and students. :)

11. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 4, 2010

http://tokillamockingbird50year.com/

Oh, meant to ask...did everyone notice the audiobook recording of TKAM by Sissy Spacek on the lower lefthand side of the page? Wow! Has anyone had time to listen....is it the entire book or just an excerpt? :)

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2010

I think it is a 50th anniversary edition; there's a difference??