To grow my hair out or not to

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Peachyness, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

Keep it shorter.

2. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 4, 2007

I don't have time to read everything but you could grow it out with a purpose. That might help you. If your growing it out to donate to Locks for Love it might help you not chop it off. I donated a couple of years ago. Actually more like four yrs ago now LOL. I decided to grow it out to do it again, and than decided I wasn't going to cut it until I got married. Sigh well maybe next year. LOL

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2007

Ah, so we're not twins after all, Master Pre-K :( The longest hair currently on my head is about 4 inches, and that's the lowest layer in the back. Luckily, I'm partially Native American, so I have no gray yet (45 in a month). My grandmother had salt and pepper hair when she died in her 80's. My mom had some gray, then had cancer. Her chemo treatments took all of her hair, but now it has grown back and there is NO gray! (I don't recommend chemo treatments for gray removal.) I have a friend who went completely gray at the age of 16. It is really strange to see a guy his age with a full head of gray hair, but it definitely makes him stand out in a crowd!

4. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 4, 2007

My hair is long and stick straight. Which has been good the past year or so as far as styles go. Hubby likes it long. I will get it cut and layered before school starts but not to where I can't throw it in a pony tail when I get up late !

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2007

I second the idea to talk it through with your stylist. I have total faith in my stylist. I can tell her, "I want something different" and then I let her go. Sometimes, she will ask me questions, like, "Are you comfortable going super-short?" or "How much time do you want to spend on it each day?" but, usually, she just does what she wants, and I've ALWAYS been thrilled.
    Kim

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

I've been to SO many different hair stylists who have completely bothed my hair. I found one who will cut it short to my liking, but lately I have been tired with the same style. I tried once to get something new from her and it didn't really work. I ended up going back to get my hair all chopped off. I guess I just have really bad luck with hair stylists.

*sigh* My hubby still thinks I should grow it out. I get what you guys are saying though in that I look better with short hair. Honestly, I'm just sick and tired with short hair. I also like to just be able to throw it back in a pony tail and not worry about it being in my face. I did see this girl with the exact hair cut that I want! I almost took a picture of her, but felt too embarrased. If only I could find something similar so I can show it to my hair dresser.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 4, 2007

Ask your friends who they have cut their hair. Thats how I found my hairstylist and I love her. I have recommended people to her whenever they need someone.

I do like being able to tie my hair back whenever I want. When I had short hair I had to style it everyday.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

People think short hair is easy, but not really.. It takes a lot more styling some time to achieve the right look. I like shorter hair for me ... I look older.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 4, 2007

I think you should grow it out as long as you can stand it. At least, then you know that you tried. Maybe you could grow it out until the week before school and reassess. I agree that most people forget to have their hair styled by a professional as they grow it out, it really does help.
    My hair is naturally curly and I like it pretty short, above the shoulder. Right now I should get it cut, but short curly hair requires wash and blow dry everyday. It is ponytail length now, and it will stay there until a week or two before school :)

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

Heh, and I was thinking that longer hair might make me look older.

11. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

I don't know...I look older with shorter hair, too. In the pics you posted, I thought you looked older with the shorter hair.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

two questions here...

what happens when you find a stylist you absolutely love, and she quits, has kids and stops working, or moves out of town?! I have followed my stylist everywhere but out of state! It is so hard breaking a new one in! I would rather go to a beauty school, because they are getting a grade, and can't do too much because they aren't licensed.

I went to JCP beauty salon once, and this girl jacked my hair up real bad! I wanted to go back and sue! It turned into straw, and just started shedding like a dog!!

I thought longer hair made you look good, but then short hair was best for older people. who ever started that crazy rumor that older women look like a sorceress with long hair??

I know if I wear it up,off my neck that makes me look old...

when it's hot like this, I really don't like to wear it down at all

when I was a playground aide, I wore a hat everyday! I think alot of people don't realize how much damage the sun does to our hair and skin!

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2007

and then there's the issue of the dreaded hat hair! :eek:

14. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I need to find a stylist. Maybe that would help with my "hair cut anxitey." My hair is so thick that I really need to find someone I can trust to cut my hair and not make me look like a train wreck.

Peachyness, are we helping you make up your mind or just making it worse?? :D

15. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

LOL, I've enjoyed this thread because I think we all think this at different times!

How old is too old to grow your hair? I've always wanted long hair (past my shoulders) and had someone tell me I was too old. I'll be 42 soon. Is that too old? I keep it colored/high-lighted to look modern and I hate it super short because it is more work for me.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2007

I'm curious about the "too old" thing, too. I used to love watching Olivia Walton (Michael Learned) brush out her hair on the Waltons, and then there was Judging Amy, in which Tyne Daly had the most gorgeous head of silver hair -- until she cut it.

17. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I don't see what's so wrong with having long hair at any age. I find it so odd that once women hit their mid-30s, they all have shorter hair (chin length and up). Why do so many women do that?

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

yeah, nothing is worse than moving back home or to a new town, and trusting your in-laws to recommend you to their stylist!

you can't go shopping for them just by looking in the window

some good ones have standing appointments...always bump you, never start on you until 2hrs later...might as well be at the doctors office!!!...kids running around, eating food, smoking

I don't miss that at all!!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

because of menopause amers...

I will stay on the pill until I die! (won't go thru menopause as long as I take them) I can't stand sweating, and I hear when you go thru menopause, you have these terrible hot flashes. Dealing with long hair and sweating is just too much of a hassle.

short styles are cooler...and not necessarily easier, as a poster point out, but at least its off your neck!

at least everyone I know 40+, presently company not included, has a short hair cut. I am the only one I know who can still wear a pony tail.

20. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

Hm. I didn't think about that. I suppose that makes sense...still I think I'd rather just pull my hair back in a messy bun or something. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm older.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

clips, head bands, bobby pins, all these lovey things look more teenagy... but with my short ends, I don't have a choice.

I have trouble with my girls who wear 50 barrettes in their heads! They make too much noise, play with them, chew on them, and some poor kids have one braid right between their eyes!

this is just stupid...in my opinon. Do you want your kid to be cross-eyed??

22. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

Peachy! You look hot! You should grow out your hair, that's my only advise!:D

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Technically, I was five year older when that photo was taken.... The one with longer hair was when I was younger....

But yeah, maybe I might look younger if I grew it out. Who knows??? I keep giving up!

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Well, seeing as I came on here to ask a silly question as to whether I should cut it off or just grow it, and after getting about 50 responses, either yes, keep growing it, or no, you look better with short hair, and then being told to put my hair into my stylist and the only stylist that I think is the best in my town hasn't been doing ALL that great lately.... *sob* Yes, yes, you guys are *sob* really helping me here....

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Pfffffffttttt.... :p

Yay, I got a definate answer TO grow my hair out. I need to go back through and calculate the answers.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Alright here are the scores:

2 people said to grow it out
    4 said to cut it
    and 5 said to grow it out until school begins and then cut if I get tired of growing it out
    and then about 45 people talked about their own hair (HEY! whose thread is the about anyways!! :p )

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2007

Hey!! I did both! ;)

28. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

Me too! :D

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 5, 2007

Oh, I forgot that I had my pictures set to "friends only". I went in and set my "my pictures" folder to "everybody", so you should be able to see it now.

MySpace Site