To grow my hair out or not to

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Peachyness, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

Alright. I can't decide whether to grow out my hair or not!!!!

I've had short hair for about 20 years and I'm ready to start growing it out.... for the 5th time. I've tried before but always get tired of waiting. The problem lies when my hair reaches shoulder length. It looks goofy on me. Once it passes that, it gets better. I've had to reach below shoulder twice, but still got impatient and chopped it off. Well, I decided in May after my surgery that I was going to grow my hair out again. But, I keep going back and forth. Should I bother with trying to grow it out or just get it cut cause I'll probably do that later anyways. Once it reaches shoulder length, then for the next three months, I'll have to wear it in a pony tail. Sigh.... what to do.....

My husband is tired of hearing me complain about it and he's of no help. He says I look good with short hair one minute and then tells me that I'll look good with long hair, or with my hair in a braid, or in a side ponytail..... Gah!!

Plus, my hair grows sooooooo slowly. Does your hair grow slow?

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 2, 2007

YES! Although my hairdresser DOES say that it matters what phase the moon is in when you get your hair cut. If it is waxing (getting bigger), then if you cut it it will grow faster. If it is waning (getting smaller), it won't grow fast at all. Do I believe it? Well, you never know....

I am in the same boat, Peachy! My hair has been short since 5th grade, with very few exceptions. My hubby and my daughter both say they like it longer. My mom says she likes it shorter. I always go through much anguish deciding to cut or not to cut. Right now, I'm considering at least letting mine grow until school starts. The only problem with that is that my hair is quickly getting to the point that it looks awful (shaggy), and I hope to have an interview or two! Keep me posted on what you decide!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

My hair is thick and pin straight... I have my hair razor cut with choppy layers and my life has never been the same. Easy, easy, easy... I could never have long hair, it just did nothing and was way too thick.

Now, if it grows a smidge, it feels long and bothers me. I did manage to grow out my hair for my wedding so it could be worn up, but right after that i cut it all off again.

I love short hair that you can still do stuff with... not super short, but with choppy layers for texture.

I say go short.

5. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

A lot of people make the mistake of not doing anything to their hair when they are growing it out. That's why it looks shaggy and bad. I think it's important to get it "shaped" (not CUT) every so often when you're growing it, especially if you're going from layers to one length. It's those split ends that make it look unkempt.

So - I vote for growing it, girls, with the caveat that you need to maintain it while you're doing it!

:)

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

I have been growing mine out for almost 2 years!!! I have never had really long long hair (and always wanted it as a kid)! Right now it is past my sholders and I am starting to get sick of it! However, I am on a mission to get it long enough to donate it! Last time I went for a haircut my hairdresser told me that it was long enough to donate, but that I would not be left with much on my head! I am going to wait it out a few more months before the big chop!

7. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

I forgot to say that my hair has always been long, so I may be prejudiced. :sorry:

And good for you, lovetoteach! Donating hair is an act of love! :love: I even know a GUY who grew out his hair to donate!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2007

My hair is about two inches past my shoulders, and I have been growing it out since October. I don't know what to do, either. My hair doesn't have much shape right now, and I may have to get it shaped a little. I like it longer, but I've never seen it too much above shoulder length, either (last October, it was about two inches above shoulder length).

For the past few years, I've wanted to see it either layered and chin-length or so or about four inches below my shoulders with layers. Right now, I'm saying the latter may work if I get my bangs (or lack thereof) to fall right with it.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Ah, that makes so much sense. I was playing around with my hair a couple of days ago and noticed a TON of split ends.

My hair is also super layered. I have very fine hair and so that's why I stuck to keeping it short. I could get it layered and a bit fuller.

But, I guess that's why I feel goofy when my hair gets to a certain length. It's not that I look silly with shoulder length hair (maybe I do), but it could be due to the fact that it looks messy. My layers are growing out and are doing weird things. Right now, it's getting harder to manage. What's great about short hair is that all I have to do is wash it, towel dry it (or a quick blow dry), brush a bit, and I'm done. Less than 5 minutes. That's one major reason why I also had short hair. I'm very low maintainance.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Sigh... I think I'll let it grow out this summer and see when school starts up again. If I'm still undecided, then I'll probably get it cut short again. I'm starting a new grade and don't really need this to add on to the stress.
    I remember the last time I tried growing out my hair, it took me a year to get from right below my ears to about 2 inches below my shoulders. Then, for some reason, I got it cut off and felt so very guilty. It took me a long time to get the courage again to try and grow it out. I think one reason it took so long for it to grow was due to lack of protein. So, ever since I decided to grow my hair out, I've been eating a lot more protein.

That moon thing is interesting.....

11. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

I know what you mean about getting bored waiting for your hair to grow out. Mine grows super slow, though, so I freak out about getting it cut. Most of the time, I hate my new cut. I have VERY thick hair, so it's hard to decide what kind of cut will look good. I also don't like to spend time on my hair, so it is almost always piled on top of my head with a couple hair ties (yep, it takes 2 to get my hair back...).

If I were you, I'd try and stick it out. See if you like your hair long, then decide whether or not to get it cut. In the end, you have to do whatever makes you happy.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Alright, I'll stick it out.....

I just remembered why I got it cut off after growing it out for a year!! My hair had finally grown past my shoulders, I was able to wear it down again and I decided to get my hair styled. So, I went in and told her I had been growing it out and wanted a new style. She gave me some new layers and flipped my hair out. At first, I freaked, and then I thought, well, it does look a little cute. My hubby didn't like it at all. But, the people at work and parents thought it looked cute. So, I really tried to like it. But, one thing that made me hate this cut was how long it took me to flip it out like the stylist did. I never can get my hair to look like how the hair styist styled it. Anyways, after a month, I got fed up with trying to style it. I started wearing it in a braid or pony tail. In the end, I ended up HATING the cut and went in mad and got the whole thing cut SUPER short. So, now that I remembered this, I'm too afraid to go in and get it styled while I grow it out.

13. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

Oh no! I didn't mean to pass my hair-cut anxiety onto you!!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Well you did!! Now I need a shoulder to cry on..... :(

15. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

We should start a support group!

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

Did you say side ponytail?

Post a pic of yourself so we can see how you look with short hair. If you're shy, you could blur your face (but that will make it harder to tell how you'll look). Or, go here to try on different hair lengths on a "model" of you... have fun!

p.s. I had hair down to my bra strap, spirally curly and thick. I liked it best straightened, then curled on a big fat iron for waves. Like the Breck girl (look it up :) ) However, I love my new short 'do! Love love love it! Straightened, then wavy-ied, it looks cute and professional, definitely cute!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 3, 2007

They have free programs online where you put in your picture and see what different hairstyles look like on you. Even if you don't get what you are looking for, the pure entertainment value of it all is worth it.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

I feel for you except I was opposite...long hair & deciding whether to go shorter. I was back & forth & then just decided to do it. It was not too short though right around my shoulders. I did chop 8 inches off & donated it...that was my mission to chop enough to donate, but I was a little leary about chopping 8 inches!!!!

The moon thing was funny it was brought up, check out this site...
    http://www.farmersalmanac.com/bestdays/bestdays.html

I say give it until school starts, if you are super sick of waiting then just cut it a little & see how it goes.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Hair Cutters Anonymous:p

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

I had very short hair for about 5 years and finally started growing it out. My hair is very thick so I am keeping it at my shoulders otherwise I would never be able to blow dry it or do anything with it. Grow it b/c if you hate it you can always cut it.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Picture of myself eh?? I'll have to look for a good one. HOld on...

22. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

It's a big pain the neck to straighten or blow dry my hair becuase it's so long and thick. I don't mind piling it on top of my head though. It's out of my way, and I really hate spending time on my hair.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Alright, here's a picture of me right before my surgery. Oy. It's a REALLY bad picture of me, but I couldn't find a good one of me without other people in the picture.

Heh, at least you finally can put the face to the name!

So, does this help you at all. What do you think? Should I just stick to short hair?
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/707128413_de04ed0c0e_m.jpg

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

OOooh, don't I look sooo young. I hate it.

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

Look at the top four pictures on this site. I think this would look superb on you. You have lovely collarbones and a nice slim neck (no, I'm not hitting on you!) and would look really great with this hairstyle. I think it is four different ways to style that same cut.

Not too sure about long hair on you. Your hair doesn't look thick, and if it is not very thick it can look stringy. But, it is only one pic so I could be wrong.

You look great, by the way, don't say you hate it!

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2007

How much do you trust your stylist?

My stylist is pretty blunt, and he'll tell me if he thinks the style I want will work or not. I eventually got to the point where I just sat down in the chair and let him have at it. I've had all kinds of colors and styles. I started out with extremely thick stick-straight hair that evolved through illness and age to thin, fine stick-straight hair.

And when it was finally obvious that my own hair was just not fitting the bill anymore, he suggested that I buy my hair. LOL (Great fun, by the way.)

Once my hair started getting finer, all my cuts were layered, and I often had color put on my hair for volume, not the actual color. The damage from the coloring actually helped me hold styles better.

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

:eek:

Okay, so you think I should stick to short hair. Hmmm. I believe that's 2 (you and MissFrizzle). Ah man! My hubby is growing a goatee and I told him that as long as he's growing one, I'll grow out my hair. So, I don't think I can back down now. :D

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

Oh, when does the moon start to wax?

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2007

My husband really wanted me to grow my hair long because he'd seen pictures of me with long hair, but I'd had short hair for a long time before I met him. I agreed and told my stylist to let it grow. After about a year DH said that I needed to get my hair cut short again because it didn't look good long.

30. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

I do like having long hair (in case you couldn't tell by other posts!!), but your hair looks cute in the pic you posted. It's a good length for you. I'm not sure how thin hair does as it gets longer, but that would be something to keep in mind.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2007

Moon Phase Chart

Here's a chart with the moon phases. I've never heard about moon phases and cutting hair, but my grandfather went by all that stuff with his farming.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

My hair is super thin and fine. But, I did have long hair or a while and it didn't look too bad. I do have some pictures of me with long hair for the short time. I'll try to find some that I could post.

33. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2007

I like that length, too, but I believe I like the shorter length better. Maybe it's the difference in the cut more than the length.

I've always been the type to not stick with one hairstyle for very long . . . which is why my stylist and I get along so well. LOL On my myspace site I have one whole folder of pictures of me with different hairstyles.

35. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

I'll have to go check those pictures out! I think I saw your link to you myspace site.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

I can't seem to find your picture folder. Do I need to be a member of myspace in order to see it?

37. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2007

Both lengths suit you, but I'd say wait until right before the school year begins to make your final decision. Probably the style that you were talking about before (not much below your ears) is a good one, too, but I don't want you to do something you regret after growing it. I've done that before.

On the other hand, I have quite thick, wavy hair... and I can't really go for all that short of a style.

38. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 3, 2007

My hair is VERY thick, but fine at the same time! When I was in 5th grade, a hairdresser told me that it was "a hairdresser's dream and a mother's nightmare," which wasn't far off the mark! I had my hair cut short (think Dorothy Hamel) that year, because 1) it was constantly getting tangled, 2) I didn't want it to take 2-3 hours to dry, and 3)I was getting headaches from the weight of my hair, and it was only down to my shoulder blades! I dunno. I will probably wait until a few days before school starts, then get it all cut off again!

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

cut or perm or natural...that is the question

I cut my hair twice, and absolutely died waiting for it to grow back.

Never was really long, to me...until I became pregnant. Now it is in the shoulder length. Why can't we all have pregnant hair, nails, boobs!

anyway...

a lot of folks my age 40++ tend to wack their hair off and wear short do's. I can't see it. I can't stand being in the beauty salon all day, and then sweating like a pig as soon as I step out. I had a perm, let it grow out, let it get natural, and then I started sweating again...I can't stand it. Besides, you spend more money and time on short hairstyles! I have saved a ton of money since letting it go natural.

Being in preschool, I tend to wear ponytails, and natural styles. When you are around little folks, and sitting on floor, they love to play in your hair. I hate this, but resist the urge to be anti social and make them stop. So wearing pony tail seems to work.

I am fighting gray. It is not really salt-n-pepper. Just a few annoying strands in the front of my head, no place else! I tell you, it just looks like lint sitting there. i tried coloring, rinses, even cheating with a mascara brush. that is my cheapie hair coloring. I am not fighting my age, I just think it looks dumb to have a few strands of gray on top of my head, whereas real streaks to make me look....mature, distinguished...whatever.

I wear hats and fake pony tails when I am in a hurry, and can't look like anything that resembles me! :rolleyes: With a fancy scrungie, I can look almost mature and presentable.
    ;)

40. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 4, 2007

You'll like this, Master Pre-K, but I'm 25 and have a few gray strands of hair. I wouldn't doubt it, though, knowing myself.

I think I'll like having a little longer hair than usual next year. The students have never seen me with my hair past my shoulders, I believe. I think I already wrote this, but I'll probably trim a 1/2-inch off at the end of the summer and get it layered in the front with completely different bangs than I have now. I HAVE MY HAIR PARTED DOWN THE MIDDLE... and THAT is ugly on me. I just don't know what else to do.

41. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

I liked the shorter cut better on you based on the pics. That's just my opinion. I can't remember if you already said how long your hair is now, but you might try waiting until right before school starts to decide whether or not to get it cut (like another poster said). It might look pretty cute with a longer style. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. :)