To go back

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by educate, Jul 14, 2008.

1. educate

educate Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

So as most of us new teachers, I am extremely excited and nervous about the upcoming first year of teaching... So to all the experienced teachers.. if you could go back to your first year of teaching what would you have done differently:down: or what was something that really worked for you??:up:

3. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I think the whole process is a learning experience. I don't know that I would change much because what I went through and what I've done has made my classroom and teaching what it is today.

To answer your question I probably would make a rule about the bathroom. I had too many going out all the time.

4. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 14, 2008

If I could go back I would have really focused more on my classroom management in the first few weeks of school. I was so anxious to get into the curriclum I did not focus on rules, procedures, etc. Which ultimately led to a hectic year!

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

I would have asked for the "unspoken rules" of the school- especially of the office. I didn't get along to well with the Clerk my first year and it made my year really hard.

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I would have spent more time establishing the rules and consequences with my class,and made sure they were understood an always enforced.I worried too much about being liked by the children and thus was taken advantage of by a few of the students.
    I also needed to spend more time evaluating the skills and individual differences of my students. I had a fifth grade class where many of the students were two or more years below grade level.It took me too long to realize they had no chance at doing work at a fifth grade level for quite a long time

7. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I used to hate when people would tell me that it was going to get better. But, it was the truth. I suggest breathing a lot and getting as much planning done during the summer that you can. Make sure you take time for yourself so you don't get burned out and overwhelmed. Good luck!

8. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I agree with what several others have said. I would have spent a lot more time on classroom management and procedures. I also think I would have graded papers in a more timely manner, because I would often have a large stack on my desk at the end of the week.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

I am stealing your answer :p I totally agree. My mistakes were a necessary part of my learning curve. My mistakes caused me to reflect on what went wrong, why it went wrong and how to fix the problem/situation. Reflection IMHO is the most important aspect in improving as a teacher.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I think what has happened to me has helped me become a better teacher. But if I could go back and change something, it would be more classroom management style. I'd be stricter at the beginning of the year. :) I can't believe I'm going into my 6th year of teaching!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

:up: Trying new things- keeping teaching engaging
    :down: Parent communication- learned it's a HUGE factor in your success. Document, be objective, be consistent, state everything up front and don't change- stick what you believe in. But also recognize that parents love their child and want to know you love them too.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Not to fret over every little thing that may not have worked the way I had hoped/imagined ... understanding that even teenagers will give you a chance to say, "whoa, guys, we need to try this again, I figured out a better way to do this."

13. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I would have to ditto this except for teachers. SOME teachers can be really mean--but they're just trying to establish seniority and authority. Be strong. I wish I was stronger.....

No messing with me now!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I totally agree that the journey I was on during those first couple of years are a part of the learning experience. Hard to think about changing anything.

I do wish I hadn't spent so much time worrying about the look of my classroom. Every bulletin board didn't have to be so darn cute. I didn't have to stay up there til late at night trying to make things "just so". But maybe it's easier now because of all that.

15. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

#1 - I would have read Harry Wong's First Days of School again, then spent more time on procedures and classroom managment the first month of school. You can always lighten up later.

#2 - I would check with my school to see what supplies they would provide at the beginning of the school year and then inventory what my classroom had in supplies, equipment, furniture and books before I bought anything. (I spent a lot of $$ on my classrooms.)

#3 - I'd spend some quality time on the computer looking at other grade-level teachers websites to gather ideas from them. There are some on this site and that have great pages just to help beginning teachers. There are lists of websites on a sticky note in General Education.

Making mistakes is how you learn.... I made plenty, but now I know what does and doesn't work for me. Just take a few risks and tell your families that you don't cook on the first day of school. :angel: