To give candy or not, that is the question...?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Teacheraa, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Teacheraa

Teacheraa Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

OK so right now Im just voulunteering for my credential program in a 5th grade classroom. My superior is going to come in to observe me doing a lesson. The lesson I am doing is a game. So I could make the winning team's prize be candy suckers. But Im debating whether I should or not. Aside from candy being bad for them, I also dont want them thinking they need candy to be motivated, like I dont wanna "spoil" them you could say.

So what do you think? Candy or no candy, that is the question.....?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 20, 2008

Would she consider candy to be a motivator if they don't know what the prize will be until the end of the game?

You could offer them extra computer time or a free "no homework pass" if you decide against candy.

4. Teacheraa

Teacheraa Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

No, I dont care that they are motivated by the candy. It's not that. I just dont want to spoil them so that they expect candy all the time.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 20, 2008

I wouldn't give candy. In Texas we are not really supposed to give candy out anymore. Different schools seem to respect this differently, but my school is fairly strict. One thing that I have noticed is that the kids who have never gotten candy for learning something, have never asked for candy or prizes. My class loves to play games and they know that they answer to "what do we do when we win" is "to play again". Also, you never know what their reaction will be when you give them the candy. They may get a little crazy and then you would have to deal with that in front of your principal.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 20, 2008

My students win to just win and a high 5! I have never given out candy or prizes in my class. They did get a treat bag for Christmas and Easter, to take home...

7. LanguageLover

LanguageLover New Member

Apr 20, 2008

I am a first year teacher in New Orleans, and i can definitely tell you that candy DOES spoil them! I made a mistake and began giving small candy treats as a reward for students who correctly identified the errors in our daily language arts edit, and now they won't even try to answer unless I have candy bag in hand. Sighhhhhhh

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 20, 2008

I think you need to check out the nutrion school policy. Like Tasha's school, my high school has a very strict health/wellness policy regarding sugary treats. Since you are going to be observed while you play this game, you don't want to make a mistake and violate a school policy in front of your supervisor.

I tend to agree with everyone else about some other type of reward. I give bonus points on tests for the winners of my review games.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 20, 2008

I didn't care if you gave them candy or not. The thing that caught my eye was the words "superior" and "observing." Don't do it with them watching because you never know their views on this. It's not the most agreed on topic.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2008

We aren't allowed to give candy at our school. Handing out candy at any time, but especially when you're being evaluated/observed, would be a bad idea.

11. allyd

allyd Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

No candy is allowed in our schools anymore either. Or birthday treats without a healthy alternative being offered for the kids to choose instead. I would not give the candy. What does your mentor teacher do? I would definitely not do something that the students are not used to. This may get them a little wound up.

12. Teacheraa

Teacheraa Rookie

Apr 22, 2008

Actually he has given them candy, the teacher I mean, but after reading these responses maybe I just won't, it's tomorrow ...... nervvvvvvvvvousssssss

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 22, 2008

Yep, this is the first thing I saw too. I definitely would not use candy.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

Ah. The age old question of candy rewards. Currently our state is a no food rewards state. If we can tie food to the curriculum frameworks then we can use it in a lesson. My treat jar is filled with things like pencil erasers, stickers, bookmarks, pencil sharpeners, etc...

Before the law went into effect we were allowed to give candy as rewards. And no, the candy I gave the kids didn't ruin them. They didn't get it each time, so they didn't expect it. I actually probably should have given it out more, but that's the one thing I always forget about.

15. alpha1123

alpha1123 Rookie

Apr 22, 2008

What about going to the dollar store and getting some fun pencils (or Walmart or Target) and giving those as prizes. My cooperating teacher also let me offer five tally points, which the students use to buy fun things at the end of the quarter as a prize.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

How did it go?

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 22, 2008

I have been known to give out funky pencils....they LOVE them. But, more often than not, I don't give out prizes at all. In my classroom, the games ARE the prize. Fridays are game days..and they have to earn the right to play them by behaving during the week. If they don't earn the right to play the math games, then they have to do some boring assignment (usually bookwork) while listening to everybody else have fun. My kids go to great lengths not to loose game day privledges.

18. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 22, 2008

I'd stay away from candy due to the rising rate of food allergies if nothing else.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

Candy is allowed in my area. We give candy for good behavior, Games treats all kinda of stuff. I give it as a reward for being good. The classes I sub for a lot I tend to know the kids behavior. I will tell the ones who always give me problems that if they act on there best behavior they get a treat. Also, our elem. schools in my area (I only sub elem and spec.ed) have this saying "be on your best "bee"havior" and you get a paper shaped like a bee for doing good deads or something nice or being sweet when arent usually. They sign there name on it and so does the teacher or sub and then it is taken to the principal and she/he puts it in a bucket and then the end of the mo. a name from that mo. is drawn out to get a big prize of some kind.

20. Teacheraa

Teacheraa Rookie

May 20, 2008

Thanks all, it went fine without the candy and at the end I heard someone say, "That was fun!"...so maybe I'll skimp on the candy :)