To everyone having snow days....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tracykaliski, Feb 9, 2011.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

Can you send some our way? Teachers at my school are wiped out and we need a day off to rest and sleep. We have only had 2 snow days this year, unfortunately and are ready for another one.

If you could send stuff our way, I'd appreciate it! :)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 9, 2011

I'll gladly give you some of ours!

We've had three early release days, one one-hour delay, and 19 snow days. Tomorrow will be day #20.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

WOW!!!! DO you have to make those up? We only get 2 before we have to take days of our Memorial Day and April vacations.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

I could use one tomorrow, but I don't think that's happening. We've had 4 snow days and a 2 hr delay.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

20 days??? That's a lot! How many of those days do you have to make up?

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 9, 2011

We make all of them up.

We start school the first week of August, and without snow days we'd be out around May 12th. We normally just add them to the end of the year, but after so many we have to start taking scheduled days off, usually spring break. Last year we went on Saturdays. A few times we've extended the school days, too.

The most days we've missed since I've been teaching (since 1993) was 26 days. The fewest days missed was 9.

The bad part is that we also sometimes miss for flooding, especially in the spring & fall. We don't miss as much as some nearby districts, though.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

Wow, that is so interesting. Its funny because my Kindergarten classes will be video conferencing with K classes from Kentucky next week and one of the questions they are going to ask is if it snows there and if they got any snow days this year...I had no idea the snow was so bad!

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 9, 2011

I am ready for a snow day, we didn't have one last week like most of Northern NJ did. We have only used 2 snow days and have had about 3 delayed openings.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 9, 2011

It's really not in most places. I live in a rural area with curvy, mountain roads. We don't have road crews that can keep the roads clear enough to be safe for buses.

If you go 30 miles east or south of us, they miss more than we do. If you do 30 miles north or west, they rarely miss any days at all.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

Its been a week since my last snow day;)...and I was getting used to those 4 day work weeks..or at least a delayed opening or early out!:D we'll be off after next week for February break, so I can hang in till then!

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2011

The school we video conferenced with were in Willisburg...they said they had 13 snow days! My students were AMAZED!

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 16, 2011

We've only had 10 snow days so far (7 in the last two weeks). We have lots of hills and curvy roads in our area too. That makes for very dangerous roads. Half of our school population is out of city limits, so the schools also have to rely on the county to clear roads. Two weeks ago Tuesday we had 4 inches of ice and then 5 inches of snow. Two days later they predicted a dusting and we actually got 9 inches! We went to school Monday and Tuesday of last week and was expected to be out on Wednesday due to 2-5 inches that was coming. It ended up being 25 inches! That put us out for the rest of the week. Thursday the low was -21. Today the high is 71! Almost all the snow is now gone, but I bet we're going to have more in the next month. I'll gladly ship it your way.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 16, 2011

we have only had four snow days. I wish we would have one tomorrow or Friday. So I didn't have to use more of my sick days.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2011

We haven't had any snow days so far, and aren't likely to have any with the short time of winter that's left.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 16, 2011

We have a month and a half left of winter!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2011

A month and a half isn't too long, considering that we haven't cancelled school even when over a foot of snow fell on a given day and/or it was 20 below zero.